SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read all the manuals and searched through many forums to try find a good summary of how oxigen can work with the various platforms. i have seen greg's video and it is very helpful. thanks greg!
there is still one question remaining for me...

can i use scp-3 with a c chipped car on a complete carrera system and have everything work?

from what i have read people say to have seperate power for the rails and then use the carrera powerpack to control the PB and LC. then with the LC button pressed on a controller it should work. they also say you can run an bunch of cars on this. but what if you run less than the 6 cars as suggested by people on the carrera supply. do you still need to split the power source?

so, for example if i have 3 oxigen cars running on the unmodified carrera track can i change lanes?
cars would be running OS firmware in D132 mode right? am i understanding this correctly?
and carrera digital cars could still be on the track?

so i have a new carrera digital track. i have gotten my c chipped car to work as a carrera car by changing the firmware and using carrera controller. it changes lanes and sets the tone off when it goes over start finishline. switching it to O2 firmware i can run and car and get it to register tones when passing the start finish line but it won't change lanes.

ive tried carrera controllers in all 4 control ports. i believe the oxigen car and controller are set to ID1.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
345 Posts
i think if you read the oxigen instructions on the slotit web site you will see all that is necessary for lane changes ,you are on the right track , with using a carrera controller pluged into port 1 (i think) and hold the lane change button down with a rubber band
i have read all the instructions ,but not having the controller and chips its a bit hard to grasp but it was written quite plane

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
Port #4, and more specifically, car ID#4 for the Carrera controller with the LC button held down. I say that because if you put it in port #4, but have an expander (such as for wireless controllers), then port 4 becomes ID#6.

You will also need to install magnets under the track a few CM from the start/finish sensor, to make sure the car emits the ID as it passes over the sensor, or for pure oXigen lap counting (requiring the oXigen USB dongle).

Finally, the car chip installation. Carrera digital uses opposite of normal track polarity, so you need to set the screw on the chip to the AC position, OR, reverse the wires to the pickup from normal. The chip won't work if the screw is in DC but gets the wrong polarity. Using AC only loses like 0.5v total power, so I just set all my chips that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks greg.
yes i just switched the wires from the pick up and left the screw in dc.

for runinng the car, last night i tried all ID's 1-6 just to see. i got the same result for all.... it would change lanes with the controller in port 3 no matter what ID i was using!! (i will take a video of this later). it would not change lanes with the SCP-3 but only the carrera controller but i was driving with the SCP-3.

so to be clear, c chip in nsr car with O2 controller. O2-0306 firmware on chip
track is all original unmodified

i have no way of confirming firmware and then mode because i can't get the app working. im changing ID through the controller and relying on the lcd for feedback.

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
I'm not sure why it's working for D132 ID #3 rather than #4, but the oXigen car should change lanes regardless of what ID the OXIGEN car is. They have the cars all emit the same ID, so that you don't need 6 controllers plugged into the CU with the buttons held down, only one. And you should strap down the LC button on the controller so that pressing the LC on the oXigen controller is what actuates the lane changing.

You're using oXigen for lap counting and race management, correct? Or, are you wanting the Carrera CU to count laps for you?

I think a video would help, because it could be a simple matter of the LC being too close to the magnets under the CU. The LC should not be close after the CU (where your magnets have been placed) because the car will be emitting the ID as it crosses the CU (due to the magnets). That's also what triggers the lane change. When an oXigen car (with the LC LED in D132 mode) drives around normally, it does not emit anything, and should therefore not change lanes. However, when it crosses a magnet, or when you press the button on your SCP, it does emit the signal. This is how it gets around the way Carrera Digital lane changing works.

Carrera Digital lane changing works by the CU itself telling the lane changers to watch out for the car ID that wants to change lanes. The car isn't actually sending a "lane change" signal, it's simply emitting it's ID. The CU is sending a signal to ALL the lane changers like "Car #4 wants to change lanes!" and any LC that sees car 4 while it's being told that, will flip the LC. To avoid changing lanes all the time, the oXigen car doesn't emit anything until you press the LC button on your SCP. The only other time it emits anything is for about about a second after you cross the magnet at the s/f line (or under the CU, if that's where you put them), in order to assist the CU to count laps for users that want to do that. If you happen to place the lane changer right after the CU, then the car will be emitting its ID long enough to trigger that lane changer, and it will always change lanes. Move the LC further away.

I don't know why it's doing it for ID#3, but you're using an old version of the firmware that is no longer supported. It's best to update to the latest version, if possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thanks for the info greg. im not concerned about timing at this point. just normal driving conditions on the track. so magnets dont come into play, there isnt any under the track.

you can see by the video that as long as i hold down that button the car will continue to change lanes.

if i update the firmware, through nrf since im on IOS, the car no longer goes. i can download D132 firmware to run as a carrera car and it does not run with latest firmware either. so i have go back to older firmware for both D132 and O2 to make the car go. it functions properly as a carrera car. its just the O2 side that is funny.

hope this helps

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
When you download the new firmware on the chip the car does not go because you cannot register the chip, correct?
I think that with the stock firmware you might be seeing some unintended behaviour when running with the oXigen firmware.
I am not sure if you have done it or it is even possible with the stock firmware, but can you change the mode to work on D32?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
please forgive my ignorance grunz but what mode would it be running on in the above video?
yes i can run the car as a carrera car on D132 firmware, so it is like a native carrera car in this set up.

i have since explored a little further and i noticed that if i press and hold the down arrow on the controller before the lane changer, with the cerrera lane changer button pressed, the car doesnt change lanes! its like it is backwards!

i would assume it wont run on the latest firmware because it will not register yes. i have to run the car on a mid 2020 update, 0306 and it runs like this
EDIT: to run it as a carrera car i have to use old firmware also. it will not run on the latest update

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
Thanks for the video. I believe the issue is with the LC LED mode. The chip defaults to Hybrid (SSD/O2) mode, I believe. To work properly on a D132 track, it needs to be changed to D132 mode, which can only be done for old firmware by using the bootloader on a PC with the oXigen dongle, or with new firmware on the slot.it app. If you can get the latest firmware on the chip using nRF Toolbox, keep trying the registration process. Once you get it registered, you'll be able to change to D132 mode and it should work properly.

Hopefully you can get an Android device to use, as this will solve this temporary problem. It would seem the sticking point is getting the chip registered, so I know that slot.it will be interested in resolving that ASAP.

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
Just to clarify, before the C chip was introduced, oXigen chips were able to work on carrera tracks (LC and S/F line for ids below 7) as long as you put the chip in D132 mode through the bootloader using the oXigen dongle.
This mode is not the Carrera native mode that is currently supported by the C1 chip when you download the carrera firmware. Carrera native meaning you can use a standard carrera controller on a standard carrera track and be able to control the car like it had a standard carrera chip.
I am not sure what you are after, but if you are serious about oXigen you would need to invest in a dongle and put magnets under the track.
As Mr Flippant said, keep trying with the app to register the device.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
so once the chips were registered i could see what mode they were in and as greg suggested they were in O2/SSD. which makes sense because that is the track we race on. he is a clever man!
so that means the mode can only be changed through the app even though the manual says you can do it by having the brake dial turned to a certain point and then pushing a few buttons on the controller.
so i changed to D132 and it was all good. interesting that one of my cars now doesnt like having an ID under 4. the reception is not strong so the controller needs to be right next to the car to work. but i tried 4 and 7 and it was fine so i just use them.
now i have both D132 and O2 latest firmware available for the chip depending on which one i want to use at the time.
to be fair, the D132 i will probably never use. i just wanted to see if it worked. i will run my cars with my O2 set up so the carrera cars can use the other ports.
i have yet to test it on a higher ID, like 15, but i need to get some magnets first. so at the moment the O2 cars dont register across the finish line.

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
The mode change with controller, as described in the manual, I think has been gone for a while.
Maybe the manual needs to be updated.
The thing with carrera and oXigen is that you need the carrera powerbase always connected with the lane changers.
One of the first mods I did was to have the lane changers connected directly to the Black Box via a separate power bus and so I could use my variable power supply for powering the rails.
But there was always the issue of the LC sensors that are off-set. Given that I was never going to use the carrera system I decided to change all my carrera lane changers to oXigen with the oXigen drivers. The other big factor that pushed me more towards this move was also that RCSO2 was available and caters for most of the needs I have from an RMS. There are still some issues with the RMS and some development but what we have right now is really good for racing right now.
Anyway, it really depends where you want to go from here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so we digress a little.... i am in the new learning phase. i actually plan to use this carrera track as a basis for a small club type set up but wanted to tick one box at a time. the first one was exploring how oxigen might work with carrera since i have an oxigen car and controller for the place i have been playing.
now that that seems to be ok i move on to the timing. i was thinking something like smartrace to start off for simplicity. and explore from there. i ahve gotten a variable voltage power supply to do as you suggested for the LC and many cars at a later date.
at this point the track can only be moderate as that is all i can allow in my bicycle shop, 4.5x2.5m area. more than enough to have some fun and see if we can get some people invovled. currently nothing exists for a 50km radius of us.

i did have to relocate my chips in my cars because of the different position of the sensors, then drill a small hole in the chassis. that all worked out fine. i will use this early phase to work out all the little nuances as we work out a system that works for us.

i have the option to develop a retail sector also so that influences this too.

and maybe a commercial wooden track at some point. it really is a fresh start here. nothing happening and very little history.

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
I think experimenting is a good thing. From the sound of it you seems going in the direction of sticking with the Carrera system (eg, smartracer).
I thought that you were based in Singapore: I think there is a shop that has a scalex track for oxigen racing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep intrigg hobbies. On my way there now to race! Just visiting here, based in Brunei. Originally from down unda!

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
Nice! When we will be able to travel, I want to visit Intrigg.
Enjoy the racing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts