SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Hi Guys,
Im dissapointed in the car decoder. Seems car decoders run perfect in some situations, and stutter and carry on in other situations.
Ive had reports from Germany this morning of one car going full speed when placed on rails and stuttering.

In short I do not know yet what the issue is, a design fault or manufacturing fault. Im getting together with John soon for analysis but the type of motor seems to be the common theme so far. Faulty components or EMF issues are the likely culprits.

Around 7 other Scorpius users so far have reported NO issues, which just confuses the situation more.

If we need to re-manufacture we will. Ill keep you guys posted. Sometimes the answers are simple, so until I know more....

Rick

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok already some news.

a)The car running full speed may have been caused by incorrect installation. Please ensure any magnets, front axles or motor shafts do not touch the decoder. All decoders were bench tested for throttle control, all were 100%. The customer reported the next decoder to be installed is working 100%.

b)Out of 2 emails from by users, pictures revealed NO cap or ferrite used. Guys this is in the manuals and mentioned quite a few times on the net. Ive had people read the article and still ask me is it necessary to install cap and ferrite on motor. Answer is YES YES YES ,its MANDATORY guys believe me.

c)The car stuttering seems to be a quality control issue from the factory, in which case we will be asking the manufacturers to remanufacture at their expense.

d) I found a car decoder working fine but not change lanes. On closer inspection the phototransistor showed polarity wrong. Quick resolder and all ok. If you find this return for rectification if you are not up to the task. By the way the heatshrink is a new kind, you can pull it back, solder, then slide it back.

Please keep all posts in the "Car Decoder Issues...post questions and answers here" thread.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,
Ok now the report from Germany is now explained!
An old Scorpius (Parma type) controller was the culprit. Batteries removed, case solved.
And the case in Oz explained (installation issue).
I can rest a little easier tonight

Phew!

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts