Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own any Carrera cars (yet) but I can get some of the F1s for a decent price - about 17 GBP. As I know nothing about these cars, I am looking for experienced opinions about their on-track performance and general quality. Anyone?

·
Registered
773 Posts
...nice looking, but no competition to actual SCX / Scalextric or Ninco single seaters! Axles are to weak - not hardened, guide has to be placed more in front of the car, with new chassis better driveable - but you've to work on that car!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've got the ferrari F1. It runs very smoothly and quietly, as all new Carrera's do. It has a similar magnet configuration to the other carrera evolution series, ie adjustable rear bar magnet and sliding/adjustable mid magnet. I run with magnets, and added a shim of card to bring the rear mag nearer to the track. With this, it performs very comparably to my scalextric F1s.

It looks great, sporting the UK/Australian no marlbora livery. I would say the scalextric ones are finished to a very slightly higher standard, but theres not much in it

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I once met this `girl` in Hamburg. On the outside `she` looked very pretty but later it transpired she did not have the technical parts to do the job!
Get the idea Fergy? Unless you run with magnets you will be very disappointed mate

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thomas knows Carrera very well and he's urging caution... that tells me something right there!

Astro thinks they work well in magnet form (as Jonny also alluded to).

Jonny... such a way with words!
...Remind me never to go bar hopping with you mate!

Thanks for the input guys! I hate passing up a bargain, but maybe I'll save my pennies and get the SCX/Scaley or Ninco instead.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
...but then again at 17GBP

The McLaren here has the older style chassis and the Ferrari the new. The main difference is that on the new chassis there is now a magnet to the rear and, the front (moveable) magnet is further forward:

To get the older chassis to work I've seen some guys simply superglue a magnet at the back.

In terms of running feel, the newer Ferrari reminds me of the Revell Daytona so experimenting with a smaller pinion might be interesting. Also, the positioning of the guide is set behind the front axle which also makes the handling a little "different". All in all, not quite as quick as the newer Scalextric F1's out of the box but with a little work...

Anyway, one things for sure. The old chassis is slower than the new - that's why Mika is getting the blue flag:

17 GBP

·
Registered
410 Posts
Its interesting how certain preferences for brand come through but let's be fair. The carrera Ferrari F1 is beautiful and the new chasis with magnet front and back is very good. The gearing is also good and improved from past "brakeless feel" efforts. The car handles very well but would have benefited from a pickup shoe placed more forward in the chassis. It keeps equal company with all but Scalextric F1's. However if modification is allowed I would remove the rear magnet and glue a PM neodium magnet in place. I also filed the lower chassis gear case as it did scrape a couple of times on my Scaley classic Autodrome layout. I have done this to the older Sauber effort also and the benefits are such that all the Carrera cars are equal to the new Scalextrics. The same mod was done on the Ninco Ferrari I own and the SCX Arrows ( which was by the way vastly underpowered till I fitted a PM can) and the car now holds a track record. So if you do some tweaking (isn't that part of motor sport) you can have a very equal and vastly entertaining field!

Good day,eh!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The older Carrera F1's such as the McLaren in the photos seem to be too tall - the side pods seem to be stretched vertically, also the tyres seem far too big for the wheels - they have too much sidewall. Now, I'm not one to join in with the "oh it's not scale" opinions too much, but IMHO the earlier F1's do not "look right".

Myself and Nick at Pendleslot have had this discussion where I was looking for a McLaren to buy for my Dad (he's called David
). The Scaley version was far more in proportion.

Mark.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hey John,

Nice to see one of my designs painted up (the marshal figure) I really like your neat style. Any chance of lots more piccies mate?

Fergy I reckon you are running non mag right? Don`t bother with either of your second choices mate, go with a Pro Slot Ferrari and you`ll be a happy man

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I have an opinion on the Carrera F1s as I own 3. The Ferrari is absolutely stunning in looks at detail and if you can get it for £17 then go for it! BTW, where'd you find that deal to?

In performance compared to my Renault and Toyota Scalex, it struggles. (but only just).

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I just think they look weird going round corners with the guide behind the front axle. Gives them a strange line-heavy understeer!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Just another comment additional to all that has been mentioned before. The new F1:s from Carrera are significantly different from the previous generations. It is not 'just the magnet' they have different engines and different gearing and also to me at least they seem to have a better detail quality. That is my opinion - the point with stating this is that anyone having made their description on the previous versions might be a bit unfair if that is just transferred to the newer ones. After all we could take the Scalextric Ferrari F1 and I am sure that most would agree that it is just not up to scratch with Scalextric newer F1. So if we would judge all Scalex F1 based on the Ferrari one - they would hardly be excessively recommended I can imagine - just a thought...

//peter

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE I reckon you are running non mag right?

Jonny, I figure I'll run modern F1s with mag. Nothing extreme but enough to make them drive more like the real thing. Vintage F1s definitely non-mag though.

QUOTE if you can get it for £17 then go for it! BTW, where'd you find that deal to?

jrc - a small shop here... in Canada. I only listed the price in pounds because most people here are in the UK - besides, it sounds cheaper to me than $43!

They didn't have the Ferrari, just the Williams and McLaren. So I assume then that they are the older cars.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John... we use our Canadian dollars for bathroom tissue... not much good for anything else!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Modern cars with magnet...my personal favourites would be SCX because they go fast enough, stay on well and look right. The motors go on forever and on a home circuit are quick enough and you can make up quite a grid. For club racing mag F1 has to be Scalextric for me as they are the quickest. That is straight out of the box as we race them here

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jonny, I've begun to think that way too. I should have given more info earlier. Intended track will be routed with magnetic braid, and fairly large. So it sounds like the bargain (older) Carrera will be a disappointment - I'll wait for a few more useless CAN dollars to accumulate and grab some of the better stuff.

Thanks for the input, guys!

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
Carrera? Hmmm, I think I got in a lot of hot water once for suggesting they were poo but I have to tell you this: in a recent open-wheels race on the bumpy Oxford plexy two of the shiney new Carrera Ferraris, all magged up, were soundly beaten by one of the 1992 vintage SCX Minardis, sans mugnut but with a lot of miles on her motor.

They just couldn't hack it.

To me, with my love of all things Carrera, it was a damn good laugh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts