SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
QUOTE Will Scalextric and SCX cars run on a Carrera track okay?

Yes

I'm running Carrera track at home myself, the only issue, is that the braids on some cars may need a gentle tweak to get them to rest properly on the Carrera track's rails.

-Rob

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cheers for that Rob. Good to know.

So my want list for F1 include:-

Carrera - Ferrari, Williams, Mclaren, Sauber

Scalextric - Renault, Toyota, Jordan (98 version is latest available isn't it?)

SCX - Jaguar, Minardi

No BAR Honda - I might attempt dressing a toyota with bespoke waterslide decals, any ideas?

Also, Whats the difference between the Renault F1's Sport Tuned and standard other than £3 difference?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Their previous models of Formula 1 cars were not well thought of by people who ran Ninco, Scalextric and SCX cars and much preferred them. To be fair, I am not sure that many (UK or USA) people had proper hands-on experience of the Carrera F1s and it could be that the reluctance to buy them was partly based on slim availability - at least in UK, coupled with the notorious bias displayed by some voluble board posters. I think the criticisms of their F1s were similar to those levelled at many of their other cars - too low a numeric gear ratio and low magnetism. In practice, these characteristics could be an advantage over the others on a big enough track, where the extra top speed could actually be achieved!
I faintly recollect someone suggesting that the gears were a little fragile too, though I cannot be sure of this.

This is good question, because I don't know whether Carrera has yet reissued these cars with the new gearing as per the F1 Ferrari, nor am I sure whether they intend to do so.
Has anyone else more useful and up to date information to add?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the older Carrera Sauber and McLaren F1s. They do not run well at all.

The gearing is wrong and these are heavy cars but the biggest gripe I have about them is the position of the guide. Way too far behind the front axle.

The new Ferrari F1s are much better, even if they need some work to run on Classic track.

I heard that Carrera will reissue a Williams F1 with their new chassis, like the Ferraris. Nothing about the Sauber and McLarens.

·
Registered
263 Posts
QUOTE (jrc2005 @ 12 Jan 2004, 05:47 PM)Also, Whats the difference between the Renault F1's Sport Tuned and standard other than £3 difference?
Not a lot really, the box, which is obvious abd a little harder to show your cars off. Ground axles, and brass bushes (metal) bushes. You may get a slight performance advantage with the 'sport' version. These boxed edition cars are always numbered (limited) and if you just happen to stumble acroos the right particular model and choose not to race it it will double in value fairly quickly before stabiliising for a few years.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Tropi and Turismo bang on . F1 is dear to my heart and I bought the lot including the earlier Carrera models, well thought it would remind me of my beer drinking days in the Sanders Bier keller in Germany and Greasy Willys take away. They did kinda as they drive like a drunken pillock that`s had too many Scnapps and Bratwurst and Pommes!! It`s the position of that guide that I cant sort on new and old types. The Ferrari looks great,wish I could get it to go! Trouble is they sit in no mans land as there are better cars to run non magnet and with magnet fitted so now they just sit on the Phoenix club pit lane feature looking good but they aint never gonna exit the pits!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Scalextric's or SCX's Williams and McLaren look much better than Carrera's.

Regarding the Jordan, the last one is indeed the 1998 livery done on a 1997 body. Ninco did the 1997 version as well.

For Sauber you have the ones done by Carrera, but Ninco did have some too. These are older models of course, driven by Alesi and Herbert.

Ninco have also the last Arrows.

I saw on the net a very nice BAR done from a Scalextric Williams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks for all the replies!

Interesting to hear the views on Carrera. I think I'm after collecting one of each of the teams more as presentation than racing. Interesting that the pinnacle of real motorsport is given a raw deal in slot car racing.

Is anyone releasing 2003 models this year? Also on a side note, has anyone tried painting or blocking out the dashed lines on Carrera track ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts