SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right y'all,

I've got a venue, a track and some cars... the question is, would anyone care to join me for a bit of proper oval-based NASCAR racing on Friday, July 15th?

I know that we're well served in our area for clubs, with Bolwextric on Mondays, Alton and Winchester on Tuesdays, Farnham on Wednesdays, Bolwextric, Haydon and Home Farm on Thursdays, plus Molesey isn't far away.

However - this is simply oval racing. For the fun of it. With box stock Scalextric and SCX Stock Cars.

On a Friday.

Venue
The venue will be The Pirrie Hall in Brook, which is just off the A286 Haslemere Road between Milford and Haslemere. Opening at 19:30 and running until 22:00.

Track
The track will be a 4-lane routed oval, measuring 8ft x 4ft. It's not big, but it is fun and more difficult than you'd think. It should be a a question of getting into a good rhythm - and staying there, despite the presence of other cars in your lane.

It's not banked, but it does remind me of the half mile at Bristol. Certainly races will be every bit as frantic.

The lanes taper in towards one another in the turns, creating a realistic racing line and ensuring that, in proper NASCAR fashion, "Rubbin' is Racin'!" Contact is allowed, although just as in the real races, there's a big difference between a 'bump and run' pass and gratuitously taking someone out.

Running close is classy:

Pile-ups are not classy:

As per virtually every analogue club, everyone gets to race each other on every lane in order to ensure parity. The grid will form up down the full length of the frontstretch, with the outside lane first and the inside lane last. That means while you may have an advantage on the inside lane, you'll have to negotiate traffic to use it!

Meanwhile those in the outer lanes can drive as defensively as they dare or just go for gold.

Cars
Keeping things simple, cheap and cheerful, the event will be for box-stock NASCAR stock cars.

The classes will be based on those for which I can provide loan cars. Feel free to bring your own cars with or without magnets - (ferrous fiends won't work anyway!) - but make sure that tyres, motor, gears and guide are those which came out of the factory. Scalextric Pro and SCX Pro cars won't be elligible to run. Instead there will be three simple classes on the night:

NASCAR Inline - Scalextric Pontiac Grand Prix or Ford Taurus, SCX Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, Dodge Charger or Ford Fusion

Scalextric Anglewinder - box standard Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Ford Taurus

Car of Tomorrow
- box standard Scalextric Chevrolet Impala or SCX Chevrolet Impala, Toyota Camry and Ford Fusion

Extras
There will be at least one screen with NASCAR race footage playing, a subtle backing track of rock, blues and country music... and maybe some nibbles.

If we are all packed up by 10.30 there are also the charms of the Dog and Pheasant over the road to be explored for post-race discussions before bed-time!

Club Potential
If it all goes well on the night, I'm keen to try and get this branch of slotting underway as a regular Friday night fixture - I'm guessing monthly or bi-weekly.

Before I invest in the timing equipment and extra barriers needed to make a really good quality club setup - and build a proper Victory Lane! - I just thought that this would be a fun thing to do before the summer holidays kick in. If there is enough interest to make a club then, come September, I'll open up on a regular basis.

If there's interest in becoming a club it may be possible to add a few more classes (Oldimer Carrera/Revell, Muscle Cars... suggestions welcome).

So there we are. Fancy taking a look at the dark side of turning left only? A sociable evening out? A chance to run your stock cars as nature intended? Then you've got a time, place and date.

Please feel free to add thoughts, and do post to let me know if you want to come along on July 15. I'm sure it will be a bit of a giggle.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Count me in Nick.

Could even fetch along a set of Scalextric Superstox for some extra "last man running" fun, if there's time.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You mention yourself the number of clubs down there. This venture looks fun, but given the portability of the track in question, and the fact the clubs you mention probably all want more members, would it not be better to use it in collaboration with them rather than dilute things yet further?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Pencil me in for the moment and I'll confirm nearer the time. Looks like great fun so I'll try and make the effort for the first one.

Adrian.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the interest chaps. I'll keep you posted on updates.

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 15 Jun 2011, 21:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You mention yourself the number of clubs down there. This venture looks fun, but given the portability of the track in question, and the fact the clubs you mention probably all want more members, would it not be better to use it in collaboration with them rather than dilute things yet further?

Very good point, Monty, and one I did chew over quite a bit before taking the track on. I'm treating this as a one night only deal at the moment, hopefully a bit of fun for all.

It all depends on uptake to see whether firstly there is much interest in running an oval and secondly on what basis. I'm keeping the track at the hall - no space for it at home - and they're happy to let me run it - but turning that into a club is a different kettle of fish.

It's not really all that portable a setup without a Transit so rocking up like Papa Lazarou's circus isn't really an option. If it proves popular, perhaps one of the other clubs might be interested in partnering up and running from their place rather than my local village hall.

I think that the memberships are reasonably strong with good turn-out everywhere, the preferences between the clubs being whether you want to spend hundreds of pounds on cars for lots of different classes or hundreds of pounds tuning the bejeezes out of one or two cars!

This is a very different school of racing, though. It's more accessible to regular circuit racers than drag or rally, for instance, but still very different. The Farnham boys might never be the same again after an evening of legitimate nerfing!

Thanks for the thoughts, keep 'em coming!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Scott @ 15 Jun 2011, 19:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Now that sounds different.

I've long fancied running my NASCARs and IRLs on an oval.

Friday's likely to be maritally challenging, but I'll at least come along for the first few.

Thanks Scott. I think I'll have to stock up on chicken wire before any IRLs take to the oval. I'd love to run them - although marshals will probably need a catcher's mitt!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 16 Jun 2011, 09:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the thoughts, keep 'em coming!

Ah, I was in error with regard to the portability, which does change things. However, it is clear you wish to enhance the scene down there rather than dilute it, so I wish you well however it goes.

I think we have all seen or heard the scenarios where club B is formed from people who leave club A and the like. With the number of racers finite it is no surprise to check back on the clubs 2 years later to find both A and B have folded. This used to happen a lot in RC racing, people had this habit of leaving a club because every little thing was not exactly how they wanted, only to kill it and their new club by doing so.

On the flip side, it is possible to get new people into slots (that has been the backbone of the HO scene's strides the past decade) or re-energize those already in it by offering them something new.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Mr Hash8, that's probably the most persuasive post I've ever seen on the forum.
How can I not come after that?
Cheers,
Richard

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 15 Jun 2011, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But if you can't wait till then for a bit of LEFT TURN RACING do you fancy a trip to ESSEX

This What We Are Running On The THORNDIKE OVAL

Green with envy over that track, Michael! I'd very much like to digitise a car and come over. How's it running?

QUOTE (montoya1 @ 16 Jun 2011, 10:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think we have all seen or heard the scenarios where club B is formed from people who leave club A and the like. With the number of racers finite it is no surprise to check back on the clubs 2 years later to find both A and B have folded. This used to happen a lot in RC racing, people had this habit of leaving a club because every little thing was not exactly how they wanted, only to kill it and their new club by doing so.

Completely agree, and that's why I'm hoping that an oval will be able to add something to the general scene in the area. I love my weekly outing to Farnham and am planning to put my cars on their roofs at a couple of other local clubs in the next few weeks!

QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 16 Jun 2011, 10:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mr Hash8, that's probably the most persuasive post I've ever seen on the forum.
How can I not come after that?
Cheers,
Richard

Thanks Richard - almost got our first quartet already!

Just noticed Gareth's post as well. I'll keep a 'possibles' list!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found a great quote by Junior Miller, a NASCAR short oval driver, on NASCAR.com:

"Anybody between me and that checkered flag is personal. If I can get there and make 'em move, I'm gonna make 'em move."

Got to love this stuff, really!

The man in action:

Going to be fun, is this!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'd love to come and race but I live a 3 hour drive away, but I will be at Goodwood on the 1st of July so could pop in and have a look afterwards if you're free on the 1st, though I suspect I'll be a bit tired.

Makes me wonder if there's people in East Anglia who would want to race NASCARs on a short oval, I must have the track to make one out of Classic track, but it looks pretty easy to route, and there's a carpenter lives round the corner from me.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 16 Jun 2011, 11:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to come and race but I live a 3 hour drive away, but I will be at Goodwood on the 1st of July so could pop in and have a look afterwards if you're free on the 1st, though I suspect I'll be a bit tired.

Hi Julian,

Don't worry - won't be up and running by the 1st! Enjoy Goodwood, the traffic goes past my front door so it's a good opportunity for spotting exotica!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
QUOTE (driver#8 @ 16 Jun 2011, 11:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Green with envy over that track, Michael! I'd very much like to digitise a car and come over. How's it running?

We ran it for the 1st time properlyish a few weeks aga and it ran great

A credit to Lee who built it

As for cars no need to bring your own everthing is supplied just bring yourself

1 - 20 of 33 Posts