SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Evolution anolog sets, one has black controllers and one has red.

I decided to run my circuit the opposite way around, anticlock instead of clockwise, so I turned the power cable connector around so that the positive was in the negative hole etc.

After about 1/2 an hour of trying to get it to go that way around, trying all four ends from the two power supplies, I decided to try the black controllers and they worked.

So for some strange reason Carrera in their wisdom have made two sets of controllers that look alike apart from the colour but somehow wired different inside

I'm tempted to take one apart and see why but I'd be fearful of not getting it back together again

·
Registered
181 Posts
The black controllers are resistor and don't care which polarity,the red are electronic and only work with a negative polarity.
If you want to run the other way around you can change connections at the track rails.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (2FER SLOTS @ 22 Aug 2011, 11:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want to run the other way around you can change connections at the track rails.

I presume it's just the brake wire that would need changing?

·
Rich Dumas
3,545 Posts
When you change the direction that your track runs by swapping the leads at the power supply you also change the track polarity. Polarity refers to the direction that power goes through the controller. For some reason sets use what we call negative polarity while nearly everyone that wires their track from scratch uses positive polarity. Resistor controllers work either way, electronic controllers only conduct in one direction. More sophisticated electronic controllers can have a switch or jumpers to avoid the polarity problem. If you could reverse the connections to the track rails you could change the direction without changing the track polarity. The electronic controllers will work if you leave the brake wire disconnected and reverse the other two wires. Here are a couple of diagrams that illustrate the two methods of wiring a track:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And is that different to just plugging in the power supply the opposite way around, which I've tried?

BTW, does anyone know what ohm rating they are?

Thanks

·
Rich Dumas
3,545 Posts
As soon as I posted the two diagrams I realized that the were actually the same, Photobucket has been running very slowly lately and it took me 15 minutes to correct the first diagram.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts