SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As suggestd by Don a while ago, here is a thread for the various can motors.

We'll start with a sexy looking one: Cox Super Nascar.

Next, a rather rare British rewind, GT Hybrid motor

A Lenz rewind based on the Igarashi

A rewind made by ??? based on the Russkit 22

From the left, Rikochet Mk1 (made by Hitachi), and 2 more probably made in the same facotry: ??? and Russkit 27

To finish, an unusual version of the Mabuchi FT16, can drive and with parallel brush springs.

(All the above 16D size)

Joel

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, then, a few Muras.

Pink one

Red one.

And a chrome one, (A standard Mabuchi in fact, I can't see any signs that it is rewound or balanced)

(All 16D size) C cans to come later

Joel

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
Here's the Mura version of the Hemi:

And two "dedicated" slot car motors - and the industrial motors they are based on! The Russkit 25 and Dynamic GE Silver Hornet:

K&B Hellcat - Can Made in USA!

Wind your own, by French

A couple UFOs - did we ever identify these?

Don

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
The one on the left is the Italian SME motor as fitted to the Tover cars of the 80's, about the same size as a 16d with about the same performance.
[oneofwos]

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (dgersh @ 1 Apr 2012, 09:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A couple UFOs - did we ever identify these?

I have the one on the right with a white endbell, they use the same brush holders as the little round motor called Rikominx and a bigger version fitted to the 1/24th Kadder cars.

Joel

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Some wonderful machinery there.
Just for the record on one of the lesser lights, I believe the Rikochet with the white endbell was the Mk II.
The Mk I had the black endbell and was the better motor.
Both made in Japan as the HIT 1000 and used by other brands.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Think some of the very last Rikochet Mk1 came with white endbells, as far as I can remember the Mk2 had slightly different brush gear and the can locking tabs locked onto the endbell on the top and bottom instead of the sides, and yes it wasn't as good as the Mk1!
[oneofwos]

·
Phil Smith
2,622 Posts
I always thought that one had an open can bearing and the other closed but can never remember which is which, but it's still easy to tell as the MK1 has super strong magnets and the Mk2 has no magnets at all!
MK1 endbells can be black or white that's for sure.

·
Slot King
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a picture of the Mk2 endbell.

Looking at it closely, it becomes obvious that it was made by a different company (a straight copy of the Mk1)
Funnily enough, this applies to all the motors sold by Riko, the Mk2 version is always a copy of the Mk1, my guess is Riko was commissioning the copies to reduce their cost.

Whilst I'm here, a couple more strange ones
First the Pronto Whiplash. (It is marked KDN) I have another one with different brush gear.

Next, the Thunderbolt. Meaty wire on the arm, but the magnets are non existant.
I have got another one in a Doyusha 1/32nd chassis which was sold in the UK under the Riko brand I believe.

Both 16D size

Joel

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
The Pronto Whiplash was an odd looking motor and if you believed the hype of the time, was the best thing since sliced bread. The one I had went well enough but the endbell seemed to be made from a thermoset plastic and cracked the first time I tried to put in a screw.
The Riko Thunderbolt was even stranger with flat back magnets and large dia arm. The brushes were also odd in that they were angled into the com meaning that the rotation was one direction only - if I remember correctly it would rev its nuts off but take forever to stop - not exactly suitable for the club tracks of the time!

Mike T

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The Rikochet changes aren't as straightforward as I thought. Surprise, surprise.
Apologies to Joel. The last Rikochet that he showed would be the real Mk II - one I don't recall seeing before.
I have at least five with white endbells that I took to be standard Mk IIs because they came in Riko Competition series kits where they were specified as "Mk II". The endbell, though, is exactly the same shape as the Mk I's, with vertical brush mouldings, and the can tabs are still on the sides.
Presumably the Mk I began with black endbells, ended with white, and somehow those were still used in kits even when the labelling changed. Both were HIT 1000s, made by Hitachi (but not the big electronics company) and used by Marusan and Russkit as well as Riko.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
QUOTE (dragracer @ 1 Apr 2012, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

M.Goddard MURA fitted toM.G 550 ISO...can anyone tell me what the number 17 means stamped on the can?

It's probably ****'s build number - the 17th chassis like this he had built, or #17 in the chassis he kept to use himself. It's his engraving 'handwriting'. He also sometimes engraved the armature stack and the underside of the centre section behind the guide.

Chassis looks in good nick, it's lost its original floating lead and I don't think the leadwires are original.

Have you run it yet?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Many thanks Rob, This is just the input that I was looking for...as for the missing bits, well it is what it is and I was glad to get it!...the chassis is strong and although I have not had the opportunity to run it, the seller said it does and that was good enough for me (from a finalist in the 1977 National !)
It was one of three chassis from the same period that I bought and all nice quality stuff...I love the history of these handbuilt projectiles and race history

ken

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Had another look through some ECRA mags from the 70's, the MG chassis featured quite often in the tech charts at various open meetings, these are just a few results of people using your chassis:

76 Leeds Open
Saloon
3rd Steve Barden, Betta Mazda S.L body, Camen 26g armature
4th Steve Walker, GT Models Mach 2, Vulcan 26g armature

76 Presto Park Open
Sports
2nd Mike Blake GT Models McLaren M20 [Howmet does a repop of this one], Long John 26g armature
Saloon
3rd Russel Ward, GT Models Mach2, Bubblegum 24g !!!
6th Andy Powels, Corvette?, MG 26g Mura

77 Rotherham Open
Sports
2nd Rog Gration, HB Shadow, Champion 26g
3rd Jeff Norton, Betta Matra, Champion 26g

77 Bolton Open
Saloon
4th Ian Fitzpatrick, Mach2 [probably a Betta!],Pooch 26g
Sports
3rd Rog Gration, HB Shadow, Thorp 26g

The chassis shows up in some later meeting in early 78 then no more.
26 Gauge arms seemed to be the way to go and one brave soul even ran a 24gauge! also some of the bodies used are either still available through Betta or have been redone by our Mr Howmet so you should be able to put a faithful period car together.
[oneofwos]

·
Registered
179 Posts
WOW..Thanks for that John, as this chassis came from Yorkshire then it makes your info all the more fascinating...
I will be choosing one of the bodies that you list and complete the car as it should be...there is a seperate thread for the worksof M.Goddard, perhaps these posts should be moved there,?..in order to provide as much research as possible into these racers and their builder?...ken

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yoh,

You list a few memorable names, amongst perhaps the lesser known,

Jeff Norton was a formidable opponent in the 1980's, if I recall he was/is a professional artist, his concourse paint jobs were very very good.

Not seen him for some years now, last time at the old Pontefract Club.

vbr Chris A.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pontefract ?...we are now getting very close to the source of this chassis...looks like a concours finish might be the way to go with this one!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts