SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great weekend (as always) at this weekends Festival of Speed but was I the only one to sample Carrera's new digital System? After racing on and after much wreckage! (sorry guys)
, carreras four lane analouge circuit, I stepped outside to find an unattended 2 lane track with 4 F1 cars on it.
The controllers had the old style plungers for speed control and a small trigger for lane changing. I picked one up and off I went slamming staight into the back of a parked Williams after only one lap!
I removed a couple of the cars and started racing against a passer by and boy did we have a ball! The circuit was a basic oval with 2 passing sections per straight(just before each corner) but it was more than enough to prove to me that this is the future of slot racing.
We swapped places like no tomorrow diving into the inside, cutting back out again I really didnt think it was going to be this good. By the time a crowd had gathered and 2 more drivers entered the fray we were all just knocked out by it, I think some mentioned the 'not having so much fun with your clothes on' line in there somewhere!
Hope the Scalex version is going to be as good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for your comment, lobsterboy.

As far as I know, Carrera Pro-X (digital) uses a shifting magnet to improve lane changing. It's OK for standard market, I'm sure it works very well, but... Did you tested it without magnet? I wonder if this system works without magnet as well as with it (or if at least is driveable).

Please, don't get me wrong, I just want to know if this could work as a proffessional digital system, similar to DAVIC.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
QUOTE I picked one up and off I went slamming staight into the back of a parked Williams after only one lap!
Funny, that's exactly what happened to me when I tried Davic in Paris !
I have a feeling this is the initiation rite to digital

Beppe

·
Registered
420 Posts

ok - so now I know who it was that refused to let anyone else have a go for hours...

well when I was there the digital set was constantly busy and the drivers certainly seemed to have a lot of fun with it.
I was under the impression that the system worked very well indeed and did not hear any negative comments at all from those that were driving - young or old.

//peter

·
Registered
420 Posts
It is a bit difficult to say - the fullsize racing cars passing by in the background were very NOISY - but to be honest I did remember that people had said it had been loud on the toy fair - but at Goodwood it did not seem to be very noticable - so it is possible that Carrera has fixed it somehow. But as I said - the whole thing was outdoors this time...
//peter

·
Registered
610 Posts
QUOTE (Nep72 @ 30 Jun 2004, 08:12)Thanks for your comment, lobsterboy.

As far as I know, Carrera Pro-X (digital) uses a shifting magnet to improve lane changing. It's OK for standard market, I'm sure it works very well, but... Did you tested it without magnet? I wonder if this system works without magnet as well as with it (or if at least is driveable).
The shifting magnet is not only to improve lane changing, it also redcuces the "magnetic" feeling known from fixed magnets. The magnet is always next to to the (dont know the english word, these two metal things
), no matter what drifting angle the car has. That means, dthe driving has a rather non-magnetic feeling.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
it seemed to be working really well at goodwood and with the lane changing was great fun to.
i had not been previosly won over by digital
untill now

·
Registered
715 Posts
YAY!! YAY!! Your telling me what I wanted to hear. I think a bunch of us WANT to believe that this will be great. As a matter of fact I re-introduced a guy at work to the hobby yesterday by taking him to that oldslotracer.com site. I talked about the concept of "real" overtaking to another guy and he said: "Wow, that DOES sound cool. I'd get into it if it were more real like that."

Perhaps the future is bright for the hobby. Good implementation will be the key, however.

Hey! Wait a minute! Note that Lobsterboy is a Newbie. What would make him make this new trip to the forum and go all the way down to the digital discussion? Hmmm. Could the lobster denote his decidedly "red" color like the CARRERA LOGO PERHAPS!!?? Could he be a "plant"/alter personality to keep the topic hot?

Maybe it's a little marketing ploy, eh? Well, I suppose we will see moped and "Lobsterboy" duking it out here soon!!

-Maltese

·
Registered
480 Posts
LITTLE BIT WIDE OF THE MARK MALTY! I posted it as NEWS as a matter of fact as I thought it was that good! I dont work for Carrera or have anything to do with their products but do have connections in the slot business. For the record I have a collection of around 300 cars. I like modifying/ repainting and have a 60' scenic layout with an extended working pit lane. Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome!

·
Registered
715 Posts
All in great fun. Terrific to have you aboard! You have truly boosted my spirits. It was great to see that picking up the controller and running was not some alien affair....

Then again it should not be...it IS driving, eh?

Thanks for the report. I look forward to your insights and findings on the subject. It is near and dear to my heart.

Welcome

-Maltese

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Oh. Ah. I think that Goodwood digital set up must have been the one at the foot of the steps to the trailer with the four laner in it.

That'll be the one I walked right past, then, seduced by the lure of a prize.

Well, it looked just like a simple two lane oval with Formula One (yawn) cars to me.

I didn't look too closely at the track in the 'bubble' tent at the other end of the trailer either. It was boasting a loop-the-loop set up which was just going to make me glaze over.

Quite impressive performance my the lad really: at the Slough swapmeet I was running too late to try the SCX digital that two kids were hogging anyway and at Goodwood I blindly strolled past the Carrera offering. Two opportunities missed.

Sheesh, it's like I kinda don't care two stuffs for digital.

Ho, hum.

Glad you liked it Lobsterboy (Where did that name come from?)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think why I was so enthusiastic about the carrera digital display track was that for the first time I believe it can work and bring even more fun to our hobby. Ive not seen/tested anyone elses but I gather that at most toy fairs so far the scaley and scx ones have been mock ups. I have been quite sceptical over how these systems would work. The scx one I gather is a stand alone system and uses unique cars and track, so I think that one is going to be a bit of a non-starter. I think scalex have got it right by offering it as a retro fit system to the existing range and ive heard it said off the record that there aint a 32nd slot car made that wont be able to take their chip
. However even if this is the case and the chips were just say a fiver each it would be far too costly for me to convert all my cars to digital operation
. However we wait with baited breath and hope again that the scalex version can perform as well as what I tried at Goodwood.

Thanks for the welcomes Malty n Wankel

p.s. lobsterboy could mean that I'm half boy and half strange.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks, Crazy Chris.

I hoped to test it last November in Barcelona (Saló del Hobby) but unfortunately I had no time to run some laps, and the Carrera dealer was very busy reslotting 1/43 cars driven by children.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts