SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
To give you a helping hand in preparing for the Championship i thought it might be an idea to get as many peoples points of view on the Championship cars i have started a seperate section for each of the six Championship cars.

Even if your note planning to compete your points are of interest.

Before you all start talking about swapping motors etc, bear in mind this is a box standard Championship no changes to standard spec allowed.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Jexy1,

The rules state... (nice rules page! I like the graphics
) NO modifications from standard, so no real prep or tuning can be done

However, Kevin, undo the rear magnet and see if there's a little plastic spacer beneath it. If the spacer is there then the mag should be close enough to the track to provide excellent downforce, coupled with the sliding mag in its rearmost position.
Make sure the braids aren't forcing the guide up the slot, the braids are nice and hefty and can cause problems.
Most Carrera Evo chassised cars run with the front wheels on the track - there's not much you can do about that.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Difflock - yes fair point, but it's the basic set up that i think people would benefit from hearing, i.e. if you have experience of running these cars already let us know how to get the best performance from them in standard trim.

Preperation and truing tyres etc, etc are all OK.

Gareth

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (JEXY1 @ 5 Apr 2004, 13:33)Preperation and truing tyres etc, etc are all OK.
Ah, I see.

I've not got an Enzo, but I do have a few Carrera Evolution cars - same chassis ideas.
Obviously make sure everything is meshing smoothly, rotating correctly and that tyres are trued. As regards smooth meshing of gears then you should have no problems with Carrera, I've always found the transmissions to be smooth and quiet. However, do make sure that gears and bearings are lubricated. I say this because, although Carrera cars usually come with white grease in all these areas, my latest (Al Unser dodge Charger) did not

When truing the tyres, try and true the front ones as well. They are usually running on the track and so if they aren't true they can make the car get a bit squirrelly under braking. Unlike other manufacturers, the Carrera front axles do not have any play in them apart from axle to bearing clearance.

If teh chamionship allows loosening of the screws to damp out vibration then try this too. I realise that some Carrera cars (like my Bentley) have cups which the body pins fit into so screw loosening may not get the desired result of body rock.

Hope this helps.

Gareth - please don't be upset, this is just my suggestion. You may wish to add to the rules the statement regarding tyre truing. After all, I presume you are promoting the championship to gain new membership (and why not?), but new slot pilots might not realise that round tyres are allowed

Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Difflock

Thanks for the tips - this is exactly what i'm after!

Ref tyres, See section 7:

c) Tyres: Tyres must be standard specification (not improved, Pro or after market types). Tyres can be trued, sanded and cleaned, but no adhesive liquids may be used to gain advantage.

Ref screws, see section 7:

j) Body to chassis screws can be loosened (but not removed) to aid body roll.

Hope this helps.

Gareth

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
D'OH!
Yes Gareth it does help! My apologies for not going onto the website and looking. I mistakenly assumed that the picture in your Championship thread took precedence!
Thank you for not making me feel and absolute moron, only an incremental one

Sorry.

Mark.

·
Registered
238 Posts
QUOTE (kevin hunter @ 5 Apr 2004, 13:22)any hints on just getting the enzo round a scalextric sports track would be helpful

kev an the lil one connor
Kev n lil'un....

Make sure you are using the correct guide blade with the Enzo. They come with the std carrera guide attached which is too deep on sport track, so change to the supplied shallower guide.

Also make sure the braids are as flat as possible as they are very thick braids.

With regard to other tips I think Diff has covered the basics...

True tyres, glue in bearings and check the gear/pinion are greased. Other than that I run the variable mag at it's rearmost position and find that the Enzo is actually one of the fastest mag cars on my sport track

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Muffin Man

That's a good point about the guide flag, see section 7 in the rules:

i) Carrera guide flags can be either trimmed to race on other track types where the guide flag is too deep or the guide flag can be replaced with the UK Carrera spec guide flag.

I have not actually got the ref number for the UK Carrera guide flag, but i belive some dealers have received them when they get thier cars delivered.

Maybe some one knows the ref number?

If not just trim them to suit.

gareth

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Following on from comments about running the Enzo on Ninco.

Last night we had the first round of the NSCC championship at our club in Farnham.

We ran the Enzo (with the rear screw in mag removed) on Ninco track, 12 volt, no braking.

They were fine, a little jumpy at the front, but pretty good for a first run.

I oiled them and lossened the chassis screws, but that was it.

Most people seemed to chose the sliding mag position towards the rear, but i might try it towards the front to help the guide stay in.

No problems with the guide flag riding the slot (i.e. not too deep).

Gareth

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi GRAH1

Not sure what you mean by pre-treated?

Cleaning with petrol OK,
softening up with oil - NO,
adding gloop - NO,
trueing - YES,
sanding - YES.

Basically the original rubber, cleaned and made round is fine, cleaning to remove rubbish is OK.
Treating and pre treating with grip enhancing liquids or other products is NOT OK.

As i have said before i won't be there to check at your clubs, so it's your call to check.

At the finals all the cars will be provided so you will not have the chance to enhance them in anyway.

Gareth

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Which is why we left them in that form for our Enzo round. I`m happy to see cars supplied out of the box with tyre prep done or not as long as the cars are either similar in performance or stay on the lanes for normal lane rotation, that way it is fair and even. Good enough for me

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
What Im pointing out here Gareth is that prior to the event you could treat the tyres with what ever substance you prefer to soften and enhance the grip and then gain an advantage during the event by having pre prepared tyres, Carrerea rubber reacts very well to this treatment and its not something thats easily policed.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi inte

As you say it's your club, as long as everyone does the same and no one is at a disadvantage it's your call, but the rules were set up to make it easier for everyone to take part and have a level playing field.

Might it not be a good idea to use the cars as they will be run at the finals - so you get a better feel for how they handle?

I look forard to seeing you at the finals?

Gareth

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There should be no problem with the Carrera Enzo on Ninco track with the screw in mag removed. I did not appreciate that the rules permitted this. My view was based on a box standard car with all magnets in place.

Moped

1 - 20 of 22 Posts