SlotForum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to buy a basic starter set to start build a bigger track. Which is brand is better and why?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ultimately the decision is yours - both track systems will give you a whole lot of fun.

I chose Carrera Digital because of the stainless steel rails plus I wanted to run 1:24 scale cars which made it very easy for me.

I have also installed Carrera Digital chips in a lot of different brand cars for example Scaly, Fly, SCX - you can see them at

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...30&start=30

The conversion is not that difficult.

Cheers

·
Greg Gaub
14,646 Posts
Carrera has a great system. It's robust, feature filled, and flexible. The only thing is that their track is huge. Enormous, really. If you have limited space, it might be too large, especially if you want a complicated layout. Scalextric has narrower track and smaller turn sizes and so can fit much more in a smaller space, but it also won't run larger scale cars, which a lot of people like.
Between the two, it's hard not to be happy with either one.
Where are you located? Maybe some people nearby can invite you over for a play on their track?
Also, if your local hobby store carries more of a particular brand, that might be an important part of your decision.
Similarly, if there is a group of racers in the area using one brand, that might be the way to go, especially since digital systems are not inter-compatible. If you have Carrera, but others nearby use Scalextric, you wouldn't be able to run your cars on their track, or vice versa.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently bought Carrera Digital 132.

I have to say that I love it. Been trouble free so far. As Mr. Flippant said, the track is large for sure. Its really 1/24 scale track and you can of course run that scale which is nice.

I do know that Scalextric is quite popular and I am sure you could do no wrong going in that direction either though i have never used it.

I use to own SCX Digital which is nice but is not as up to date feature wise now as compared to Scalextric or Carrera.

Good luck with whatever system you end up getting.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Well...this question comes up over and over again (so you may want to use the search function of this Forum for more discussion)...and there are entrenched camps who are deeply devoted to either track system.

I'm going to skip all the usual stuff about warpage, rust, relative magnetic attraction of stainless versus carbon steel etc. I'm even going to suggest that you not worry so much about size...the truth is that the Carrera isn't actually that much larger. It could be...but once you actually build a track layout in practical dimensions, they end up quite similar. Noone really makes a track layout with all hairpin turns...at least i haven't seen that one yet. Neither is the width issue that excessive.

That being said, I think it's fair to say that the overall quality of Carrera is superior. It will last virtually forever without incident. Scalextric will give you issues with "bumps" where the track fits together fresh out of the box. There are connection issues and also guide breakages (from those afforementioned bumps). There are also issues with the power rails squeezing together and having to be spread out again. I'm not saying Carrera is perfect, just less fraught with frustrating issues that I would attribute to design and material quality. (my opinion)

Bear in mind there is a significant different in cost though...and this may very well offset any consideration of quality. I would take a minute and decide how committed you are to the hobby, and what you can afford at present. And of course digital cars can't be used across platforms...so if you have friends who race digitally, and they favor a certain brand...that is a strong consideration IMO. It is also true that you can make more complex turns with Scalextric if the flow of a track is a strong factor for you.

That being said...they're both a lot of fun...and no decision is irreversible. Go for it....and stop back to let us know how things are going!

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't been able to find posts on running Digital Carrera cars on Scalextric track or visa versa. Are they at all compatible or able to be modified to be made compatible?

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. When I started I also thought you can do that....run any digital chip on any digital system. Wishful thinking that was.

If you going to run a Scalextric track you need to chip all your cars (doesn't matter what brand) with a Scalextric digital chip.

If you going to run a Carrera track you need to chip all your cars with a Carrera digital chip....etc....etc.

Digital systems are unfortunately not compatible with each other - You can't run a Carrera chip on a Scalextric digital system and vice versa and that might explain the lack of info...

Check out this LINK it helped me a lot in the beginning.

HTH.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Keeto!

Sometimes I feel a bit daft, but to make sure I understand what I was reading in the link you provided... (being very new and not actually owning anything yet although I'm leaning towards going with SSD) you can purchase any brand Analog car, but place a SSD chip in it or one maybe a slot.it chip in and run it on the SSD track? I'm trying to learn as much as possible before picking a brand. I do really like the options with digital over analog!

The reason I'm asking is my 4yr old is a HUGE Disney Cars fan and loves Lightning McQueen. I see that Carrera makes a Cars Evolution race set. I was thinking how neat it would be for him if I was able to get the Lightning car and be able to modify it to run on the SSD track. Any thoughts on if that is posible?

thank again! : )

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Hi,

Both keeto and myself run SSD, I also run an SSD club.

We both however love carrera cars, in fact in the past 12 months I would save I've brought about 75% of my cars are carrera. The only slight issue we have running carrera cars on SSD is trimming the guides, it's a bt of a black art.

I've nt raced carrera but love SSD and all the mods that are out there for it but the carrera cars are stunning,quiet,great handling and pretty robust.

I'm not sure about in the states but in he uk carrera digital chips are about twice the cost of he Scalextric ones.

Please keep us up to date with your choice.

Good luck

Colin

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Wraith @ 13 Oct 2011, 21:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not sure about in the states but in he uk carrera digital chips are about twice the cost of he Scalextric ones.

Please keep us up to date with your choice.

Good luck

Colin

The Carrera chips are around $25 in the U.S. I think Scalextric chips are around $20. Carrera 132 cars are around $35 for analog and $45-50 for digital. I believe most Scalextric analog cars cost $45-50, but I have seen some for $35. Does Scalextric sell digital cars individually or only in track sets?

·
Registered
984 Posts
From what I recall when I was starting Carrera ia not a dammage tolerant if you have to put out your track on the floor to race (Rug Racer) in this forums terms. Scalextric is nearly bomb proof, Carrerra is more brittle, as I understnd it no 4 year old treading on it proof! If you intend a permanent track off the floor and this would not be an issue. With the rise of "Magc Juice" (INOX MX3), now even available int he UK, Scalextric is not struggeling with connectivity, rarely now do I have a problem even though I have to put the track up every time I use it. It does require some maintainace but its not hard and not difficult. On track size their are lots of track plans about, look at Carrerra and Scalextric layouts about your size and see. If you only have a small area (8ft by 4 ft ) then track size is a significant issue. Twice that size and its much less of an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
QUOTE (Sabata @ 14 Oct 2011, 05:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Carrera chips are around $25 in the U.S. I think Scalextric chips are around $20. Carrera 132 cars are around $35 for analog and $45-50 for digital. I believe most Scalextric analog cars cost $45-50, but I have seen some for $35. Does Scalextric sell digital cars individually or only in track sets?
I'm jealous at the cost of the carrera cars in the states, they are great value in the Uk but over there they are even better, to the extent that some of the olde cars are cheaper to buy and have a friend ship over for me plus there are so many that are only released there ( mainly muscle cars )

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ther is one potential issue with Scalextric that may or maynot apply to Carrera, I sure sombody will say. Scaley chips only work for 18 500 rpm motors reliably out of the box (stock motors). More power available from Slot.It chps but they are very big and not even all Slot.It chips will take their chips. You can get scaley chips upgrated for a price (see thead on this forum). There is apparently an issue with APBs in Scalextric if you want to run very high power motors you have to upgrade the APB. It is not a problem for 6 scalextric type motors, not sure when the effect becomes noticable as I do not run big motor cars.

Scalextric APBs MUST have the upgrade to v 1.06 to be useable.

·
Digital &quot;Tea Boy&quot;
777 Posts
QUOTE (Tim-77 @ 14 Oct 2011, 00:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Keeto!

Sometimes I feel a bit daft, but to make sure I understand what I was reading in the link you provided... (being very new and not actually owning anything yet although I'm leaning towards going with SSD) you can purchase any brand Analog car, but place a SSD chip in it or one maybe a slot.it chip in and run it on the SSD track? I'm trying to learn as much as possible before picking a brand. I do really like the options with digital over analog!

We all felt
in the beginning....but this forum helped quite a lot.

That is the basic idea, yes. Please note I say basic. As some of the members have pointed out, shall we say other challenges, with parts of the systems -guides, track, cost and motor RPM....

You are also right when you say SLOT.IT chip as they use the Scaley code to run the chip - that means you can overcome some of the RPM limits of the Scaley chips as the SLOT.IT chip can apparently handle more RPM. On the other hand the SLOT.IT chip is much larger than the Scaley chips....and you might need to modify it to fit in other cars that are not SLOT.IT cars.

I see Carrera also does the Pixar cars in digital. The Evolution version is also digitally upgradeable - meaning it will take a CARRERA digital chip with no hassles. As far as I know Scaley also have Pixar cars...but they are not available in the US. It also seems the Scaley Pixar cars are not DPR....well I can't see anything about DPR/Pixar combination on their website.

In my opinion if you're just going to do "rug racing" with your son I'd stick with a "pure" system to keep things simple.....but that rarely happens....I was just going to have a figure of 8 track with 10 cars.....
I have over a 100 cars now and more track than I know what to do with.....and I don't even have a son to share it with.....

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You are correct, the Scalextric pixar cars are not DPR, in fact they don't even have the hole for the saloon chip LED. Easily fitted though.

·
Greg Gaub
14,646 Posts
In the states, Carrera beats Scalextric hands down when it comes to digital cars. Not only do equivalent (full interior with lights, etc) Scalextric cars cost $50, but you then have to add the chip to it. Typical cost for a Carrera digital car is $45. Crazy. They also have a pretty good selection of cars. Their system is also pretty full featured and robust. Really, the one disadvantage to the system is also an advantage. Their large track makes it hard to get much in a small space, but it also is large enough for pretty much any size slot car. You can't run many 1/24 cars on Scaley track. Even the 1/28 Ninco Xlot cars are a tight squeeze. Apparently the Carrera chips can handle a slot.it orange can without any problems. I can't say the same for stock Scalextric chips. Carrera track is more expensive than Scalextric, though, so making a large layout will cost more than doing it in Scalextric. But, with the number of cars a person tends to add to a collection, you can save quite a bit if you get mostly Carrera cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts