SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I tried searching but couldn't find an answer to my precise problem. I've noticed that in analogue mode the C7042 powerbase occasionally registers that a lap has been completed even when there isn't a car anywhere near the powerbase. The most obvious time I've noticed this is when I'm driving a single car on my own, and the powerbase periodically records lap times on the track on which there isn't even a car! I have a fairly large track - I'm unsure how many feet it is, but it takes 6-7 seconds to complete with a reasonably quick car, so it's pretty easy to tell when the powerbase beeps and you're at the opposite side of the circuit!

Could it be a short that's causing these spurious readings, or should I be looking for some other problem?

I'm using firmware v1.09 and I use two powerbases. I have one XLC in the layout and two CLCs, on which I've performed the necessary surgery to allow their use in analogue.

This is my first post but I've been making use of the excellent advice on this forum for over a year. I'd be really grateful for any help you could provide on this occasion!

Cheers!

Mike

·
Greg Gaub
14,653 Posts
This sounds like the lap count problems some people got with certain cars on the lane changers.
Is your XLC an early model where the rails of the crossing lanes come close to the rails of the primary lanes? If so, paint over about 1/8" of each rail at those points with some black enamel. If not, then there should be a noticeable gap in those spots already. Next thing to check is chip version, as it seems the Rev F. DPR chips were the most likely to cause this problem.
I'm not sure this is the problem or that those things will fix it, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Hi Mike,

Glad you brought this up as I've also noticed this as well recently whilst doing solo testing on Display-Pro as I can actually see the last 10 laps so it's more obvious. However, it's not related to Display-Pro as I could replicate it with the Scalextric tower alone.

In the end I worked it was happening when there was a brief short either when the car deslotted or when doing powerslides to the max angle. It only seemed to happened with cars where the braids were actually a bit longer than the guide (a Slot it & an SCX Dakar) and they momentarily touched across the slot on both sides of the rail when sliding to the limit or deslotting.

Even if the car didn't deslot the short would still cause the other lane to flash up a reading as if it had crossed the start line on that lane as well as recording a false lap time on it's own lane.

I haven't tried shortening the braids yet but the SCX Dakar braids are longer and looser anyway than a standard car because of the way they are fixed.

Of course your case might be something totally unrelated, but the shorting theory seems a likely candidate. I've never noticed it before so I wonder if it could be related to the 1.09 APB firmware, but there again I've never had a fast oval rad 4 track before ...

Cheers
Chris

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Mike ...... welcome to the Forum

Whilst testing Display-Pro in both Analogue and Digital modes I encountered problems with lap counting. The causal event was identified as a short on the XLC cross-over points. I only used Scalextric cars with fairly short braids and so did not encounter the sliding that Chris has, but it shorts are not good.

You may find it useful to run your cars in darkness and watch the cars for all the sparks you get when the car shorts out.

All the best - Greg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I spent an hour testing this evening with various cars (including the ones I was using was using when I initially observed the problem) and unfortunately (or fortunately!) I couldn't replicate the problem.

The only thing I've done since last observing the problem is to run the hose of a vacuum cleaner over the track, so perhaps this got rid of whatever the culprit was. Although I'm quite sure I'll see the problem again in the future!

As for the XLC, I think it's a more recent version - I only bought it earlier this year, and the crossing rails seem quite far from the primary rails. For information, the cars I noticed the problem with before was a straight-out-of-the-box Scalextric Mercedes 300SLR (so with brand new, neat braids), and an ancient Scalextric Sauber Mercedes (C468) with pretty untidy braids - so both cars lack any digital chip.

I haven't yet tried running it in darkness as unfortunately it's getting a bit light in the evenings and I have to at least try to be considerate to my flatmates!

I'll keep you posted if the problem comes back.

Thanks again!

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts