SlotForum banner

Car Wars!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rick1776 
#1 ·
I've always maintained that the diecast collectors were extremely p**d off in the 60s about the ascendency of slot car racing, and how little attention was paid to their own activity (really just getting under way in fact). And it seems that now that diecasts are probably much more popular, they take a very keen pleasure in downgrading slot racing, or just ignoring it, which is far worse.

I just happened to run across this report on the 1966 Paris Model Show (Salon d'Automobiles Miniature), hosted by the Simca showroom on the Champs Elysées in Paris. Not sure what month, perhaps in the autumn, since the report is in the January 1967 issue of Model Cars. And it's by Cecil Gibson, one of the first authorities on diecast cars, author of the first standard reference on Dinky cars I believe... Anyway, here's what he thought about the whole thing at a time when slot racing was probably at its height. He was a real pioneer in the .... Car Wars!

Don

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Ah, of course you're right Kev, I had kind of forgotten the lost decade of the 70s, when all the toy manufacturers were in trouble. I was really thinking more of the 80s or so, when diecasts were becoming a big object of collection, with many magazines, stores, etc. and slots were like nowheresvillle, man.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.