SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a small track at the local street market in our town using a C7042 APB running 6 magnet cars and 3 lane changers. At such events I make an easy track and turn the power down to 75% or 50% so the kids can mash the throttle and the cars stay on. This is a new event coming up and the organisers will not supply power. "Bring your generator and testntagged power cord" they say. I have neither so I'm wondering if it's practical to run my power base off my 12V car battery. The event goes for 4 hours and my car battery says "40Ahr". If not my car battery, I might be able to borrow a deep cycle battery... Advice please.

·
Circuit Owner
5,919 Posts
The mains PSUs supply 15v DC to the APB (which then supplies around 12v to the track). A car battery will actually supply 13.8v if fully charged and fairly new. Not sure of the APB tolerance but you might be OK.

You would definitely need a fuse in line - 4A. Running more than 3 cars you will need to supply both power inlets via suitable plugs. So run one cable with a 4A fuse to each input (from the same battery).

Im not taking responsibility if you cook it though!

·
Greg Gaub
15,140 Posts
I agree, though I'm not a sparky. It should work, and I also agree that fast blow fuses on each of the lines to the base would be good. 4 amps is what the stock PSU tops out at, so maybe 5amps if you go with fast blow fuses. The base itself should trigger an overload condition if it senses too much current, but in case that doesn't trip, fuses will protect things from releasing their magic smoke.

GregK? RikoRocket? Dr.C?

·
Prof I T
11,174 Posts
Hi

It's been done before, I remember Richg chiming in, it was using a c7030 pb..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up using a battery and inverter. I borrowed a 95Amphour deep cycle marine battery from a friend who goes fishing in his boat, and a 600W inverter from another friend who has one of everything. It all worked beautifully and the many kids who came and went had a great time.

Green Race track Toy Urban design Recreation

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts