SlotForum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your time and effort helping me.
All these are intersting plans and so many options for someone to consider.

What do you think of this ? Hair Scaled reptile Art Rectangle Electric blue . I am inclined more to this.

Also no space for borders it is just this .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you keep your tyres clean then less advantage for leaning on the barriers, but I’d still make some up wherever they will fit and for R1 turns you can use Scaley R2 borders, they are about 50mm wide so fit in more spaces. For the R2 loop I actually packed it up under the outer edge maybe 1/4” or 6mm to bank it slightly, then cars could go faster, and again less requirement for the shoulders or barriers to be ridden on. I like the design there, only worry is visibility of cars re-entering track from pitlane, some crashes may happen under that R2 elevation above the pit exit.. I note you have both sections of the esses section as R2, I actually found it was a lot of fun to have one part as R1 and then R2 or vice verse depending of the race direction (I tried both) but really, you need to build it and try it to know what it’s going to feel like, you may find you want to tweak some things after driving it. I’ll shortly add another variant that I ran for a while, just in case it spurs any further ideas. It was about tweaking the design to fit my curved lane changer in the best spot.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here is the idea I was just talking about, just imagine the straight shortened by one straight, and the R2 loop as continuous rather than interrupted by that single straight. It isnt shown but was to use a curved lane changer. You actually probably wont like it as the flow isnt quite as good. Oh well I guess it shows how many different ways you can tweak things.

. Automotive design Asphalt Rectangle Art Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Here is a slight tweak of your above design... Top straight shortened by 1/3 straight, allows a little better visibility under the R2 loop, part of the esses have a compounded R2/R1/R2, compounding curves can yield a lot of fun driving fun but again would need to try it to know just how it will feel. Something you could try later I guess if you wanted to.

Trying to think about what you could do about visibility of the pit exit. Or maybe it will be ok as you have it, hard to know.

Apologies for some typos and missing punctuation in the last couple of posts, part of the mobile device experience
tongue.png

Hair Head Eye Font Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This idea came to me during the day... That if you elevate and angle the curve section that is above the main straight, almost like banking but flat, that if you can elevate and angle it just right, that you would have some visibility of the pitlane underneath, assuming drivers positions are in front of the CU. Would make the layout more interesting as well.

I also added an R2 at the end of the straight as it allows faster corner entry speed (even just one R2 will make quite a difference) and took the liberty of compounding the exit of turn 1 as well (its fun to drive like that
wink.png
)

Couple of ways you could do it... Of course, it is entirely up to you, these are just suggestions.

Orange Font Organism Art Reptile

You could put a straight LH LC just after the CU, would be ideal because you can avoid a car that is potentially leaving the pits... Some people will say that the RH turn 1 is too close to the pit exit, but Ive never had problems with this kind of arrangement.
Orange Font Art Line Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Angle of view from drivers... Will that work with that lowest R2 loop? Other thing I really think youll be missing out on speed and flow by putting that 1/60 at the end of the last turn, that loop was quite a thrill when I had a similar layout.

Edit: assuming you will be investing in a quantity of these pieces I suppose you could just build it, try it, change it to your fancy.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Might be too far from what you envisage, but had this idea... Idea being that you cut some R1 pieces down the centreline to complete the curved pitlane entry. There aren't many places to put lane changers in however.

Art Orange Organism Line Font

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Once these layout ideas get in my head I can't get rid of them.

I thought, what if you bought two 6 packs of R2 and one pack of R3...

I think you would have quite a good view of the pitlane entry and exit from the sight line of driver's position. Flow is a bit different so not sure what you would think or feel about that, but here goes...

Organism Font Urban design Art Line

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
14,988 Posts
That's pretty good. My only concern is the elevation changes needed, but I see that's been the same for most of the recent designs, so it'll just need to be tested out.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yes, the elevation changes are definately something worth thinking about. From memory, when I ran something similar (but with turn 2 going under the straight rather than over it) I had an elevation of about 130mm, (I did run 140mm but ended up lowering it) but I think there might be enough room if done gradually and spread out over a number of track sections (as many as possible) This is going to take a bit of fiddling about and working out a system of risers (e.g. series of upside down U shaped cut from soft wood such as pine for ease of assembly) to figure out just how much is required and where. In fact the descending elevation when I had that turn 2 under the straight was really, really fun, the cars going sideways on the descent was really cool. But would take some backward steps in this design to make it like that, driver postion would need to move to the opposite side for instance. Instead, this kind of feel would be felt on turn 3 and 4, would need to drive it to know as you say, testing required.

I did tweak a couple more minor changes after I posted that, but will wait to see if Geor74 has any further feedback.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well at the moment I have not anything to my hands to experiment with , as orders are severely delayed. Neither had any experience before, so everything is on the theoretical side of things.
Sure thing is that my first design will be this: Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Bicycle part Auto part and that is because the set I am waiting is this https://www.carrera-toys.com/en/product/20023628-double-victory so I am going with all the pieces available to me (including the bridge support) given my space restrictions.
The red outline is my space outline.
Track length 9.58 for outer lane and 8.96 for the inner one.

Exception is the pit lane since is a hard to find item at the moment. Fortunately I obtained an App connect module to run the smart race app with a tablet to make things more interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ok, so a 1:24 set... The set comes with shoulders which is a good thing. I haven't run 1:24 at home but many who have say that you'll need those shoulders. Means taking another look at the proposed design for the future if you want to maintain compatibility with the 1:24 cars. The longer straight will be fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, so a 1:24 set... The set comes with shoulders which is a good thing. I haven't run 1:24 at home but many who have say that you'll need those shoulders. Means taking another look at the proposed design for the future if you want to maintain compatibility with the 1:24 cars. The longer straight will be fun.
I will run 132 cars . Bought two of those. No space for shoulders.I bought the set because of the extra pieces and the wireless controllers. Hard to find these times wireless sets. The total price for the extra pieces , wireless set and a normal 132 set would be higher! Plus I will have the 124 cars and if I dont need them I can always sell them at
ebay.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I suggest you to swap the change-lane sector position.
Now the first one put you in the blue lane and the second ... is good only for switch to the blue lane.

If you find some other pieces of track, maybe this layout will fit your space (and hope your likes):

Font Line Rectangle Slope Magenta

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Since your design has (x12) R1/60's in it, if you added x4 R2's maybe you could do something like this if it fits in your space... It's just an idea, maybe it could inspire something else if you don't like it or won't be able to access the required pieces. Not sure if it will actually fit in your space.

The (x4) R2's can easily be replaced by (x2) R1/60's and a single straight, they will slot right into the same space at the end of the straight. But I suggest against accumulating too many R1/60's... As you expand your layout you will realise that you will have less and less need for them. I have actually cut a few of them in half and made R1/30's out of them, I used the (removeable) electrical connection tabs from unused pieces to complete them. The red lugs of course won't work but you can epoxy or hot glue them into place if you are game (avoid too much heat)

Here goes... Vertebrate Organism Font Line Automotive exterior

Or how about this if you can get hold of a 6 pack of R2...

Product Font Urban design Rectangle Asphalt

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts