SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I've been trying to find an answer but I can't. (probably not looking hard enough)

F1 or Saloon.
Does it really make a difference?
I'm only putting this in standard scaly cars and 1 AutoArt 4wd Lamborghini.
I'm not to fussed about extra connectivity or brake lights (not yet anyway)

I thought this day in age smaller is better (leave it
)

Ok it out there now lets watch my slating

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
Unless I want to wire up brake lights, I just use the F1 chip and wire any lights to the braids. Working brake lights are cool, but most of the time you have to *fix* the chip itself, since Scaley/Hornby removed necessary resistors from the board that make the light pads work (since they never used them).
Then again, many cars have brackets for the saloon chip, which makes installation a LOT easier. In those cases, I'll use a saloon chip, since it's the same price. If I happen to score a chip with the resistors still in place, I save it for a car with lights and hook them up to the chip light pads.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Until recently I always used f1 chips as they were smaller and the led was easier to fit, however I now stick to saloon as I like the option of lights, I only use f1 where I cannot fit a saloon chip.

With your autoart you may need to fit an f1 or do some modifications to the interior of the car to get a chip to it.

I would suggest having a few of each in stock and using a saloon chip just in case you want to get the lights working in the future but have an F1 available in case you can't get the saloon to fit. Of course if you find someone selling either cheap go with what you can get.

Just to add to the equation, for a while I also proffered to use the slot.it chip as it was very flat and fitted in places the scaley ones didn't, it also copes with higher rpm motors. Of course these are now a reduculous price at twice that of a scaley chip and I believe there is also an issue with them running on the new APB.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Regards

Colin

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
There is no issue with slot.it in car chips on the APB. You're confusing that with the Slot.it SCP01d controller. The original controller cartridge only worked on old bases, and a new one needed developing to work on the new base. Controller, not in-car chip.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Mr F.
In that case keeto and I have a problem as our slot.it chips are all playing up, maybe it's Ssdc?

Sorry to hijack the thread, does anyone know?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, by what I can guess the only differences between the 2 are design, brake light option, and possible car programming I think I read somewhere.

QUOTE (Wraith @ 28 Nov 2011, 03:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With your autoart you may need to fit an f1 or do some modifications to the interior of the car to get a chip to it.
I had a peek on the chipping database and the f1 chip should fit down the side if he motor.

·
Greg Gaub
14,656 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 28 Nov 2011, 01:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In that case keeto and I have a problem as our slot.it chips are all playing up, maybe it's Ssdc?
Sorry to hijack the thread, does anyone know?

Oh really? I believe you, but it's the first I've heard of it. It might be a good idea to start a new thread about that, if you haven't already (still catching up this morning ;-).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts