SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I attach a slot car chassis and motor to the body shell from this?

Will it cost more than just buying the slot car version?

Will it handle like a pig on roller skates?

Will it shatter into a million bits?

Will it be a massive waste of time?

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Give Pendles a ring & they might have a chassis for your model.
Don`t know about it being much cheaper once you`ve bought the kit & then the running gear, but you would have the added satisfaction of building your own car!
Will it break? The Scaley one tend to lose their rear wings & mirrors , so it would probably be no worse.
If you do build one remember to post some pics!
Cheers.
Kev

·
David J
3,182 Posts
If you have plenty of time to waste then it could be a good learning experience.

If it were me I'd buy the Scalextric version and be safe in the knowledge that it would look right and run well rather than waste a load of time and effort (not to mention money) and end up with something that's nowhere near as good as the Scaley car.

Having said that if you're a capable model builder then why not have a go. I just think if you had time on your hands you might be better off building a car that you can't just go out and buy.

The Scaley versions does run very well by the way, with magnet in it's a blast.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wasn't aware that new Airfix car kits were going to have space for clip in motors or guide??

The old Hornby kits had a static chassis and you had to chop it or buy the relevant Scalextric chassis and running gear, but at least the kit came with rubber tyres and Scalextric type wheels.

Your best but is to find a cheap rolling chassis to make it worth while

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Will it cost more than just buying the slot car version?
Probably

Will it handle like a pig on roller skates?
Depends what you put under it
Do you have the skill and knowledge to build something that goes much better than the standard slot car version?
If not, might as well stick with the standard slot car version.

Will it be a massive waste of time?
Not if you enjoy doing it.
Yes if all you don't enjoy doing it.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
As 300SLR says, it'll probably work out more expensive than buying an off the shelf job. But the building is an adventure. It's quite amazing how much you'll learn even in just trying to make an existing donor chassis fit underneath it. Does it really matter if the first attempt doesn't work as well as an RTR car? You'll improve with each one you attempt.

Go for it!! It's fun and it's frustrating. The major bonus is the buzz that you get the first time you see it trundling around the track. Nothing beats the "I made that" pride that you'll feel.

You'll know by the end of it whether or not you want to tackle another. And if you do there's so many more possibilities out there that aren't already available as RTR cars.

Let the adventure begin.
Embs

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... Think I'll build the kit as a kit first and see how much space there is in it and how it could be mounted onto an existing chassis. If all goes well I'll get another one and a "donor" car and start chopping. I've got an Alfa 155 and a BMW3 that won't be missed.

I was never going to scratch build, I was just wondering if some sort of universal chassis and running gear was available.

First step - Build the model.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Indeed there are several so called universal chassis available. All are adjustable to some degree. All will fit one project better than another.

Plastic 'universal' options include: Pendle's PCS32, Slot.it HRS2, MRRC Sebring, Plafit ($$$). And many, many more.

Metal options for consideration: Penelope Pitlane (several options available), MJK Engineering.

The list is far from exhaustive and no doubt others can add further suggestions.

And then, of course, you can always do a nip and tuck on a donor chassis from a dead RTR car.

The possibilities are close to endless. Then there's the prospect of building your own chassis.

Embs

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do wish Airfix would add a mould of the Scalextric chassis with the kit, they must know some of us are converting them, you can buy the Scalextric one for £7.82 but it only comes with the front axle, a rear would cost another £5.82 then there is the motor to add as well.

Scalextric probably feel they are offering a self decoration route with the pro-performance plain body model but that's £47, so a running chassis with a damaged body from Ebay or swap meet is still the cheapest option and rob the parts.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Harry
Pendle will knock you out a PCS chassis complete with all the running gear for £15 so all you will need is the body, not sure what that cost but I would imagine you could assemble a runner for under 25 quid
I would be sure that you would be able to fit the pcs chassis under the aston shell
It is not really scratch building but you can be pretty sure you will be building a unique model which only you have got

Cheers tony

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hello Harry old-bean.

Hope you got that rally fly-boy craned out of your barn OK.
Looks like he got himself in a right pickle with a landing like that.
If he'd had a propeller on the front, he might have cleared the barn & not had such a rotten landing.

Saw your Airfix conundrum, and thought I'd chip in with a rec.

Just doing a nippy little banger myself as it happens.
A 1968 Pontiac GTO, the bodys made by those nice Revell Monogram chaps.
Just like the Brits with Airfix, jolly good body, won't break the bank.

Anyhow.
I just scored a Monte-Carlo chassis from the chaps at Pendle, and it's rather nippy actualy.
Comes with a corking good engine.
All round alloys & pretty grippy lo-pros.
Side-winder setup, means I can still get the driver & front seats in.
& it's totaly adjustable in so many ways, I think you could get just about anything you care to think of to fit to it.
It's got 4 wheel drive as well & suspension, the acceleration and grip out of corners is simply first-class old chap.

It isn't a cheapy, but when you add together the costs of seperate motor, wheels, axles, tyres, chassis etc. I think it's a bit of a snip at the price.
Was going to use an SCX NASCAR chassis which are quite good for your old V8 nonsense, but couldn't get the little driver fellow in unless I decapitated the poor chap; just wasn't on really.

You even get one of those magnet whatnots, but we just rip those out and chuck 'em in the bin here.

Good luck with the mods. spider man.

Ta Ta

Si.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to lower the tone... how much was it?

Can get an in line one with bits and bobs for about for £15 but would like to keep the full interior. Have got myself a 1/32nd WW2 Japanese soldier who is about to get "Stigged" up for the driving job.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
A dime under 30 Sheckles.

Probably get a months package holiday in Greece for about that at the present.

Oh well...

...as old Barry Norman used to say:- "Yer pays yer money, and takes yer choc-ice".

Had to cut the back seats out, & a bit of the drivers inside door-panel for the 4x4, but if you don't want the 4x4 you just leave off the drive-belt, & no other sticky outy bits to stuff you.

Good show, converting that Jap into The Stig...
...just need an audio-book to listen to while you blast him round the track !

Cheers

Si.

Nothing like building your own motor up & beating those bog standard Detroit boys with a bit of home grown muscle.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Oh, bye the way Harry

The alloys are solid machined ali. & the axles come with 1/2 a dozen small spacers.

You should be able to get the width of the axle sets sorted, easy peasy, with that adjustability.

You can take the wheels on and off as many times as you like to check for fit, & no loose wheels at the end.

You will need a 0.9mm allen key to do this, and also to adjust the gear-cog and the suspension parts.

All proper stuff like.

Way cheaper than getting all those parts seperate, a good motor 'll set you back 20 bucks on it's own, not to mention tyres & wheels.

I lost the lo-pros on mine & fitted Scaley american-classic silicon tyres, which fit good for the '68 GTO.

Are you fitting forward firing machine-guns & axle mounted tyre-cutters James Bond style, or doing a street or race-track type job ?

Damn good motors, the Aston's, might have to have a crack at one of those myself !

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Tell you what.

I've actualy got my eye on an Airfix Triumph Herald at the moment for the same Monte-Carlo chassis.

STELLA old boy STELLA, the Herald.

Herald with the MSC !, I'd have your Aston off into the barriers any day of the week with one of them !!!

Cheers

Si.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Update.

1) I think that the model is too fragile for me to convert, especially around the "A" pillar. One good roll and it would be goosed.

2) Modern acrylic Humbrol paint is rubbish. I'm sure the stuff that I used as a kid 30 years ago was a toxic nightmare, but at least it covered the bloody plastic! With a bit of luck the second coat will sort out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts