SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting some news cars now that winter is upon us and I fancy a couple of Carrera 458s.

Will they run OK on fairly lumpy Scalextric Classic track or will I have to butcher / swap the guides?

Also, how do they go? My bench mark is SCX cars, so are the Carreras faster, slower or the same?

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
If they have the integral disc type of guide then file the sides and the bottom and you may have to cut off the rear 4mm if you have any tight curves. If they have the massive 1/24 guide that simply pops into the chassis hole then you can trim the shaft of a Ninco guide with a number 11 blade. Otherwise you should be OK. The cars are good performers, but heavy and they lack braking ability due to the weight whomping around at high velocity. Best raced with 30ohm controllers. Go any higher than that and they are not paricularly responsive cars.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the dark blue (road version) 458 Italia and it runs quite well on Scalex Sport track after a bit of filing down of the standard guide blade. I find the blade very long though, but it works okay on my track as I don't have any very tight (R1) corners. For some reason, it doesn't register at all on the standard Scalextric analogue lap counter/timer. Can't figure out why at all.
This is my first Carrera car and here are a few comments:
-It is quite heavy and seems to be built like a tank.
-Body detail and construction are very good.
-It is very smooth in operation.
-Handles well, to a point (but this is likely due to it being fitted with 2 magnets) but then just 'lets go'. Would like to maybe see removal of 1 of the magnets and the fitting of better tyres.
Steve

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Steveca,

If I were you I would stick with SCX or Scaley.To me they are still the best all round performers
Carrera look nice but you will definetly have to modify to get them to run decently especially on an older bumpier track,and of course as mentioned not very good brakes.

Cheers
Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts