SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All,

Having had to pack up my scalextric set at the start of the year after only just getting the C7042 6 car powerbase due to a house move I am only now in a position to get everything out again and have plans to build a semi-permanent track.

Space is limited and playing around with designs I am having problems placing the powerbase in a sensible place keeping within the space limit and having it accessable. Anyway long and short of it - does it matter which direction the cars run across the base to ensure the times are picked up. From my understanding there are two sensors - on optic and one pressure? - all illustrations indicate that with power base in front of you cars run right to left, however I'd like to run them left to right.

Does it make a difference?

Thanks,

Guy

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
In digital mode the APB (C7042) puts out A/C rather than D/C. This means you can run in either direction. In fact the only reason you can't run digital in both directions is that Scalextric was too tight to put sensors and flippers on both ends of a lane changer. When I win the lottery my first act will be to buy another set of lane changers and make bi-directional ones! (Well maybe not my first act - maybe an Aston Martin and Jag XF first then extra lane changers!!!)

There is a school of thought that some digital chips behave differently - more loss of ID in one direction than the other and this is cured by simply swapping the wires over on the guide. I am not sure if this makes a difference one way or the other. Bear in mind that if you run in the other direction it is effectively swapping the wires over so if you experience a massive leap in ID losses you know why!

There is a great solution to where to put the powerbase that I have seen on some layouts. It is possible to detach the power base unit from the track piece. This means soldering in extension wires but it is not too hard a job for the reasonably competent. This allows you to place your start/finish line anywhere you want and put the power base itself in a convenient spot. If you are really tight for space you could mount the powerbase underneath the track boards (just make sure you can operate the buttons easily and connect the hand controllers). If you get the ID loss issue you can turn the track piece around. Simples!

You can also get hand controller extension cables so you don't have to rub shoulders with your fellow racers.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can run either direction with the C7042 in digital mode and analogue mode, just change the direction of travel using the powerbase for analogue mode from either L-R or R-L for each lane or both lanes. I have had no problems running in either direction or lap counting but can only change lanes in the one direction in digital mode,for now.

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the info guy's - glad to hear it won't be an issue - but will take note of possibly changing the wires over with loss of car ID.
Mr Modifier - like the idea of 'seperating' the base unit from the track section. Did have a quick look 'under the cover' to see if you could flip the track section and can see what you mean by extending the wires.
Thanks again

Guy

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
I performed a base separation (admittedly, I need to go back and tidy up the cables!!) REasonably straight forward and gives me far more flexibility when positioning the track.

Good luck changing direction in analogue, I usually have a five minute swear-a-thon and bent braids before getting it right. Good to get the track back out though, I bet

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Snurfen - yes good to have a blast around the track again. Now in a position to hopefully build a semi-permanent track might even start a thread in the track section if time permits!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pointer Awallace - I'm aware from other forum posts that there are updates to the firmware, but not sure how to go about it? Basic instruction manual doesn't seem to mention it much?

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
The tool that Andy developed makes it very easy to update the firmware, and he did that free of charge to the benefit of all users not just users of SSDC so

Andy also worked up all the post 085 firmware updates to overcome some of the major bugs in the original Scalextric code inside the C7042, and again he did that for free, no commission from Hornby, no benefit to himself.

We need to appreciate his efforts to make life better for all us Scalextric digital users...

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
Well said Rikorocket. Andy is a true gent and his love of our hobby is plain to see.
Without folks like him, yourself, RichG and one or two others, we would be a much poorer community.

thanks to all of you, and I for one hope you will keep up your stirling work which is much to our benefit.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
....... without SSDC, I never would have wanted a PB-Pro and without these two crucial elements I would have not got much past the first couple of races with my first digital set way back in December 2009.

The new version coupled with the APB is lightyears away from the early days of Scalextric digital. Have a read of the early posts and then wonder why anyone ever stuck with digital racing. In the immortal words of Murray ....... FANTASTIC, ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts