SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. Iam 16 and new to slot forum. Iam making a circuit at the moment and got all on the boards. My circuit has a cross over and i need help on that bit. Iam trying to make it realistic (thinks it spelled right). How do i make it rised and make it look realistic and make it look like a hill. plz help me. e-mail me at [email protected] or post a replay on here. (if there is any links pictures plz tell me)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Welcome to Slot Forum, Stuart.

I highly recommend you run right through this particular board, Tracks & Scenery, from start to finish. Actually, I suggest you start with the oldest posts and work forwards. You will find a TON of useful and very interesting information. If you read the posts, you will definitely find links to even more sources outside of SF.
Here is a link to one of our Topics to get you started.
Building Scenery

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Stuart - welcome to SlotForum and thanks for the email.

To make the bridge support on my latest circuit, I slid a piece of 6mm plywood under (what would become) the raised section of track.

I then drew around this so that I had the track shape marked on the plywood and cut it out using a jig-saw.

I then placed this track underlay back under the track and got just about any old thing to prop it up until the gradients seemed about right.

At this stage you need to drive the circuit to make sure everything flows nicely.

When you are happy with everything, you need to replace the temporary supports with something permanent. For this I just cut some lengths of approx. 50mm x 25mm wood (anything similar is fine) to size and replaced the temporary supports with these. When it seems OK put a blob of PVA glue both ends of each support in turn and glue them between the baseboard and ply track underlay. Leave this to set overnight.

Drive the track again and if you have any weak bendy spots or bad cambers put in more blocks until its solid and drives right.

After that it's pretty well up to you - there are literaly dozens of techniques for making scenery and I really can't give you a full answer here. However, if you follow Tropi's advice and look around SlotForum you'll find a good many of these techniques already described right here.

War Gaming and Model Railway mags are a useful resource also.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
G'day Stuart,
A good starting point within this forum is here
It has several construction articles that will help and inspire you.

My own layout is still at temporary support stage and has been for 5 months. The hardest part has been to find a layout that I like to drive within the current space I have. Its taken 3 years but I'm almost there.
I use a slightly different way to JohnP's method to build supports. Rather than using square wood pieces, a friend recommended using wood dowel. It makes it easier for me of limited woodworking skills to bank curves.

Good luck and don'tr be afraid to keeping asking q's, we all learn something new that way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts