SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laid out the track before building the tables. Here are some preliminary shots of the layout. The idea is to have straights separated by well defined turns so the drivers are constantly accelerating then braking. No slop. There are a variety of turns with several decreasing radius R4->R1s, a 180 R2 Banked Turn (not shown in pic), flat R2s (shown with banked R2s -- flat pieces are in the mail), and a broad 90* R4 sweeper (shown with cars in pic).

Running length is 83' and the plan is for 8 crossovers (I only have 4 now). I havent really decided where to place the crossovers yet. The table is 7x21'. Its a pretty big layout but because it is 1/24 scale carrera track, it looks smaller than it really is.

The plan is to have it fully scenic-ed and setup on a waist high table, which will be built this weekend. Because the table is against a wall, there is a plan to have a 1.5x2' hole in the backside of the table for a marshall to work so that catching cars during a race will not be a problem.

I can run two lanes of analog and when friends are over, it will be four car NASCAR action!

-darainbow

I will update with more pics as building progresses. Please pardon the poor photo quality as they were taken with a video camera on low resolution.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The circuit looks brilliant, as does your choice of cars!

Best of luck with it.

James

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Cool layout!
Some of the corners made me think how I would like it to look like when I come around to make my own track!
Just one question - where do you intend to lay down the LC's?
You say you have four now but wants four more.
Do you want to put in before a corner?
(Must say my pc screen is very dark, so I can't see it in the pictures. Must buy a new screen some day.)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Slotrace.dk @ 16 Oct 2004, 11:45)Cool layout!
Some of the corners made me think how I would like it to look like when I come around to make my own track!
Just one question - where do you intend to lay down the LC's?
You say you have four now but wants four more.
Do you want to put in before a corner?
(Must say my pc screen is very dark, so I can't see it in the pictures. Must buy a new screen some day.)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

The LCs are spaced evenly throughout the track, but I will experiment once the table is built to find the optimal placemet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Superb layout, I'm sure you will have lots of hours of fun with it. I have never really taken a liking to Carrera's cars except the 575 GTC. Their colour schemes on The Plymouth Superbirds, Ford Torino are slightly too bright and pink, blues, oranges mixed dont suit cars in my opinion.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Very Impressive,, and it will be interesting to see how your racing nights work out using Digital.

I love the cars..........So nice to see them on a road course.

Graham/Phil , these cars would make a great basis for next years World Proxy event....I can envisage a Brass X-Frame Daytona........................

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
A truly excellent layout

Love the banked turns, youv'e used the space really well.

Thanks for posting the pics, looks great

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adding retaining walls. This hardboard stuff is great. Its easy to work with and flexible. I plan to bend it and create curved walls.

BTW, traditional slottists owe digital a debt of gratitude. Just last year a photo shot of four cars on a two lanes would be sheer fantasy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
QUOTE (Crazy-Chris @ 4 Nov 2004, 16:43)Can't wait until I get my ProX Nascars, too.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...not only you Chris - -tried to get some while I'm here in US - but all shops seem to be sold out! A good sign in my opinion as it shows, that there is a market for this system. If it takes to long to wait, maybe I'll rework the F1-cars and change the chassis to Nascars...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (thomas @ 4 Nov 2004, 17:14)QUOTE (Crazy-Chris @ 4 Nov 2004, 16:43)Can't wait until I get my ProX Nascars, too.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...not only you Chris - -tried to get some while I'm here in US - but all shops seem to be sold out! A good sign in my opinion as it shows, that there is a market for this system. If it takes to long to wait, maybe I'll rework the F1-cars and change the chassis to Nascars...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ebay sales seem strong -- I dont know how in store sales are. Unfortunately, we cant get the F1 cars yet! My firends have expressed more interest in F1.

I have contacted some sellers on German ebay and they are willing to ship overseas. Perhaps you can contact someone on ebay.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Annapolis International Raceway -- LC Locations

Here is where the LCs will initially be placed. The plan is for 8 LCs (I have 6 now) although 10 may be ideal.

There are a couple of dynamics going on here. Let me explain my thinking (comments welcome):

LCs 1 & 2: These are placed before a relatively long and easy section (straights and banked turns). There are 2 LCs so that both lanes have option to get around slower traffic. Most cars including beginners will figure out how to maintain optimal speed through this section. The inner lane through banked is probably a bit faster and will be choice of experienced drivers. If you are trailing a fast driver, you will probably draft behind him on the inside lane, realizing there is no chance of passing on the outside. If you are trailing a slower driver, you may decide to take the outer lane. One advantage of the outer lane is that you have "right of way" (* explained later) entering the next section.

LC 3: This LC enables a "racing line" as taking the inside of the next righthand sweeper is probably faster. A fast driver will probably take this LC unless he is approaching traffic in which case he will stay on the outer lane which presents some passing opportunities. He can always later take LC5 to get back on the racing line.

LC 4: This LC is a "passing" LC and probably will only be taken to get around slower traffic. Driver can use LC5 to get back on racing line or stay on the outside if he has not yet passed slower traffic. Very likely, alot of passing will occur on the outer lane of this section between LCs 3 and 5.

LC5 & 6: These LCs enables a "racing line" through the switchbacks. In my experience, the inside of a carrera R1 can be driven faster than the outside, but only because lane length is shorter. However, exit speed is slower so traffic passing on the outside may have an advantage coming out of the turn. Traffic taking the outside of either turn in the switchback has "right of way" entering the next straight, so if it is driven particularly well by a passing driver, the leading car may be advised not to switch in front of the car charging from behind because he can legally be rammed! Slower drivers are advised not to use LCs through this section because faster drivers approaching from behind have liscence to remove slower traffic in front of them. Therefore if courtesy is observed, fast drivers can use the switchbacks to weave through slower traffic. If there is no traffic, the racing line will be the best approach.

LC7 & 8: These LCs enable cars in both lanes to position themselves for a fairly long stretch of about 15-20'. The lane length of both lanes in the following section (R4 sweeper followed by right then left R1s)is about equal. It is not clear at this point which lane will be faster. My hope is that both lanes are about the same overall time to negotiate so that there will be alot of "duels" in this section. Because there are 2 LCs entering this section, a faster driver should have the opportunity to position himself with a clear line through this section. Due to "right of way", slower drivers are not advised to use these LCs or risk being rammed from behind.

Racing Rules of A.I.R

*** Rule #1 ***
Rear ending someone and causing a deslot is a penalty.

*** Rule #2 ***
The responsibily of sucessfully changing lanes falls on the shoulders of the driver changing lanes. If he causes a deslot as a result of a lane change, he is penalized.

*** Rule #3 ***
A car already in a lane has "right of way". If another car switches in front of a car with "right of way", the trailing car has the right to ram and remove the offending traffic. "Right of Way" is maintined until the next LC is reached (alternatively, until the 2nd LC is reached). If a car changes lanes and can reach the next LC, he is then "safe" and the pass is considered clean. If he is rammed and removed from traffic after a clean pass, rule#1 takes effect.

Addendum: A car that uses a LC is vulnerable to being rammed until he reaches the next LC. *Any* trailing car (regardless of lane) can ram one that uses an LC.

***Impact and Intent of Rules and Course Design***

There are adequate passing opportunities and LCs are positioned to enable fast drivers to avoid being locked behind slower traffic. Slower drivers are advised to use caution before changing lanes or risk being rammed from behind by faster drivers. If courtesy is observed, faster drivers will use LCs to weave through traffic, otherwise LCs can be used to take a "fastest racing line". (In practice, if a fast driver is approaching slower traffic, he is advised to take the LC and can maneuver around the slower car. If the slower car disobeyes courtesy and uses the LC, he will probably be rammed and removed by the faster car. Faster driver may be required to call "pass" to signal his intent.)

Also, there are sections of the course that are more "equal" and will allow more evenly matched drivers to duel for position.

***Notes***

Fast lap time will probably be around 8s, so passing opportunities will present themselves every 1-2s.

Fastest Racing Line: LCs 1,3,6,7 or (1),3,6,8

[/size][/size][/color]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts