SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
westbys,
Well said. If you have had 5 ghost cars on the standard supply, then I have no doubt a track could have on the order of 10-12 ghost cars with aftermarket power and proper power taps. Ghost cars consumer very little power when cruising the track.

Based on acceleration tests with four Pro-X cars coded to the same channel and held against the track (grunting under load), they consumed about 6-7 amps. The black box did not complain. (Aside: In shorting tests where I was testing the robustness of the black box, I held a keyring across the rails, the amps shot up to 10Amps before shorting. I was using the 10amp outputs of the power supply, so it must be fuse protected. My guess is that 8Amps is probably the safe maximum instantaneous current draw )

I think it would be very reasonable to run four user cars with four ghost cars. However, with that much traffic, the track would need to be very large. For modelling demos, 10-12 ghost cars is reasonable.

The black box currently supports 4 user cars. Its not possible to have more than one black box, so if someone hacks the system for more user cars, they would probably have to borrow the pace car and ghost car channels for user data. Of course carrera could release a new black box if they felt more user cars was desirable. Despite the scx system offering six, the Germans thought four was enough. At this point I agree with them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thats correct, four drivers. While a four lane digitla track is possible, I dont think it would be desirable. One of the big advantages of digital is the abilty to run 2lane tracks. In a given amount of space you can fit alot more driving challenges and greater lane length.

Get four cars running on two lanes an then decide if you need more cars and lanes. If you have six friends youve got four drivers and two marshalls. You can rotate out a driver every 5 minutes. NOTHING beats driving with marshalls.

Im not entirely sure of how the pace car works. Apparently it will pull into the pit lane and stop. Its probably programmed to take every LC so when it gets to the pitlane it will pull in. Im guessing thats how it works but am not sure how it stops. Pitlane will be released shortly so we will see how this works.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are 8 separate channels transmitted by the base.

Using ghost cars does not interfere with user cars so theoretically you could have four user cars and multiple ghostcars of each speed switching lanes independently.

While ghost cars of the same speed may share the same channel, they change lanes independently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.