SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
421 Posts
I especially want to thank mk2 for admitting the botched 'work in progress'...
this ofcourse together with the helpful tips and hints by other forum members gives me some hope for my own future 'efforts'..

oh, I did mention that I managed to botch a couple of 'projects' myself did I not?
well now I have...

Not having the courage to go straight to my own cut up 'ex-models' I think that I might give it a new try. Lets see... I am sure I saw one of the TT's in the local shop...

//peter

· Premium Member
2,192 Posts
that's a very sweet looking chassis setup... nice job. at the risk of throwing water on a burning fire though, I am tempted to point out that reducing the chassis pan weight actually RAISES the center of gravity. The main benefit in drivability may be in the increased rigidity, not so much the weight change. You may want to add a little weight (or magnets, depending on the type of racing you are doing) and see what happens. just a thought...

cheers,
John

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi!

Very thin and rigid chassis plate enables me to place lead weights very close to track surface. That way I am able to lower the center of gravity. John, you are right that if no weights are used the COG is actually raised. Good point! Good luck for your project, JcRacer43.

Cheers!

Julius

· Registered
203 Posts
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who tried this as a kit-conversion!

I bought the kit in 2011 and finally got around to converting it in March of 2012. I didn't make a carbon fibre floor, or use ball-bearings (awesome idea!) but rather used the floor provided, stock Carrera bearings and I mounted a stock E200 Carrera motor inline using mounts cut from a spare chassis. All my kit-bashing created an excellent car, super quick and fun for my kids to run.

I added LED head and tailights. I originally replaced the for-looks Revell wheels with a spare set of rims from a Carrera 911 (in the pics); These were recently updated with a set of NSR wheels and BBS inserts.

My fit and finish of the floor ultimately wasn't the cleanest as I used bits of cannibalized chassis parts glued to the Revell floor, but the first time is always rough. I think if I did this again I'd build my own chassis.

· Administrator
10,838 Posts
8 years later.... I wonder if the car has survived? Super robust chassis with a not so strong body...

· Premium Member
912 Posts
Well, there is one upside to that.

It's far easier to get hold of carbon fibre today.
So the necromancy had a function in this case.

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
My Carbon Audi is still alive.

Since the Audi build I have made some 1:24 glassfibre/carbon/kevlar bodies.

· Registered
203 Posts
The shells of these EasyKit cars are really quite strong.

My kit-car TT has performed exactly as any of my Scaley, Slot-it, Monogram or Carrera shells when it comes to throwing itself into the landscaping, against the armco or PVC walls, into the barriers, flipping onto the roof or even leaving the table and hitting the concrete floor. In fact, I've had two Carrera Audi A4 DTM shells crack from seeming minor incidents involving car-to-car-contact -- the Audi never seems to blemish; nor does the pad printed livery.

If I was in charge of new products at Revell, I'd take all these kits and reissue them as slot kits. They're easily the equal of any of the usual mass-marketed suspects, but at an unmatatchable pricepoint.

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
1:32 cars have such a low mass that I don´t think that those are able to gain a such a momentum that would break carbon chassis in impact.

1:24 carbon bodies may be at risk if not reinforced with glassfibre or kevlar.

Cheers!

Julius

· Nobby Berkshire
1,987 Posts
I'm totally confused. If the chassis is lighter than a plastic equivalent, this begs two questions:

1. If this is a kit car then no prior plastic slotcar chassis was functional. So where are the comparative weights and laptimes?

2. If the carbon fibre chassis is lighter then how can this create 'lower' centre of gravity? Surely it will create a higher centre of gravity?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.