SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have now bought a C75 Scalextric Mercedes 190sl car. Its not in a bad shape at all, but I was wondering if anyone knows which side the contrate gear fits, I have looked at pictures and some are on the right hand side and some on the left hand side, so which do you think is the correct side and does it matter?

It has a magnet at the front of the motor does anyone know if this magnet was to try and hold the car to the track or is it a part of the motor.

Last but not least, how easy is it to rewire, This is an old car and it looks to me to be in original condition, which means everything is stiff, the braids are hard the tyres have got to be replaced, and it has got new bumpers front and back. Do you think that cars like this should be brought back to life or do you think it is what it is leave it alone.

Any answers to my questions or thoughts would as always be very gratefully received.

Athrlyth

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
When Kev pops along he will probably show you a whole fleet of them .....

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
That`s the motor magnet mate.
It should still be okay, but when they lose magnetism the motor runs slow & hot.
They can be re-zapped for under a fiver (google the engineworks).
Here`s what they look like underneath. Definitely worth getting going again. Phil Smith (scaleslotcars) should have any other parts you need.
Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
166 Posts
I checked some 190's and Healeys , and all gears were on the right, as were motor brushes , motor turning clockwise. Old wire is OK since there's no flex needed. New tires a must, I am using NOS Strombecker fronts on the rear of these cars.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kev and Gar, Thank you both for your replies. I have been looking at as many pictures as I can, including the ones sent by Kev (loosesalute) and it doesn't seem to matter which way the motor is placed in its cradle as both ways seem to work fine, as with the contrate gears. Is there any way to turn a yellowing white car back to its original white state? I'm guessing not but worth the question I think. Your cars look to be immaculate Kev. I will check the magnet out today, four new tyres are on order.

Thanks again guys, as always a great response.

Athrlyth

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
A lot of old cars were made out of an oily plastic Athrlyth. Depending on storage the oil can leech out causing yellowing on certain white cars. My white Jouef GT40 cars are especially bad for this.
(Or, your car could have came from a smokers house!)
Try polishing with Autoglym colour restorer followed by their Super resin polish.
If it`s really bad try a very fine cutting compound polish.
Cheers
Kev.

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
The motor should only be fitted in the body one way, Kev's is wrong! If you look closely there is a cut out in the body for clearance for the motor brushes.
I guess Sclaextric fitted the Contrate in a particular way but it can go on either side, just fit it the way that makes the car go forwards!
Original braids were quite stiff and they always benefit from fitting something a little softer, fitting new braids is quite tricky as they have to be soldered to the lead wires first.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Athrlyth,

I thought about leaving my Merc 'as is' when It was given to me but I really thought that I could give the old car a new lease of life. The car had the brown marks, was more yellow than white, the tyres were shot and it was missing a few bits and pieces here and there.

Before and after:

I gave the car a good clean, repainted it in a Mercedes white, new tyres, bumpers, painted the driver and a front headlight. I gave the motor a good clean with WD40 and also buffed up the brass/metal components while the car was in pieces. The car now looks great and best of all out of the few vintage cars I have with the RX motor this one runs the best.

Matt

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Hi Phil. There is a clear recess in the white car. The blue one does not have this recess.
The motor is fitted exactly the same way.
Cheers
Kev

·
Phil Smith
2,626 Posts
I just checked a few bodies, some have the hole some don't so I guess they must have had a problem with the brushes fouling the body on the earlier cars and made a hole for some clearance on the latter ones.
The Healey has a recess moulded into mount for the same reason, they all seem to have this.

·
Martyn
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the pictures above show that the motor brushes are on the opposite side to the contrate gear, so to me it doesn't seem to matter which way the motor is put in. I have seen pictures where this is not the case and the car must still work fine I guess.

Thanks to all for your interesting comments on what is a great little car. I would really like to get my car race ready, I do remember that apart from the Austin Healey 3000 there was nothing to touch these two cars for speed and road holding. of course the cars they were up against also had RX motors such as the Aston Martin DB4 and the Ferrari Berlinetta. I hope the Mercedes can hold its own, but its not the real reason for buying this model again, although I do have happy memories.

Thanks for all your help.

Athrlyth

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just a few more notes, the motor turns clockwise when viewed from the pinion end, with power, red(+)from the insulated motor brush to the right braid, and black (-) from the motor ground, to left brush, unless the magnet has been turned around. Best to run the wires over the front axle. That's the way we run our cars around here though technically it does't matter as long as all the cars go forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts