SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of the Carrera 25th Anniversary Porsche 911 and was thinking of buying one.

As I understand it, it is an old model that has had a limited re-launch in celebration of Carreras 25 yrs.

It looks like the appearance of the car might have had a facelift but what about the guts, does it sit on a modern Carrera chassis ?

Can it compete with a modern Carrera/Fly/Scaley release or should it be considered as a bit of a novelty destined to gather dust on the shelf ?

Thanks for any guidance

·
Registered
773 Posts
...sorry folks, these Porsches are not competitive without any additional work! Guide blade setup, front axle, polarity switch - and axle! When I've the time to do it, I'll place a detailled review on my hp / and slotforum - maybe with the assistance of Swiss...

·
Registered
392 Posts
jonny s is right. I have some of them ( Ferrari Uovo, Plymouth Superbird and other Americans ); they are a beauty, and I will buy others, but don't run very well. On our Ninco track the Plymouth didn't ran more than 10 cm ( half feet ) because the guide is huge, to say the least. We changed it and she ran, but not so fast and smooth as the Scalextric ones; it's a pity. I have read in Model Car Racing that the Jaguar D is very fast on home tracks, thanks to the twin mag, but I don't like mag, so....

Ciao

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys....sprint, I know what you mean about the Dodge and Plymouth cars, I was quite dissapointed with them. it took me a while to get them moving on my Sport track and after I did I thought they were very sluggish, probably due to their size and weight ?

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and buy the 911 and await Thomas' tips and tricks on tuning it up

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
They have the new chassis & although they are not super fast they are a bit quicker than the Vintage NASCAR's mostly by virtue of their larger tires, smaller size & lower center of gravity. I have not tuned mine, but as suggested they can probably be made to go fairly well with moderate to extensive modification. They are very pretty cars though & I think they will continue to be popular & sought after for years to come.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree, they are beautiful cars and worth having, also for their look alone; if someone has already made simple mods to make better runners, please show us his work. For example they have really big tyres : there are better substitutes on the market? And also wheels fixed with screws on axles?

Ciao

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 911 turned up this morning.......what an excellent model, I am very pleased with it, I was expecting a basic shell with some pretty martini livery but it looks right at home next to my other cars. I actually thought the pictures might be making it look better than it really is but not at all, this is a smart looking model.

I hope to give it some track time over the weekend, if my girlfriend will let me move the settee and coffee table.....I desperatley need two 5ft x 5ft tables for my spare room...anyone know a good chippie ?

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Yeah, but shouldn't you eat after you've made the tables.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What about some 1/2 inch MDF sheets cut to size by you friendly Homebase chap and some easy to make tressle legs - just 2x1 cut up relatively accurate, hinges and a bit of rope tied between the legs to stop them splaying out flat under the weight. We did that in the garage temporarily - two years ago and still standing strong.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.