SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is for everyone but particularly @MrFlippant and @GRUNZ whom i said i would show a pic once i got it set up.
i was reading back through digital post last night that reminded me, so here it is!
it is a mix of carrera and scaleauto track. grip is very similar between the two. carrera CU is standard with truspeed controllers. i have the adapter for more controllers. track is about 21m long

right now we are also running oxigen cars with scp3. just finishing setting that up

once im happy with the layout i will add some buildings
Automotive design Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Hood

cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah probably but it is so close you can hardly tell the difference. if you don't mind that it looks different then its ok.
im playing with the smartrace app atm but with oxigen controlled cars it only reads one car even though there are multiple cars going around the track. i assume that the timing reads off the controller port so it only detects the first car that was set up.
time for some reading!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
going all oxigen means more cost and it is complex. not appealing to everyone. some yes.
the simplest way is appealing to more people to want to try. buy a car, put a chip in it then drive

this is why i am trying to have the 2 options.

this is a public set up so trying to keep it simple for the public but have the option for more refinement for the racers.

yes we will probably need to go full oxigen at some point

·
ParrotGod
11,980 Posts
@Picko990: when you say public, what do you mean? Others come racing with you and they bring their own controller/car?
As for oXigen, cost is one of the main barriers. Because I like the system, I have taken the brunt of the cost and supply most of the controllers to my drivers.
They take care of their own cars and chips.
The complexity is there. But if you as race director master the software aspects (RMS, hardware registration, firmware updates) then for the user/driver it should be not too complicated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
g'day grunz. we are a shop, commercial enterprise. slot car racing as a whole is new in this country. we have started with analogue 4 lane. now we have set up the digital but simple and low cost for the end user is the goal.

i agree if i handle all the operations stuff its easier for people but money still talks. im not going to supply a bunch of scp3's and add to the complexity to someone walking off the street. we use the truspeed controller and they work great. pull the trigger and a sensitivity adjustment knob, again simple is good.

your more serious guys are willing to invest in the controller so i want to try accomodate both. if it works cool, if not, we look at other options

incidentally you can run 1 oxigen car with carrera based cars and get lap timing on smartrace. the reason only 1 car is because the system uses the controller ID for recognition so i think it only sees the first car that was linked to the controller ID. i haven't looked a whole lot into it but it does not seem there is an easy way around this.

so i think the solution will be to try set up 2 seperate systems, the carrera standard and then oxigen where we can switch between the two.

this doesn't achieve what we wnat but it appears to be the only option.

·
ParrotGod
11,980 Posts
I am not sure if you know, but you can use the scalextric arc pro controllers as oXigen controllers by just changing the firmware via the slot.it app.
Sure, they do not have any controls but they are dead cheap.
But to be honest, given your settings, you should keep as a dual use track: Carrera for the casual and beginner customers (to introduce them to digital) and oXigen for the most advance customers.
I believe that given your space, you cannot accommodate more than 8 drivers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts