SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
5,158 Posts
interesting post peter

on point 2) - scx and scaley lemans starts will be useable on the scaley digital system

As for pit lanes, we may have to wait for the world and digital systems to be linked. Then we can have that fuel-weight compensation tactics built in, and an enforced speed limit on the pit lane. Unsure what carrera are doing on these possibilities of digital

Love the 2 lanes become 4 lanes for certain sections idea

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Well done Thomas in filling us in. As I and others pointed out the presentation at Toyfair of Carrera was poor at times. I`m looking forward to reading more from Nuremburg.

Tropi, Carerra have managed a decent car that even I can drive? Yes the Jag is better but the F! Ferrari, recently released is an example of being disappointed in yet another Carerra release. Thomas can tweak em good, I can`t and expect that many think a car shpould run straight out of the box.

· Allan Wakefield
6,720 Posts
Jonny s, thomas does not tweak his Carrera cars, he simply removes the magnets and runs them as they are, many in Germany do this apparently.

Carrera Digital was a big disapointment for me with its many apparent restrictions (4 car limit and backwards compatible). Thomas got this further info from them about the guide being retro fitted to many older cars ( but have you seen the Size of this new digital guide???) and the restriction to numbers being down to power supply. However the big question that jumps tp my mind is WHY? why have these limits in place and the info to the contrary so hidden, it certainly isn't open knowledge.
Both the Carrera and Scalextric digital systems have a sort of 'pace' or 'ghost' car facility but by Carreras own admission theirs is little more than a kids aid and no way near accurate enough to race with seriously.

For me the whole issue of Digital is that of a three way race (DAVIC aside though now sold and almost available, through DS in Spain) in which there is a clear winner. That said even the Scalextric one isn't perfect and it makes one wonder why they all released stuff before it was finished?

Astro - there are currently no plans by Scalextric to link Digital and World Sport.
As for 4 lanes with a two lane digital - well I got some easy to do pointers from Scalextric at the German Fair on how to do just that
more later.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Genuine question,having also raced in Germany ( 18 years I lived there) Thomas is that true or are you holding out on me cos I`ve tried changing the guide and never race with magnets and the cars back ends fish tails down our track?

· Registered
5,158 Posts
QUOTE why they all released stuff before it was finished?

apart from this methodology being a sign of the times, pioneered by microsoft...

The SCX already looked like a finished product, although maybe not the system a lot of slot-forumers wanted. And SCX intelligently released mark 1 to a limited market to road test, with plans to revise and modify a mark 2 version for worldwide release.

Neither Carrera or Scalextric have been released yet, so software and hardware and production issues still have time to be resolved. I do not know Carreras market share in germany/europe compared to UK, but maybe they feel its important to have their product on the shelves before scalextric, definitely an advantage.

They certainly weren't pushing Carrera too hard in UK, but to seriously break a new country would take a massive marketing campaign, kinda all or nothing attitude I guess. The German guy at the london toy fair described Carrera as the Rolls Royce of the slot world, so maybe they are just enjoying their exclusivity... or just spinning the highish price and low market penetration

· Registered
778 Posts
@ jonny - just removing the mag and trueing the tires - sometimes a little weight - that's all!
In general about digital systems - all 3 big shots feard to lose market shares if they don't show that they are capable to produce digital slotcars. Hornby and Carrera have a little more funds than SCX and they looked for a proper working solution - which is very similar from both of them! the huge guide is necessary for the lapcounting of Carrera - but there are also alternatives possible!
restrection to 4 cars from Carrera - mainly power supply and relating costs of a set - and they also thought, that 4 cars on a 2-lane-track are enough! these sets are thought as toys for younger and older kids - and not for club-tracks! A club-track is the right playground for Davic and neither for Carrera nor for Scalextric!
A ghost-car might be realized with RMS from Carrera and the pacer from scalextric - both know how to do - but Carrera planned a pace-car which is driving slower as a hazard on the road, changing lanes! - and not to race agains so that 2 racers have more fun!
Wait till they tell us that their product is finalized and we'll judge then - it's to early now I fear - except for SCX - that stuff is scr**!!!

· Allan Wakefield
6,720 Posts
According to some in Germany (and elsewhere I am sure
) if you are sliding at all you aint driving right mate!
so get some lessons

Astro you are right, I forgot that although previewed, both Scaley and Carrera are not released - apologies to them both! I hope all the issues are solved before then.

As for Carrera in London - well they were not too pleased in Germany to hear how badly their Company was promoted at ExCel so maybe it was just a duff show for them.
As for Carrera being the Rolls Royce of the Slot world - I think it is a compliment to me as an Englishman that Carrera compare themselves to the Best of British as a sign of quality!
I also think I agree because Rolls Royce have never been serious about competive racing either have they?

Ahem.. I'll go get me coat.....

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Swiss I reckon I`ll wait until we meet then I`ll be happy to take a lesson or two and if a Carerra car out performs what I use I`ll more than happily use it mate
Don`t you smile at me Thomas! Same challenge to you too my friend

· Registered
778 Posts
...better you do now! Blaming Carrera about that comparison...

It's been the first toy-fair Nikko did in London without support from Carrera - and maybe the last one! About competing with Carrera - it's excellent for kids because they are solid - but needs rework to compete with other cars if raced in clubs. I know some guys racing their Carrera-Bentleys against Fly and Ninco - not winnig, but in the midfield. In the future, Carrera plans to produce thinner, lighter bodies - and cars in general. Wait and see....

· Registered
1,889 Posts
I quite like the new Roller. A brute of a car. OUT OF MY WAY,PEASANT!!
See, we're all different aren't we?
I like some of the Carrera cars too - especially cheap LeMans Audis and Bentleys
I have some of their street rods to go cruising with too, and sometimes the satin black Dodge Charger runs moonshine across the border

Mark.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I think we are def different, after all you like buses and I like tanks!! I reckon they based ther new Roller on `Thunderbirds` that pink one with Parker driving, of course you`d like the Machine guns fitted too eh

· Registered
778 Posts
...carrera-cars need a smoother way of driving - that's all! Remember the old times you had no brakes at your Scalex-set? Drive similia to that - but keep you speed and you're fast on the track! That's all. And I prefer this for cars - if you're driving a tank - that has to stop when you drop the anchor

An Jonny - about the tv-towers - in that case I've to try to stop at phoenix when I'm in UK...

· Registered
1,889 Posts
I'll have to try removing the magnets on my carrera cars

Johnny, I love tanks, but I've only ever driven an FV432 (just a box on tracks
) Still a good crack though!

The reason for the bus avatar is that it takes less time to load than the 2.8i capri from the same site and the fact that alfa drew my attention thanks to my 6x4 converted toy bus

Mark.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.