SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

· Registered
778 Posts
...yes, cou can run both types on the same track - with slight modifications of the terminal track and the switches! No waste of investment!

Just take care with the switches - no switch direct after a K1, lenght of a switch is 2 standard straights...

· Registered
211 Posts
Thomas that is GREAT news

I will now look at my propsed track design (I just posted this in the tracks section) to see how the changeovers might fit.

I am also keen to have a working pitlane for fuel strategies (endurance racing) and will have to plan for this - looking at the catalogue am I right in guessing this is 3 standard straights long ?

Do I assume by K1 you mean a radius one turn ?

Thanks

.. Rob

· Registered
523 Posts
My digital nascar set is in the box STARING at me to take it out! I now have 120' of track, but promised I would build it a proper table before unleashing the madness!

I have two extra LCs on order and would like to talk circuit design with those who have sets already running.

I think we need to develop a vocabulary for discusssing LC placement.

For instance:

* a 4LC track would be L-R-L-R, L-L-R-R, L-R-R-R or any combination.

* Tracks will be either equal length (odd bridge) or non equal length ( even bridge). It is not clear which is better. Maybe its best to have a "fast" lane.

* LC density? is it best to have high LC density or should they be strategically spaced? Opinions?

* Use of standard crossovers in conjunction ith LCs.

*Should LCs divide symmetrical sections (ie after a Left-Right turn) so that travel distance of both lanes is the same, or should LCs be used so that they can chooe a shorter racing line?

*Total track length? Longer may not be better. Or, it may be necessary to avoid demolition derby with higher car density.

I also want to discuss rules for digital, does it need arbitration, etc. etc, etc.

I think digital will replace analog.

· Registered
12 Posts
@thomas

hmm.. scalelectrics... i have see 2-3 great models...

the most cars that i want to have are fro Fly or TeamSlot...

Can i buy a digital carrera Chassis and put the fly or team slot Body without all to big modifications??

don

· Registered
12 Posts
what will be great when you can do that thomas...

I have ordered the digital Set with the 2 Formula 1 Cars.. but i have to wait until end of october because the set is sold off..

other question... do you have expirience with the PC unit for the Carrera Digital Set?? i have see that with this set you can programm your cars over the PC/Notebook and at the same time its also a digital Time monitoring for the race..

Don

· Registered
778 Posts
DonVito, AFAIK the Carrera RMS (PC-unit) is not compatible with Carrera ProX (the digital set) - all the programming of the PC-unit refers to the behaviour of the controller for a standard car! You can set up different curves like with the Ninco Vario16-controller - or the out-of-production Carrera VarioX - but NOT for digital cars!

· Registered
12 Posts

what for a ****e.....
I thought that was for the digital...

do you know if something similar is planned from carrera??
i ask you because i am an IT-Man, so i'm very interested of a connection with a Notebook/PC

It was great when i can administrate the Race over my Notebook.. (Time, safety car sessions, ghost cars, ecc..)

don

· Registered
778 Posts
Ciao DonVito,

a connection for a laptop/pc is not known up to today - but an USB-port would make sense and a protocol to implement data transfer from the timer to the USB-port should be no big problem. Let's wait and see what capabilities the timing-system has. Fur shure there will be more add-ons for ProX if the sales are successfully - there are some nice thoughts araund...

· Registered
523 Posts
Are carrera sales successful in Europe? In the USA, Im not sure if kids even know what slotracing is. The old fogeys seem disinterested.

I think it needs a computer based timing/scoring system. Also the potential for computer control of many race elements has been untapped. Enforced pit stops, etc.

They must have something in mind! They are advertizing the pit lane and it surely must be more than for looks.

· Registered
778 Posts
...actually in most countries Carrera ProX ist sold out in the shops at the moment! Seems to become the success which is necessary to develop further products for the digital system - but sales have to continue.

· Registered
321 Posts
Interesting that Jamie and friends found that they rapidly adapted to digital racing and that they enjoyed the new element of tactical racing.

Jamie's point that he would " be happy to race on either Digital or Standard in the future, both are great fun in there own right" is telling, I think.

After having read through all of the posts, I agree that Digital will appeal, as has been noted, to the Crash-and-Bash type of racer... but also to a newer, more sophisticated type of racer. There are plenty of set-ups in analog racing to appeal to the Crash market. Nothing new here. Lane change currently exists... in the past it has just been that the racer had no control over it.

However, taking more control of the car will, I think, be appealing. It will produce a more precise kind of racing and add new tactical levels to entertain racers. Crashes occur in analog and they result, primarily, from the level of experience. As people get more experience, they crash less often. I would expect the same with Digital. More experience, more control, more fun, fewer crashes. And, an environment that more nearly replicates real racing.

I suspect, too, that some sort of general code or rules will evolve to accommodate digital racing, just as they have in analog racing to accommodate the peculiarities of that venue. (For example, everyone must run an equal number of laps in each available lane to equalize the lane advantages.)

I believe that I will go digital in the near future... and maintain an option to also race in analog fashion when it suits me. None of these are mutually exclusive. And it will mean that I can get more people involved on a two-lane track.. and share the fun. Fun is what it is about.

Mike

41 - 60 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.