SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 1004 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
So who's going to be building an entry for The Greatest Show on Earth?

Here's a list of some of the suitable bodies:-

AA Bodies (Resin)
Chaparral 2E
Ferrari 612P
Lotus 19B
McLaren M8A

Bauer (Resin)
Porsche 910

Classic (Fibreglass)
Lola T70
McLaren Mk II
Honker
McLaren M6A
Lola T160

Fly / GB Track (Injection plastic)
Porsche 908 Spyder
Porsche 917PA
Porsche 917/10
Porsche 917/10K
Porsche 917K
Ferrari 512S
Ferrari 512M
Ford GT40
Lola T70 Mk IIIB Coupe

Historic Scale Racing Cars (Injection plastic)
McLaren M8D

Maxi Models (Resin)
Ferrari 612P*
Lola T160
Lola T160TS
McLaren M6
McLaren M6B

MRRC (Injection plastic)
Shelby King Cobra

Nostalgia Raceways (Resin)
Alfa Romeo T33/3
Alfa Romeo T33TT12
Brabham BT8
BRM P154
Chaparral 2E
Chaparral 2G
Chapparal 2J
Elva Mk IV
Ferrari 350 Can-Am
Ferrari 312P Coupe
Ferrari 512S
Ferrari 512M
Ferrari 612P
Honker
King Cobra
Lola T70
Lotus 30
McLaren M8A
McLaren M12
Porsche 910

Proto Slot Kit (Resin)
Lola T70
Ferrari 350 Can-Am

Resilient Resins (Resin)
Lola T70
Lotus 19
Lotus 23
Shelby King Cobra

Scalextric (Injection plastic)
Ford GT40

Top Slot (Resin)
Ferrari 712P
Porsche 910*
Chaparral 2E*
Chaparral 2G*
Chaparral 2H*
Chaparral 2J*

DP Slot (Resin)
Ferrari 312P Coupe
Ferrari 612
Ferrari 712

Betta (30 thou styrene)**
Alfa Romeo T33/3
Alfa Romeo T33TT12
Lola T160
Autocoast Ti-22
BRM P154
Porsche 917 Can Am
Porsche 917/10
Porsche 917/30
Lola T220
Lola T260
Lola T310
Matra MS650
McLaren M8A
McLaren M20
Shadow Mk II
Shadow DN2
Shadow DN4

*Soon to be released

**Many of the Betta vacuum-formed bodies have moulded-in wings and rollover bars. Some of the bodies would need some work to achieve an acceptable standard. Note that with bodies that have windscreens, in addition to the styrene body, a clear Lexan body needs to be cut up to provide the windscreen.

I'm really looking forward to building for this one!

Sorry, no VMG bodies allowed!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi Russell
Some of the Betta bodies are near scale, the BRM P154 looks very good as does the Ti-22 and Alfa T33/3. An old Formula 32 chassis from the late 70's would be ideal as most of the above bodies were made for these S.W.B chassis, best remove the Mura Gp20 "B" can motor and half pound of lead first!

Any idea if/where the UK round will be held?

[oneofwos]

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love the Betta vac Autocoast, John!

Dates will hopefully be finalised soon.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
What's the deadline?

And also, what would be a good vac body which would require the least amount of work, and yet still look okay?

Andy

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Oh wow! This is music to mine ears! I got about 10 cars all ready to wrap up and go! Va-va-voom! Fresh braids, new tyres, I'm rockin'! Hold me back momma....

Time to start my long delayed Macca M1B yet?
What are the dates?

Best body with least work- hmmm. Lancer M6A?

·
Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,230 Posts
QUOTE Best body with least work- hmmm. Lancer M6A?
Unfortunately,I don't think it would comply with the .030 rule for vac bodies.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I do not remember or have seen all the Betta vac bodies that Russell has listed but i can tell you that the BRM P154 is as near as spot on as you will get with very little extra work involved just a bit of detailing such as mirrors Etc Etc, also it fits the 1/32 TSRF chassis like a glove [if they are legal to use in this proxy series].

If you are after the extra points then the M8A is a good choice as it's quite a bit narrower than the others i have seen and if you want low then one of the Shadow's would be a good choice.
[oneofwos]

QUOTE (McLaren @ 17 Jan 2005, 15:48)What's the deadline?

And also, what would be a good vac body which would require the least amount of work, and yet still look okay?

Andy
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Russell,

Thanks for the body list - it's a lot longer than I expected - did all those closed-roof cars actually run in the Can Am series at some point?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Gary,

The Scalextric Ford GT40 would qualify -- as would the Hornby plastic kit body. The list is not exhaustive. Canadian Eppie Wietzes drove a Ford GT40 in a couple of the Can-Am series races in 1966.

Dennis -- Indeed they did. In fact, in 1970 some of the FIA World Sports Car Championship contenders who competed in the Watkins Glen 6-Hour stayed on for the Can-Am race, held the next day. They caused quite an upset, the result being:-

1. Denny Hulme McLaren M8D Chevrolet
2. Jo Siffert Porsche 917K (John Wyer Automotive)
3. Richard Attwood Porsche 917K (Salzburg KG)
4. Vic Elford Porsche 917K (Salzburg KG)
5. Mario Andretti Ferrari 512S (Ferrari SEFAC)
6. Gijs van Lennep Porsche 917K (Martini Racing Team)
7. Brian Redman Porsche 917K (John Wyer Automotive)
8. Bobby Brown McL'Eagle M6B Chevrolet
9. Dan Gurney McLaren M8D Chevrolet
10.Gérard Larrousse Porsche 908/02 (Martini Racing Team)

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
290 Posts
this sounds great!

@russell: where can I buy(on internet ,hopefully)

Nostalgia Raceways (Resin)
Alfa Romeo T33/3
Alfa Romeo T33TT12

Betta (30 thou styrene)**
Alfa Romeo T33/3
Alfa Romeo T33TT12

-Betta and Nostalgia are "family" ?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi E-Racing,

The Nostalgia Raceways bodies are made by John Bacon in Australia and can be ordered from Dave's Hobby Centre.

The Betta bodies can be ordered from AB SlotSport in the UK.

I suspect that the Betta bodies may be 64mm wide; but then all the Fly / GB Track and Proto Slot Kit bodies (made to fit Fly / GB Track chassis) are oversize....

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the more adventurous scratchbuilder, there's always the Hamill, PAM, Cherokee, Genie, Mirage, McKee, Caldwell, Ford G7A, Mac-It, Burnett, Merlyn, Wolverine, Chinook, Stanton, McLaren Goth Special, Denmacher, Webster, Platypus, BVC, Open Sports Ford, Fiberfab Valkyrie, Rattenbury, Hodges LSR, Costello, KMW, Sting and few others, that you could model.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Always had a soft spot for the Mac's-it Special, Russell!
And I wonder if I could get a Tiny Tyre Shadow ready....
What was the date again?

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I will confirm dates ASAP. Probably late March for the first round.

Tracks are still to be confirmed. The UK rounds are up in the air owing to Graham Windles bad health,but maybe some one else can assist. I am sure Chris Briggs will be only too happy to run one round and we are hoping Victor will run one again this year. We will have at least 4 rounds down here with the possibility of two other tracks joining us. I know Graham had some talks with two other UK venues so if his health improves up to five rounds may be held.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Hi Phil
If there are problems finding UK venues then please get in touch with me, the NLondon club [NLSME] would be more than pleased to host a round for this event.

[oneofwos]

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Hi guys Im back and feeling much better apologies to every one but Ive been pretty rough since august. .Re the uk races I will hold one round on one of the three current tracks and I spoke to john last year about a southern race at North London dates are yet to be confirmed but as late in the year as possble wil be best All the cars arre on there way back from last year so you should be getting them soon .Although I havent given much input into this years event so far I think the format looks great . I had planned to auction my last years car for a good cause at xmas and I think that should now be for the Tsunami appeal So I will be putting that on ebay in the next few days .Thanks for all your patience guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
Phil,

I know that March seems a long time in the future, but I would certainly appreciate a little more time. Those of us in the US have to wait quite a while to get bodies, etc. from Europe and Australia.

Thanks,

Jim

1 - 20 of 1004 Posts