Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Ive just been messing around with my track and copper taped every joint to make sure I have a consistent power supply around the whole track. Anyway I had a few laps with both cars and both controllers trying every lane changer. One of the cars was very juddery and hesitant but now wont work at all. I cant seem to reset the car/controller, its just dead? Ive tried the chip in another dpr and still nothing so am I right to presume the controller is faulty? Any things I should try? Can I have both cars running from the other working controller to test the car?
Im still not 100% on how to assign the car to a controller so I might be doing something wrong.

I have done many searches trying to find a resolution.

Thanks
Christian

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
yes you can run 2 cars off one controller as long as they both have the same id. Doing this will tell you if the controller is at fault.

Simple way to reset them all to id 1 is to unplug them and then refit, they are factory set to id 1 as a default setting.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Cristian,
From your post about your track, I see you have a 4 car PB (4PB). This will allow you to ID your cars from 1 - 4 only. To ID a car: remove all cars from the track bar the one you want to ID, plug a controller into a port, then press and hold the button above the controller port until it flashes (~2s). Release the button and whatever car is on the track will have the ID of the controller port. Repeat this for every car that you want to use but change the controller port for each one. If you want 2 or more cars to have the same ID then just leave them on the track when you press & hold the button.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 27 Jan 2012, 22:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Cristian,
From your post about your track, I see you have a 4 car PB (4PB). This will allow you to ID your cars from 1 - 4 only. To ID a car: remove all cars from the track bar the one you want to ID, plug a controller into a port, then press and hold the button above the controller port until it flashes (~2s). Release the button and whatever car is on the track will have the ID of the controller port. Repeat this for every car that you want to use but change the controller port for each one. If you want 2 or more cars to have the same ID then just leave them on the track when you press & hold the button.

Thanks greg
There must be a fault with the controller as the light flashes but nothing happens after following your instructions!!

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Check that your braids are making the contact with the track. Sometimes these can slip off and the braid is no longer touching the guide plate properly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 27 Jan 2012, 23:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check that your braids are making the contact with the track. Sometimes these can slip off and the braid is no longer touching the guide plate properly.

I did that first, absolutely nothing - like I said in a previous post, Ive even swapped chips into a different car to test the car (didnt know you could have more than one car on the same controller)

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
OK then ...... can you get an ID by using a different controller??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 27 Jan 2012, 23:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK then ...... can you get an ID by using a different controller??

Only have the two plus my wife bollocked me for being in the loft this late, Ill try tomorrow ha ha ha

·
Greg Gaub
14,640 Posts
On my 4 car base, you don't need a controller in to program the car, though you will need it to test if the car was programmed.
I would try two cars on the track, with controllers in jacks 1 and 2. Press and hold the #1 button until the light flashes, then pull the trigger for that controller. Anything? If not, press and hold button #2 until the light flashes, then pull the trigger for controller 2. Anything?
Depending on when either car responds to either controller, you should be able to narrow down if the controller is at fault (cars both work fine on one but not the other), or with the car (one or neither car works with either controller).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried both controllers with the working cars and it turns out to be the chip in the car. It lit up and made a fssst noise so presume its a new digital chip for me!!

I have no idea why it would suddenly do this, it was working perfectly although my track has been very intermittent itself but then fssst!!

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
There are, of course, many reasons so here are a few:

a) Back wheels stuck/sticking,
Knobbed motor,
c) braids shorting out across the guide,
d) loose wiring,
e) something shorting across the PCB.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This scalextric lark is a laugh a minute! I've not even got my track so it has good continuous power and I've had a pcb fssst.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Well ........ you have to make a few cock-ups to gain experience .......... so I guess that means that we are just a bit more experienced than you are

It's all good stuff and when you finally get it to work the way that you are happy with is when the fun begins

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (bigbird @ 28 Jan 2012, 09:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simple way to reset them all to id 1 is to unplug them and then refit, they are factory set to id 1 as a default setting.

Nope. The chips come ID'd fro the manufacturer as #1. Once you change the ID, it remains on the new ID even if you move the chip to a new car (which of course requires it to be unplugged)

TT

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (GregK @ 30 Jan 2012, 20:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well ........ you have to make a few cock-ups to gain experience .......... so I guess that means that we are just a bit more experienced than you are

It's all good stuff and when you finally get it to work the way that you are happy with is when the fun begins

Yeah I suppose you're right. My wife can't believe how patient I've been already as I'm not well known for having a great deal!! Good for the self control though!!

I expect once I've sorted the consistent power out the other parts of the build with fall in place quite quickly as I've got the bulk of things ready to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Think marathon Chris, its a steep learning curve for the both us!(and many others on this forum!). If you need anything from me to further test your problems then you know where i am pal!

Cheers, Martin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (TheNail @ 31 Jan 2012, 01:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Think marathon Chris, its a steep learning curve for the both us!(and many others on this forum!). If you need anything from me to further test your problems then you know where i am pal!

Cheers, Martin.

You sound so nice on here.....last night I thought I was you guinea pig ha ha ha???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts