SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all any suggestions for a suitable McLaren CANAM car worth considering (RTR plastic chassis) that would offer resonable performance with suitable after market parts?

Ray

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,844 Posts
Hi ray

It might depend on what you qualify as reasonable performance... what cars are you running up against as a comparison.

Either the Carrera or the Revell Monogram can be made to run better with some tuning. MJKs on the back of the Carrera helped a lot. I think maybe the Revell would need a bit more work as I find the chassis on Revell cars is a bit ordinary OTB.

The Vanquish cars go alright with some modification. Some people get hung up on them being out of scale. Pendle had some on special for a while.

I put NC-2 motors in mine and a solid axle in mine and they go a treat.

If you want to go away from RTR plastic - George Turner makes some nice Can Am cars in resin with a chassis included.

cheers
David

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Are you wanting something a little different to the slotit?? You really cant do many mods in your club racing? Apart from the tyre tratment stuff?? The Revell M6 I think would be a good choice if you were allowed to mod it. I think it would end up better than the Chaparell from slotit but you would have to mod it a lot.

Why not try 1/25th CanAm racing on a Friday night?

cheers
rick1776

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
We're going to have a Vanquish CanAm championship at our club soon and we've tried them out minus magnets (on plexytrack) - they are great fun! The large scale makes them very predictable and stable, who knows if the diff helps too but the noise is nice. The motors are NC2 geometry but have power closer to an NC5. You could uprate the motor but I think you'd have too much power then. If you put urethane tyres on the back then I guess they'd be seriously quick.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I can see that some people did not read the actual question.
McLaren , plastic chassis RTR!
I think there are only 4 made. Revell M6 readily available easy to get to run well, several in the NZ Can Am Proxy, Lenny Brokes ( Alan) has one going well.Carrera M20 readily available Should be able to get these to go well.
Vanquish very over scale, most clubs do not allow them to race in 1/32 scale. HSRR Great looking car, harder to find now, fragile front end.

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Hi thanks for all of the posts and suggestions.

I am just looking for a CANAM McLaren (the car I grew up reading about in Road and Track mag) to have fun with not race at this stage, we do not run a CANAM classbut I am working on that one.

Wouldlike to keep it to RTR plastic chassis as that is what our club prabominantly races but will look at the metl chassis as well.

Would like the car to be comparable to most of the cars we run NINCO, Slot.it, ScaleAuto, SlotingPlus, NSR etc.

Thanks again.

Ray

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Well there is the Slotit Chaparral... but you're looking for a decent McLaren... I gutted an HSRR to come up with this

I've had reasonable success with the Revellogram McLaren. I replaced the power train with a Slotit orange endbell motor and gears, lowered the body and used BWA wheels fore and aft. I also lowered the body as much as I though I could get away with and also replaced the guide with a slotit universal. The car runs quite nicely but is a bit twitchy (owing the the short wheelbase I think)!

I also have George Turner's M1A which isn't RTR but goes together easily. Of the two I think the Turner handles a bit better.

Greenman62

·
Vendor
2,982 Posts
Greg, your Led Zeppelin car is drop dead gorgeous. Having seen some other creations of yours, that's no surprise

Surely a decoration we'll do on our M8D (yes, it's confirmed, we're making one and moulds are under way), I've seen Led Zep live in Knebworth park in 1979 and they are my favourite band ever.

·
Registered
890 Posts
HSRR McLaren are great cars in both looks and performance.

The steering front wheels are rather fragile, but you can disable the steering components quite easily, and then you can glue everything in place and have a regular slot car.

Comes with metal wheels right from the factory.

Somebody on SCI has 3 of them for sale right now.

Later

Gordo Bond 007

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
QUOTE HSRR McLaren are great cars in both looks and performance.

True enough... though to be honest the work to make them "runners" is on a par with modding a Revellogram M6. The axle needs to be moved up in the pod and the front axle can be fixed in place with CA glue. The guide is a nightmare and should be replaced with a Slotit universal guide (if memory serves). I wanted to retain as much of the interior as possible so I had to either build one of my own or wait until someone came up with a chassis that would allow it. Fortunately the Beardog CAN AM chassis was release which was perfect. The HSRR driver while a game attempt is one of those rubberized figures. I replaced it with a modified (replaced the driver's head with a second generation Fly version) LeMans Miniatures figure

Greenman62

·
Ray
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (lenny broke @ 5 Oct 2012, 16:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Ray
Your prayers may have been answered
see linky. scroll down till you reach the SlotIt part. Slotlandia 2012 link
You should be able to race it in Classic Sports Class I reckon

QUOTE (Slot.it @ 5 Oct 2012, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg, your Led Zeppelin car is drop dead gorgeous. Having seen some other creations of yours, that's no surprise

Surely a decoration we'll do on our M8D (yes, it's confirmed, we're making one and moulds are under way), I've seen Led Zep live in Knebworth park in 1979 and they are my favourite band ever.

Woo Hooo way to go Slot.it.

Thank you can't wait

Ray

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
QUOTE (Slot.it @ 5 Oct 2012, 09:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Greg, your Led Zeppelin car is drop dead gorgeous. Having seen some other creations of yours, that's no surprise

I agree on all accounts, Greg is very good and I love Led Zeppelin too. Saw them in Seattle in '77 in the Kingdome and that is the llivery I want! Thanks again, Mauricio!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts