SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a simple question, but can you pick the car up and go the other direction using the digital systems out there/coming out now?

-Maltese

·
Registered
80 Posts
...with SCX, it does not work. I´m not sure wether there is something I don´t know yet because the starting grid graphics on the track where the base unit is connected to is drawn for the 'wrong' direction. So, either this is a bug or I´m too dump to get cars going into the other direction.

·
Julius Wilkko
935 Posts
Hi!

I tried the car the other way in my system but there was no reaction. I think that commercial systems work the same way. If communication is DCC type then you have "positive" data signal at "+" rail , and inversion of this signal at the "-" rail. Usually software follows the transitions and the synchronization information coming from "+" rail and just verifies received data by reading "-" rail as well. If you turn the car facing opposite direction, the car does not find data frames and start pulses where they are supposed to be. In this case a smart car-decoder tries constantly re-synchronize with the communication but does not find anything to read - and decides to do nothing i.o. stand still. It is possible to add a feature to car decoder software that it automatically detects which way round car is. This is possible if you have DCC type communication.

Julius

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi lordjw,
with DCC, decoder input polarity does not play a role. At current I seriously doubt, that available digital systems from Carrera and SCX have sigificant similarities to DCC.
Best
Joerg

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
On the scalextric system, the cars will run in whichever direction you point them. According to some info on the 'how does digital lap counting work', the lap counter is specifically designed to be able to tell which direction the car is going.

The LC's come in 2 parts of track - a sensor (which must be before the LC) and the LC itself. These obviously have to be arranged the right way round, and there is no sensor for the other side; I don't know if there is a motorised flipper on both ends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts