SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As requested to detail the build up of the car, thought I would start a new topic for this.

So the Ferrari Can Am expedition started in September 67, in the guise of the P3 converted to 365 Can Am, where Luigi Chinetti with the help of the concessionaries division of Ferrari entered the converted P3 at Mosport. They, were however 5 seconds off the pace. The Hans Tanner book stated that two rear air intake ducts. I have however found this pic from the 67 Sport Auto, which is the first time I have ever seen this pic (just goes to show how the cars changed from race to race) with a single air intake.

By the time 1969 came around, it had become far more of a privateer attempt, as the factory was no longer giving direct support, and the car was based in Detroit. To say that it was not a great challenge in the series would be an understatement.

The following are pics of the car (that I have - please feel free to add additional pic's) as it developed through the year: (Note pics are for view only as I am sure copyright exists on the pic's)

Watkins Glen (2nd race of year) 13/7/1969

Mid Ohio 17/8/1969

Road America 31/8/1969

Michigan 28/9/1969

I have bought 3 kits of the Ferrari 612. The first is from RMS Resins, that I believe uses a copy of the original Aurora car, the 2nd is also an RMS produced car, but it is an updated version of the Aurora and then I have the Maxi Models Version.

The 3 versions:

On the right the updated RMS body, the centre is the Aurora copy and on the left is the Maxi Models kit.
Close up of the two kits:

The RMS kit - a good kit but a little crude vs the maxi Models offering.

The superb Maxi Models kit. Chassis, white metal parts and etched parts included.

The original RMS Aurora Copy

Virtually as it arrived - had a snip out of the rear air-dam, which I fixed with model putty and strengthened with epoxy glue.

After Spray painting and fitting chassis to body. i used Halfords rattle cans.

decaled with slotcars4u decal set.

Long way to go yet but detail painting started, and wheel inserts fitted. (Revell fronts and Pattos rears, with BWA inserts)

More to follow - hope you enjoy.....

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Anthony,

The 1968 Ferrari 612P was specifically-designed for Can-Am and was a fully-fledged factory effort, although it didn't show up until the last race of 1968, at Las Vegas. It was driven by Chris Amon.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Anthony,

As requested, here are a couple of more pictures:-

How is the build(s) coming along? Please post some progress pictures.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
re member
4,023 Posts
Lovely car that Ferrari....I've seen the RMS advertised but not the Maxi models product.

Lately a question I have been asking about any resin body shell is....how heavy is it ?

I have had Ocar bodies at over 30 grams and similar bodies from other sources at 12 grams.

I would be interested to know the weight of the RMS body kit...??? and the Maxi kit?

My recent thinking...
Heavy body with a heavy chassis might be OK
Light body with a heavy chassis is better
Light body with light chassis might be OK
Heavy body with a light chassis is.......wrong

regards

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the finished car:

For the first time (for me ) the car is better in the flesh than it seems in my pic's

Still needs Guide added, used a Riko chassis and motor.......

Thought i would add these pics as well of another 612 as well. Picked this up a few months ago - the absolutely superb work of ted Martin...... I cannot tell you more than it is 1/24th scale, 68 Ferrari 612, with modern PCS chassis..... maybe Ted could fill us in ?

Enjoy.......

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Munter

With regard to weight:

The RMS (body only) is 22,5g
Complete is 38,5g (no chassis)

maxi Models is: (Body only) 32,8
Complete inlcu white metal and etched 76,8g

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A VERY unexpected pleasure this weekend at Silverstone was to see this!

Did not get more race pics as it started pelting with rain and the Ferrari 'disappeared' (assume owner took it off as most of the cars did not start with rain tyres).

What amazed me is the car is SMALL and really compact- for sure the topslot car is over scale .....

·
Kitbasher
4,253 Posts
QUOTE What amazed me is the car is SMALL and really compact

I think that the 712P you saw at Silverstone is smaller than a 612...

Great pics, thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Hi Anthony,
The car you saw at Silverstone is usually called the 712M.
It was based on the endurance racing 512M, I believe it used the same chassis, but fitted with open bodywork and a bigger engine.
Andretti drove it the first time and was not impressed.
It was later sold to Jim Adams who raced it in later seasons with a 5 litre engine installed as Ferrari would not sell the bigger engine.
As far as I can tell the Top Slot model is spot on 1/32 scale.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The Top Slot model was quite a while ago. If you can find one,it might be a bit pricey. Otaki did a 712 kit listed as 1/28th
but it is just about spot on 1/32nd scale and usually fairly easy to find. The top Slot 712 is better IMHO.
TED.....

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
A friend of mine has a Otaki 712 kit. Seemed a little on the wide side. And at least 1cm. on the long side. Nothing that can't be rendered. If anyone has a top slot 712 that they would be willing to sale I would be interested.

Sorry for the topic hijacking.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I always thought the 1967 Ferrari Can Am was called a 350P. The engine was an uprated V12 bored out to 4.2 litre. There were no P3's in 1967 they were the previous years model. Maybe it was based on a spare P3 chassis from 1966. I know David Piper had this engine at one time. I have never heard it called a 365 that I believe is 4.4 litres and some of the 1964-1965 P and P2 series raced with that size engine. The 712P has been around for a few years I saw it race last year at Silverstone in the CER Classic Racing Series also at Silverstone.
Regards Allan

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Allan,

You are correct. The 1967 car was designated a 350 P4. It started life as a Ferrari 330 P3/4, chassis #0844, in 1966. It was updated to 412 specs for the 1967 Daytona 24-Hours (Rodriguez/Guichet; 3rd), before being converted to a Can Am 'Spyder'. This is the 'single snorkel' car, which was sold to Harley Cluxton, in Anthony's photo.

17.9.1967 Chevron GP, Bridgehampton, Long Island, No. 32 Ludovico Scarfiotti, 7th.
23.9.1967 Player's 200, Mosport Park, No. 32 Ludovico Scarfiotti, DNF.

There were two other '350 P4s':-

Chassis #0858 was also converted to a 350 P4 Can Am 'Spyder' and driven by Jonathan Williams (car #27) in three races of the 1967 Can Am series, before going to Australia, where it was raced in the Tasman Series round at Surfers Paradise by Amon/McKay. In 1968 it competed in the Springbok Series in South Africa, entered by Team Gunston and driven by Paul Hawkins and John Love. Mike Hailwood then drove it at Magny Cours, before the car went back to South Africa, where it was entered in the 1969 Springbok Series and driven by Walker/Widdows.

15.10.1967 Monterey GP, Laguna Seca, No. 27 Jonathan Williams, 8th.
29.10.1967 L.A. Times GP, Riverside, No. 27 Jonathan Williams, DNF.
12.11.1967 Stardust GP, Las Vegas, No.27 Jonathan Williams, DNF.

1968: Tasman Series: Surfers Paradise: Amon/McKay; DNF.

1968: Springbok Series: Kyalami 9 Hours; 3rd. Capetown 3 Hours; 1st. GP Bulawayo; 1st. GP Rhodesia; 2nd. Lourenco Marques 3 Hours; 2nd. Pietermaritzburg 3 Hours; 1st. East London 500Km; 1st. All with Hawkins.

1968: Magny Cours: Hailwood; 1st. Dijon: Hailwood; DNF.

1969: Springbok Series: Kyalami 9 Hours; DNF. Capetown 3 Hours; DNF. Lourenco Marques 3 Hours; 2nd. GP Bulawayo; DNF. Pietermaritzburg 3 Hours; DNS. All with Walker/Widdows.

Chassis #0860 - 1967: Le Mans: Mairesse/ Beurlys; 3rd. BOAC 500, Brands Hatch: Amon/Stewart; 2nd, then converted to 350 P4 Can Am car:

15.10.1967 Monterey GP, Laguna Seca, No. 23 Chris Amon, 5th.
29.10.1967 L.A. Times GP, Riverside, No. 23 Chris Amon, 8th.
12.11.1967 Stardust GP, Las Vegas, No. 23, Chris Amon, DNF.
01.09.1968 200 Miles Road America Can Am, Elkhart Lake, No. 22 Pedro Rodriguez, 13th.
15.09.1968, Bridgehampton GP, Long Island, No. 22 Pedro Rodriguez, DNF.

Nice build, Anthony!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Chassis 0858 was here in Australia for some time, it was driven by Amon while he was here for the Tasman series ,then Bill Brown raced the car here in the sports car championship,but was mostly over shadowed buy the Matich.

The Ferrari was a great car and I will never forget the sound of it over the Longford village in early morning practice during the Tasman weekend.

This I the car both Dave B and I have cast and modeled, one of those cars you never forget from your teen years!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the photos of the Top Slot 710 CanAm car.

Don't know if I will ever get it built, have had it now for a number of years. Even have the fly 512 chassis for it.

Alan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have this version of the 612, driven by Jim Adams, in resin by a French maker. I haven't finished it yet, but I do have the decals.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts