SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all,

Well I got some boards for my layout today and started to find out exactly what feasible space I have for my layout.

So, I have come up with a layout within my space requirements using Ultimate Racer 3. I am new to using this software, hence the help required, plus my layout idea might suck!

Can anyone actually make it work, so I can also see elevations etc. I would love obviously at least one raised section, but perhaps two.

Also, I need to fit in a pit somewhere. I haven't placed any lane change tracks as again i thought I would ask you more experienced guys what you think.

Anyhow, I'm gonna shut up now and let you guys help out!

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, i started to put a few ideas together today.

Below are some pictures with comments/questions, i would really appreciate your feedback.

I know it currently does not feature digital track, but it will have the digital powerbase and at lease two lane change curves, plus, as you will see, i need a pit!

So, picture 1: The layout - is it just far too boring/stale?

Next one, power issues with the only join that wont fully join. If i tilt the track it will join, but suggestions needed!

The overpass/underpass - boring? General comments?

Lastly, how can i incorporate a pit? Perhaps here?

Thanks a lot guys, be as harsh as you like, i welcome your feedback!

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
That's a tight space. Your main problem is that all you've got are R2 turns. You need to get a few R1s in there to get things to fit better, and some R3 and R4 to add variety.
For that connection, it appears you're trying to bring too much of a gap together. Sport track is flexible, but it can be exceeded. You might need to get some 1/4 or short straights to help tweak things to fit better.
It's really going to be tough to design a layout to fit that board with only standard turns, straights and half-straights.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah thats a fair comment, I will invest in some R1 turns for sure.

Any suggestions on how I should adapt this then?

Just been on eBay for R1 curves, but no mega deals right now...hmmm...

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi BFM,
Just out of interest, why the u shaped table?
My experience is that if anyone stands there you'll find they block the view for others...
Maybe a good idea to think about the things you definitely want, ie that aren't variable, so that other decisions can be based around that.
If you have choice over table layout then think about reaching across to rescue crashed cars... access on 2 or 3 sides could help a lot.

Best advice I can give (and you'll see why if you look at my meandering 'loft' thread) is not to try to make your first track the final track. Set up, play, change, play, change, start again... you get the idea!
Over 2 years in the loft I'm on about the 7th significant evolution of the track. It might not look all that exciting, as it's quite long and thin, but all of the slotty chaps that have had a go have commented on what a lovely track it is to play on.
So go for slow evolution... keep the bits that are fun and exciting, and ditch the bits that cause crashes, or you can't reach, or that you're bored with.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hi boredfatman,

as MrFlippant says: the fun comes with different radii.

R1's are in general hard to handle, so not all drivers like them, however I added some at two locations. You may remove them
R3 an R4 add to the flow of a circuit.

Also "changing-radii-curves" are a challenge for each driver, as you have to play with the throttle, negotiating through such a corner.

I tried to omit short straights between curves. I do not like them as they tend to break the flow of a track.

I also turned your inner loop into an 8 which gives equal lane length for each lane (equal lane length does not mean equal lap times, but chances to get comparable lap times are higher).

I then also added borders You should at least have outer borders in the curves as this is important to allow for sliding.

It's just a rough sketch, to give you an idea. You will have to play with the layout, is it does not really fit at all places. (e.g. hairpin)

Diegu

PS: Personally, I race on Ninco and do not have Scalextric. I would like to try this one on Ninco, so I hope it's good for Scalextric as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 23 Jan 2012, 20:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi BFM,
Just out of interest, why the u shaped table?
My experience is that if anyone stands there you'll find they block the view for others...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. The U shaped table is due to a tumbledryer being on the opposite wall, the wife doesn't mind what i do with the garage so long as she can access that!

QUOTE (diegu @ 23 Jan 2012, 20:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi boredfatman,

as MrFlippant says: the fun comes with different radii.

R1's are in general hard to handle, so not all drivers like them, however I added some at two locations. You may remove them
R3 an R4 add to the flow of a circuit.

Also "changing-radii-curves" are a challenge for each driver, as you have to play with the throttle, negotiating through such a corner.

I tried to omit short straights between curves. I do not like them as they tend to break the flow of a track.

I also turned your inner loop into an 8 which gives equal lane length for each lane (equal lane length does not mean equal lap times, but chances to get comparable lap times are higher).

I then also added borders You should at least have outer borders in the curves as this is important to allow for sliding.

It's just a rough sketch, to give you an idea. You will have to play with the layout, is it does not really fit at all places. (e.g. hairpin)

Diegu

PS: Personally, I race on Ninco and do not have Scalextric. I would like to try this one on Ninco, so I hope it's good for Scalextric as well.

Diegu,

I really like the track design you have come up with there. Do you have the planner file as I would like to know exactly what amounts of each radius you have included...thanks.

The only thing missing from this design is a pit, which could be an issue but we shall see...

Thanks again...

BFM

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi Boredfatman,

Trying to crunch this nut of a layout you won't be bored for much longer.

You've received at lot of solid advice already, so only two additions:

QUOTE I know it currently does not feature digital track, but it will have the digital powerbase and at lease two lane change curves, plus, as you will see, i need a pit!

(1) I humbly suggest you do not rush out to buy those curved lane change pieces (CLCs) just yet. CLCs are radius R2, and having to fit two of those into your layout would significantly limit your options. In stead, get a couple of straight ones, they would fit into your layout on the two parallel straights.
(2) For the pit lane, please re-think your original plan. With a left hand pit lane entry on the straight furthest away from you (where the cars are going right-to-left), it seems you could make a pit lane fit into the space between the two straights provided there are no borders along your straights. This is a guesstimate, as I haven't tried laying the puzzle in a layout program, I'm just using my limited ability to judge by eye...

Hope this is helpful. Good luck, keep working on it!

Br,
Christian

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
Hi,
Pictures are worth etc. etc., so here's one showing my thoughts based on diegu's brilliant ideas. There's room for a CLC after all. The pitlane may be made shorter if you want room for e.g. your powerbase connectors. No borders here for clarity, however, as diegu says you will be needing some in the turns. There will be some trial and error involved before you make the whole thing fit due to the overpass, elevation etc.
Br,
Christian

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i carefully moved the wifes tumble dryer today which has enabled the space to become more usable.

So now i have a board that is 3600mm x 1200mm, a far more usable size!!

Also i purchased today 2 of the track extension packs that have the R1 hairpins in them with the associated straight track that leads into and out of them.

So, any ideas with this new space that has come up?!?!

Did have some photo's of the board as it is now, but stupid photobucket isn't working!! Arrrrgghhhh!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well photobucket has now decided to work!

So the photos:

So, track ideas...hmmm

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Hmm... can you take one back? ;-)
The squeeze R1s are VERY limiting. It would be better to have a couple packs of standard 45 degree R1 turns.
I rather like the layout that Diegu did. You can use that same idea, and extend the hairpin out into the center of the table using a couple R4 to straighten it out, or put a little wiggle on the way there with some spare turns.

·
Joel LeNoir
952 Posts
Table is looking better. And listen to Greg. More times than not the man comes up with some pretty good ideas.

Side note. I will be listing a bunch of digital stuff for sale next week. You live in the States?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (1 32 slotter @ 25 Jan 2012, 18:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Table is looking better. And listen to Greg. More times than not the man comes up with some pretty good ideas.

Side note. I will be listing a bunch of digital stuff for sale next week. You live in the States?

Hi thanks for the comments, yeah, Greg appears to know what he is talking about!

Unfortunately i don't live in the U.S, i live in the U.K...thanks though...

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
looking good, the tumble dryer move has played some big dividends and now you have a very nice table size in wich to plan something really nice....

Looking forward to seeing it shape.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, looking forward to getting this moving now.

A forum member, whom i have never met, should be visiting me on Saturday so I am sure he will have suggestions to make too. Then I have Monday off work so hoping to spend a good portion of time working on it!

Need to spend some time crimping all of my track.

My biggest concern is damp in the garage - as I live in the UK we spend most of our lives mildly damp!

Any suggestions on how best to cover the layout when not in use?

Thanks again all, really appreciate your input.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
you need to discover the magic of inox. It's a must for digital use and is also a great way of protecting track as well.

As far as covers go the best option is probably old sheets draped over the tables. But need to make sure you have easy access to the hoover as well..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (bigbird @ 25 Jan 2012, 21:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi
you need to discover the magic of inox. It's a must for digital use and is also a great way of protecting track as well.

As far as covers go the best option is probably old sheets draped over the tables. But need to make sure you have easy access to the hoover as well..

Hi,

A lot of people keep mentioning this magic "Inox", so I looked it up on eBay earlier. However, I wanted to make sure that I get the right one!

The only one i saw earlier said that it was not conductive...doesnt sound great for something that has to conduct electricity, or am i getting the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks...

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
yes that wording (non conductive ) does raise eyebrows but there are extensive threads on this topic covered elsewhere.

I got a bottle nearly 2 years ago and there is still half left, when i first applied it the software program i was running ( ssdc ) had to knock points of the pace cars to keep them to the time i had set.

Non conductive should be read as the opposite as it makes a big difference,with the rails crimped and inox applied there will be no power drops on the track.

Digital is very fussy on having clean rails and ones with good equal power for the full circuit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts