SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
After reading the article, I want it a little less.

The only way I could see digital working out is if you forced the competition to take driving test to see if they can avoid shunts and then agreeing upon a penalty.

· Registered
523 Posts
My digital nascar set is in the box STARING at me to take it out! I now have 120' of track, but promised I would build it a proper table before unleashing the madness!

I have two extra LCs on order and would like to talk circuit design with those who have sets already running.

I think we need to develop a vocabulary for discusssing LC placement.

For instance:

* a 4LC track would be L-R-L-R, L-L-R-R, L-R-R-R or any combination.

* Tracks will be either equal length (odd bridge) or non equal length ( even bridge). It is not clear which is better. Maybe its best to have a "fast" lane.

* LC density? is it best to have high LC density or should they be strategically spaced? Opinions?

* Use of standard crossovers in conjunction ith LCs.

*Should LCs divide symmetrical sections (ie after a Left-Right turn) so that travel distance of both lanes is the same, or should LCs be used so that they can chooe a shorter racing line?

*Total track length? Longer may not be better. Or, it may be necessary to avoid demolition derby with higher car density.

I also want to discuss rules for digital, does it need arbitration, etc. etc, etc.

I think digital will replace analog.

· Registered
523 Posts
Are carrera sales successful in Europe? In the USA, Im not sure if kids even know what slotracing is. The old fogeys seem disinterested.

I think it needs a computer based timing/scoring system. Also the potential for computer control of many race elements has been untapped. Enforced pit stops, etc.

They must have something in mind! They are advertizing the pit lane and it surely must be more than for looks.

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (ruhdwulf @ 25 Oct 2004, 18:00)Interesting that Jamie and friends found that they rapidly adapted to digital racing and that they enjoyed the new element of tactical racing.

Jamie's point that he would " be happy to race on either Digital or Standard in the future, both are great fun in there own right" is telling, I think.

After having read through all of the posts, I agree that Digital will appeal, as has been noted, to the Crash-and-Bash type of racer... but also to a newer, more sophisticated type of racer. There are plenty of set-ups in analog racing to appeal to the Crash market. Nothing new here. Lane change currently exists... in the past it has just been that the racer had no control over it.

However, taking more control of the car will, I think, be appealing. It will produce a more precise kind of racing and add new tactical levels to entertain racers. Crashes occur in analog and they result, primarily, from the level of experience. As people get more experience, they crash less often. I would expect the same with Digital. More experience, more control, more fun, fewer crashes. And, an environment that more nearly replicates real racing.

I suspect, too, that some sort of general code or rules will evolve to accommodate digital racing, just as they have in analog racing to accommodate the peculiarities of that venue. (For example, everyone must run an equal number of laps in each available lane to equalize the lane advantages.)

I believe that I will go digital in the near future... and maintain an option to also race in analog fashion when it suits me. None of these are mutually exclusive. And it will mean that I can get more people involved on a two-lane track.. and share the fun. Fun is what it is about.

Mike
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said. I concur on all these points. A code of conduct will develop and may vary from group to group. I have already penciled a list.

I have a group of friends that are of the "nintendo generation" and have had limited exposure to scale model racing, beyond RC cars. I am sure this will be much more appealing than standard slots and it doesnt matter to them that analog cars are not compatible with Carrera pro-x. Incompatibilty is something we accept in the digital generation.

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (ruhdwulf @ 25 Oct 2004, 19:34)QUOTE A code of conduct will develop and may vary from group to group. I have already penciled a list.

I have a group of friends that are of the "nintendo generation" and have had limited exposure to scale model racing, beyond RC cars. I am sure this will be much more appealing than standard slots and it doesnt matter to them that analog cars are not compatible with Carrera pro-x. Incompatibilty is something we accept in the digital generation.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Already, Scalextric has had the foresight to provide a way to run almost any car in their system.

Mike
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scalectric has been "smart" enough to advertize that cars can be fitted with a chip and run on digital layouts. The same is true of carrera digital, although there are not advertized plans to sell digital chips. I assume they would rather sell you entire cars as right now, they are the only game in town. I suspect in the future they will sell decoder chips and lift the artificially imposed 4-car limit.

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (Crazy-Chris @ 25 Oct 2004, 19:42)QUOTE (darainbow @ 25 Oct 2004, 19:39)... and lift the artificially imposed 4-car limit.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not think so, because the 4-car limit is caused by power supply restrictions and not by digital reasons.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scalectric and SCX systems accept 6 cars. Granted, reports are that 6 cars really taxes the power system and driving is impaired. But with aftermarket power system, there must be a way to "unlock" additional channels.

The cars have four dip switches (16 combinations) but there are only 6 advertized functions which could be done with 3 dip switches. I believe they have already designed the cars to receive on 16 channels. If you could get the base unit to send on other channels, or wire the ghost car channels to accept input, then you already have more cars.

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 26 Oct 2004, 21:17)darainbow, have you heard something from some-one who works in carrera? or is this just wild wishful thinking (based on the fact they have used a 4 switch dip switch)?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, its wishful (insightful) thinking.

They would not put 4 dip switches if they could accomplish the same with 3.

We know the cars can receive on 8 channels already. There may be additional unused channels (likely) or existing channels could be reused, say by borrowing one of the ghost car channels for a controller. Both would take some tinkering and/or programming, but I'd take a bet the hardware is already capable.

Re: 3 Amp maximum. That is the recommended maximum. Additional amps will not necessarily fry it.

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 26 Oct 2004, 22:13)there is a chance that they chose a 4 switch dip-switch because you can only get them in 4 and 8 switch configurations (or at least those are the most common and probably cheapest versions)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But if the part you are using has 16 selections, why not make use of them?

· Registered
523 Posts
NO!

I bought and tried the Pro-X and Im surprised no one told me it does not have dynamic braking! The system works great in every other way but without braking it is a POS.

If they dont add braking some time in the future I will sell off all the pro-x garbage.

· Registered
523 Posts
Yeah, buying a slot system without brakes is like buying a car without brakes!

The lack of brakes may not be bad on the oval when simulating nascar, but on a road course it is completely inadequate.

I have been a big proponent of Pro-X but would advise anyone AGAINST buying it unless they are only looking to simulate a nascar oval.

The rest of the system works as advertized, but the lack of brakes makes me wonder if this was intended as anything more than a toy. Maybe they couldnt get it to market on time and will add it in a future release. If they add dynamic braking then it will be an excellent system with alot of promise. As it sits now, it is garbage IMO.

I'm not sure I would recommend the scalectric system either because of its curved switching system, but at least they have added braking (I think). There are reports that the sclectric braking does not work as expected either -- its either on or off. Maybe digital technolgy cannot support braking as we know it???!

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (RacingWolf @ 2 Dec 2004, 00:14)QUOTE (pupkick @ 8 Sep 2004, 09:24)HomeRacingWorld has a review on the Carrera Pro-X set. Well written view with some good info (some of it we've seen before).

Thanks Harry!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My personal opinion of the pro-x review from Harry on HomeRacingWorld is that it does not reflect well on Harry's ability to impart what is of interest and importance to the long term slot enthusiast. And probably highlights his personal bias more than informing the potential purchaser. I base this mainly on the content of posts from darainbow and from a comparison of the reviews on pro-x and sport digital. darainbow has informed us that pro-x does not implement dynamic braking, I honestly don't know if this is true or not. But the sport digital review from Harry makes a big fuss about dynamic braking even stating, "As important as braking has been identified in our hobby, ...". But the pro-x review is completely silent on this most important issue. As the future recipient of a pro-x system which is still in the mail and from one who had planned on integrating pro-x into a road course layout based on the glowing review (and an email response from Harry contradicting darainbow's assertion on the lack of dynamic braking) from Harry via HomeRacingWorld I am now very concerned on whether or not I've thrown some $'s to a lost cause.

While I'm at it I also think that the video reviews are an insidiuos waste of time, they impart no meaningfull information upon which one can base an informed buying decision.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cancel your order if it has not shipped yet. Reverse the charge. You can get it from ebay overnight shipping if you so desire.

I am upset about that review too. If i had known there were no brakes I would have not ordered.

OTH, in the nascar oval setup, the lack of brakes is not an issue. I tried it in the basic set configuration and it is alot of fun, especially with the ghost cars. I think if you plan to build a track with wide turns and LONG straights it will work. People haved claimed that carrera claims they are working on adding braking. . . With braking I would have no complaints.

I think the issue with both systems is that issues are still being hammered out. The scalectric system has problems too.

· Registered
523 Posts
Great! I'm saving a place next to my long straight for the pit row.

I also would like to have a dedicated run off for the pace car. Do you have any information on how the pace car works? I would like to have a single off so that the car can pull off the main track and drive into a garage and disappear from sight.

I hink using a pace car to start a race will be a HUGE eye opener to traditional slot racers f what digital can bring.

BTW, how do you know this stuff?

· Registered
523 Posts
Roalnd,
This all sounds good. I would like the option to extend the lapcounting to 2, 3, or 4 lanes. Perhaps the abilty to count a lap if a car also goes through a parallel pitstop. I think 3 lanes in a practical maximum and can be accomplished with offset construction and using the outside lane as a border or pitlane.

Each software will handle pitstops and fuelling differntly and this is unlikely to be integrated with car control from black box. Perhaps you should provide an entry an exist sensor to pitlane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.