SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Beginner ish level racer here, I have just set up a new permanent digital track in the spare room. Not a huge track but enough to keep me amused. Prior to this I had to store my two sets and setup every time.

Anyway, its been a while since Ive setup and since then my lovely wife bought me a nice Lambo Gallardo (my first DPR car) to celebrate the permanent track. I immediately bought a DPR plug and applied it!

I have some standard digital cars and chipped cars which all run anti clockwise on my new track... all good.
However when I run the new lambo with the plug it runs clockwise and against the lane changes.... not so good.

Am I being a total div? Have I just done something wrong inserting the Plug? Surely not

I also have a couple of chipped cars which behave the same way, but all I need to do is switch the wires I guess.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Sounds like you're in analog setting on the powerbase or there's a problem with the chip or the car wiring. Put the lane changer flipper manually across to change-lane position and push the car over the lane changer sensor - it should flick back to straight on.
Also, do you have a DPR chip from another car to test it. What powerbase do you have - C7042?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the moment its just a standard 4car powerbase attached to the track. I have a boxed C7042 that I havent fitted it yet as I still need to sit and suss it out.

All my chipped cars work the same way on the track, they will go anti clockwise and not clockwise. (Apart from the couple mentioned above).

If you guys are saying that the chipped cars should go in both directions ok then I wonder if it is either a dodgy connection or a problem with the 4car pb I have.

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Your digital cars should run in whichever direction you put them in either clockwise or anti-clockwise; the obvious thing is to place any lane-changers the correct way round for your chosen direction, usually this is clockwise with older PBs. the C7042 can be set to record either way but it needs setting each time you want to reverse the direction.

When you mention your cars appear to run in different directions, do you mean that they run facing forwards or do some of them run facing backwards??

I would try your cars with the C7042. Just plug a controller in and use the PSU from the 4PB to fire it up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Greg,

all cars run facing forwards, if you place them in a clockwise direction then they dont run. Actually on certain pieces of track if you place them clockwise they take off until they get to the next piece of track.

Anyway... think I will hook up the C7042, I was putting it off until I decided on the final layout but think I am there now, just waiting for some quarter length track pieces and some bridge supports. Will post a photo soon.

Sandy

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I would just use the C7042 on it's own, you are only going to use it to try and diagnose the cause of the problem.

If the cars can run in either direction then your 4PB is nobbed.

If the cars behave as before then they have in all probabilty been wired incorrectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasnt the chipped cars I was too concerned about, I know I could probably rewire them.... it was more the DPR car.

Yeah... I will apply the APB tonight and check results.

thank to all for comments!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Something seems funny here....

If you connect the 4 car PB so that it is near you on the "front straight"... the normal direction of travel is from Right to Left, correct?
So if the cars are running from left to right (anti-clockwise or counter-clockwise over here) the body of the PB must be on the far side of the track if it is on the front straight.
If this is not the situation there may be another problem.

Does that make sense? A picture of your layout might help as well in case we spot another issue in the layout.

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,369 Posts
Gordon, the orientation of the base only mattered for lap counting, and even then it only matters for the C7030 and early SSD Lap Counters. The 4 car base, with no lap counting, doesn't matter, and the C7042 can count laps in either direction, so also doesn't matter. Because the SSD chip serves as a bridge rectifier, chipped cars will only ever go in one direction... forward. The only way it shouldn't is if you wired the motor wrong while chipping a car, and for a DPR car, that's impossible without a major factory error or someone having modified the car.

His 4 car base was clearly not working properly, as it should have allowed him to put a car on facing either direction and have it run completely around the track. It wouldn't change lanes when going opposite the lane changing direction, but the car would still go around just fine. When you get your track started, you'll find that this is true.

I was worried that there was something amiss with the track, such as a crossed power tap or something, but if it works correctly with the APB installed, I agree that his 4 car base, as Greg put it, is nobbed.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Gotcha... confusing my C7030 with the 4 car PB again.
Many thanks for clarifying... just thought I might have spotted an inconsistency in the logic.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts