SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you mix cellulose spray with enamal.I have sprayed a car with enamal and want to laquer it but cannot find a tin of enamal laquer of the same brand anywhere in the town where i live.Also will not be using enamal again as it go's on to thick compared with cellulose.Any advise would be welcome

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,
In modeling we very often mix enamel paints with acrylic ones.
First we aply the enamel paint and when dry apply the selected decals. Then we finisf the coating with gloss or mat clear coating. With this method we protect decals and underneath paint.
Regards

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Hi,

What is the best laquer to use?> I have heard or read of Johnson's Clear but can't locate it. Does anyone know either where (in the UK) this can be found, or what alternative to use?

Many thanks

Jamie

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Johnson's is not a lacquer is a water based product.
As far as acrylic goes there two types of acrylic mentioned in this forum for slot cars. One is model acrylic it can be applied over enamel it takes some days to dry out properly and provided a very high shine. The other type is automotive touch up acrylic either from a spray can or applied using an air brush. Ths one does not go well over any other paint, but is very hard and great for slot cars.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i allways use a celulose base and top coat. the celulose actually etches into the plastic or resin and you dont have to use too many coats, keeping the details crisp and clear. if you want too add another colour it doesn,t matter what type of paint you use, enamel or acryllic, neither will harm the top coat. if you do mix the paints you can only clearcoat with a plastic water based acrillic. if its cellulose all the way through, then a celulose, enamel, or acryllic topcoat can be used. someone could step in here and recomend a clearcoat thats compatable with decals. john

·
Rich Dumas
3,664 Posts
Clear (formerly called Future in the US, now called Pledge with Future Shine) is not durable enough to protect decals. Clear is water based, if you brush it on inkjet decals they may smudge. Since a lot of solvent based clear coats can attack decals you can protect them with a couple of coats of Clear, then overcoat with a more robust finish, I use an automotive clear coat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.