SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use acetone-free nail polish remover to strip the paint from car bodies but have never had to remove print (crew names and flags) from car windows before. I'm sure the polish remover will cloud the plastic. Is there another way?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
If you want to get rid of the whole lot, soak the window piece in methylated spirits or isopropyl alcohol (meths is just cheaper). If you only wish to get rid of some of the printing then patience and a bunch of cotton buds dipped in same is the go.

I removed the names and one sponsor from the window of my Lancer while retaining the Mitsubishi across the top of front and rear. It's a good thing to do while sitting under a shady tree with a beer or a bottle of red while waiting for a cool change to roll in and the house to cool down.

Embs

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Embs. I'll try the meths route first. Plenty of alcohol here. In fact you can buy it neat 100% for making Limoncello.

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
I have been thinking the same thing myself for a couple of days im glad somebody else asked the question first. personally I want to do a ken block fiesta from the abu dhabi scx car.I was jut consider getting someone to vacuum form me a new window. Ive tried nail varnish remover before with bad results I will have to try some of this Isoprpyl stuff. from what kind of places to you usually get it?

·
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 17 Jan 2012, 18:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many thanks Embs. I'll try the meths route first. Plenty of alcohol here. In fact you can buy it neat 100% for making Limoncello.
Better send me a few of those bottles of Lmoncello, Graham. Nothing better over ice on a hot Sunday afternoon.
I've only got a smidgen of the locally product left.

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
QUOTE (ironman @ 17 Jan 2012, 08:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been thinking the same thing myself for a couple of days im glad somebody else asked the question first. personally I want to do a ken block fiesta from the abu dhabi scx car.I was jut consider getting someone to vacuum form me a new window. Ive tried nail varnish remover before with bad results I will have to try some of this Isoprpyl stuff. from what kind of places to you usually get it?

Ironman - try Meths first. You can get it from any DIY store or general stores like Wilkinsons and it's much cheaper than Isopropyl alcohol.

Meths is the best for tampo printing on Scalextric cars - not so sure about other makes but it should be just as effective. It shouldn't fog your glass but if in doubt try it on a bit of the moulding that can't be seen from outside. Meths hasn't fogged any of my Scalextric or SCX glass.

I also have Isopropyl Alcohol and it doesn't seem to remove the tampo as quickly as Meths.

I use old cotton duvet covers/pillow cases to apply the meths using a gentle rubbing action. Nothing seems to happen for about 30 seconds then suddenly the tampo gradually disappears over another 30 seconds or so of rubbing.

·
6,455 Posts
Meths is perfect for SCX cars. Does a good job on Scaley. Not too bad on Pioneer. But nothing, absolutely nothing that I've found will budge the tampo on a Ninco.

·
Registered
129 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 17 Jan 2012, 19:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Meths is perfect for SCX cars. Does a good job on Scaley. Not too bad on Pioneer. But nothing, absolutely nothing that I've found will budge the tampo on a Ninco.

Caustic Soda?

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Stubbo @ 18 Jan 2012, 12:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Caustic Soda?
Anyone tried Citrus based paint stripper. I have used it to take transfers and stickers off the anti glare film on windows.

·
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (Ontheflipside @ 18 Jan 2012, 15:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone tried Citrus based paint stripper. I have used it to take transfers and stickers off the anti glare film on windows.
Great for all types of glue, but not had it dissolve any paint yet.

Not tried caustic soda yet. Reckon I might let the serf do that.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 17 Jan 2012, 08:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Many thanks Embs. I'll try the meths route first. Plenty of alcohol here. In fact you can buy it neat 100% for making Limoncello.

I love Italy too!
how's the windows? after too much limoncello I presume they're foggy

·
Tom Brown (Scorpus Flex)
1,214 Posts
thanks for all the replies, as soon as my car gets here ill try out a few different bits meths with probably be first

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm waiting for my cars to arrive too, but as soon as they do I'll try pure alcohol first, then I'll have the courage to take the car apart and start on the windows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 18 Jan 2012, 07:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great for all types of glue, but not had it dissolve any paint yet.

Not tried caustic soda yet. Reckon I might let the serf do that.

I have had success with metholated spirit (alcohol) on acrylic paint and tampo on car bodies.

As stated above you could try caustic (alkali e.g. Drain cleaner) on any enamel based coatings. It is what normal paint stripper is made from and it is safe for most plastics (I don't know about resin bodies though) it will also strip chrome plating from plastics too.

Regards

irco

1 - 20 of 21 Posts