SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought one of the Argos 'special' Carrera Le Mans kits along with a few other people on here I guess. I have only used the cars the track is still in the box. I am currently running on scalextric sport track 3 but have swapped out the poxy crossover corners.
Now I am a little new to all this so I have a few questions:

1a.b.c.d...) When compared to my other cars (std scalextric F1 + Ninco M3) the pickup seems really slow ? I guess this is the way it is geared ??? Does it go quicker on longer circuits ? Is there anything I can change ? or should I ?

2) The moveable magnet in the chassis drastically alters the cars handling. Don't suppose someone could briefly explain why this happens ?

Now the second I finish sorting out the flooring in the loft my kit has a permanent home
and the track WILL be growing (although the mrs doesn't know yet
) So should I leave the cars as they are or should I take it back to Argos any buy another Ninco/Fly/SCX car ?????

Please excuse my naivety.......

Lee

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Leef, welcome to the board. I can't really help you with definitive answers offer this.

Pick up? Maybe the Carrera power pack doesn't deliver much in the way of juice - I too bought the set but have thrown away the power pack and flogged the track and Audi since I only wanted the Bentley so I can't check what output it has.

Also, maybe the combined effect of the two magnets is sapping the motor, which could be on reduced rations (see above).

The idea of the movable mugnut is that it does just what you are finding: changes the car's handling characteristics; set up forward it is further from the rails, so has less effect; set back it is lower and has more of a pull. I've removed the rearmost magnet and depending upon how the car reacts to out bumpy track may remove the other one too.

Thirty notes for two cars is pretty good value. I'd stick.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
keep the cars, their mint! and the track and the controllers and the power.

bentley should beat challenger heh heh heh

magnet, gives grip where it is placed, at the front, grip at front but less at rear and visa versa!

Rob.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Sooooo many questions

I think I'll have a go at question 1......

It's a fact that the weakest link of ANY of the slot car sets that you can buy, is not the cars, nor the track, but the powersupply and control system.

There's nothing wrong with the Carrera cars that you have, they are capable of tremendous speed
They just need more current (amps, NOT volts!) than the typical weedy set powersupplies can manage. The PSUs in the carrera set are much better than the Scalex ones incidentally. As an experiment, set up the carrera figure of eight set and take your cars for a run around it, the Carrera will run MUCH better with the slightly higher current.

s'all I can think of for now.... I'll be back (possibly) after I have had a little lie down...

-Rob

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi Lee,

Regarding your first question about pickup, you identified the source in one.

The slow pickup is due to the gearing as you rightly stated - this is a characteristic of Carrera cars and yes, i'd imagine you do need a long straight for the car to 'max out' and attain maximum speed.

Wankel kindly answered the second part, with reference to changing magnet setups -which affects the handling/speed of the cars.

Got to say, in the end I returned my set - just not my cup of tea, opted for a couple of Fly cars.

Jamie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts