SlotForum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

· Registered
523 Posts
QUOTE (RacingWolf @ 2 Dec 2004, 00:14)QUOTE (pupkick @ 8 Sep 2004, 09:24)HomeRacingWorld has a review on the Carrera Pro-X set. Well written view with some good info (some of it we've seen before).

Thanks Harry!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My personal opinion of the pro-x review from Harry on HomeRacingWorld is that it does not reflect well on Harry's ability to impart what is of interest and importance to the long term slot enthusiast. And probably highlights his personal bias more than informing the potential purchaser. I base this mainly on the content of posts from darainbow and from a comparison of the reviews on pro-x and sport digital. darainbow has informed us that pro-x does not implement dynamic braking, I honestly don't know if this is true or not. But the sport digital review from Harry makes a big fuss about dynamic braking even stating, "As important as braking has been identified in our hobby, ...". But the pro-x review is completely silent on this most important issue. As the future recipient of a pro-x system which is still in the mail and from one who had planned on integrating pro-x into a road course layout based on the glowing review (and an email response from Harry contradicting darainbow's assertion on the lack of dynamic braking) from Harry via HomeRacingWorld I am now very concerned on whether or not I've thrown some $'s to a lost cause.

While I'm at it I also think that the video reviews are an insidiuos waste of time, they impart no meaningfull information upon which one can base an informed buying decision.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cancel your order if it has not shipped yet. Reverse the charge. You can get it from ebay overnight shipping if you so desire.

I am upset about that review too. If i had known there were no brakes I would have not ordered.

OTH, in the nascar oval setup, the lack of brakes is not an issue. I tried it in the basic set configuration and it is alot of fun, especially with the ghost cars. I think if you plan to build a track with wide turns and LONG straights it will work. People haved claimed that carrera claims they are working on adding braking. . . With braking I would have no complaints.

I think the issue with both systems is that issues are still being hammered out. The scalectric system has problems too.

· Registered
5,158 Posts
The main worry of Carrera brakes is if it is a software issue, or if it means that you will need new car chips and new black box. Will this be a free upgrade to early adopters? Or will this be Carrera Pro-Y, sell Pro-X and buy the new system?

· Registered
778 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 2 Dec 2004, 02:09)The main worry of Carrera brakes is if it is a software issue, or if it means that you will need new car chips and new black box. Will this be a free upgrade to early adopters? Or will this be Carrera Pro-Y, sell Pro-X and buy the new system?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Astro, Carrera is known for excellent customer service - so don't worry. there have been some upgrade-actions with the Carrera-RMS in the past - change of hardware free of charge! And the used software is under constant development - -adding new feautures and improvements - free downloads available!
About the brakes - AFAIK it's a missing feauture of the blackbox which will be added. The laptimer-problem is not a big issue - but the pre-production laptimer did not work with Voltages below 12V - and as this might be added for the kids to have slower cars (like SCX) it's the reason to delay the laptimer and to release a new, better one a little later. I still have fun with my pro-X - even without the brakes but with mags

· Registered
778 Posts
...yes, you're right! But the pitlane will also be released in february 2005 AFAIK - but working prototypes are around - and promising fun! Feauturing a randomly leaving pacecar, refuelling and other nice things... tactical racing, as only one car can enter the pitlane - if you're low on fuel, your car is slowing down and if there is an other car in the pitlane refuelling, you've to do an other lap with low speed or wait in front of the pitlane...
I'll keep you informed - as usual

· Registered
523 Posts
Great! I'm saving a place next to my long straight for the pit row.

I also would like to have a dedicated run off for the pace car. Do you have any information on how the pace car works? I would like to have a single off so that the car can pull off the main track and drive into a garage and disappear from sight.

I hink using a pace car to start a race will be a HUGE eye opener to traditional slot racers f what digital can bring.

BTW, how do you know this stuff?

· Registered
101 Posts
Thomas or Crazy Chris!
Does Carrera already release RMS hardware upgrade? I only notice upgraded RMS software? Do you know if they are planning to release RMS software also in English?
How about connecting ProX lap couter to PC? Any planes about this (much bigger display)?
BTW: Thomas how you convert Suzuka to digital? It was possible to change all four lines or you put LC in 1-2 line and 3-4 line and these lines were independent?
Thanks,
Matevz

· Registered
607 Posts
QUOTE (FacPrime @ 2 Dec 2004, 08:38)Thomas or Crazy Chris!
Does Carrera already release RMS hardware upgrade? I only notice upgraded RMS software?
Main Unit Firmware Version 2.05 is available.

QUOTE Do you know if they are planning to release RMS software also in English?
Don't know anything about this, but I don't think so.

QUOTE How about connecting ProX lap couter to PC? Any planes about this (much bigger display)?
Same as above, I don't think so.

· Registered
778 Posts
QUOTE (FacPrime @ 2 Dec 2004, 08:38)Thomas or Crazy Chris!
Does Carrera already release RMS hardware upgrade? I only notice upgraded RMS software? Do you know if they are planning to release RMS software also in English?
How about connecting ProX lap couter to PC? Any planes about this (much bigger display)?
BTW: Thomas how you convert Suzuka to digital? It was possible to change all four lines or you put LC in 1-2 line and 3-4 line and these lines were independent?
Thanks,
Matevz
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...tested it with all 4 lanes! Worked! But as long as there is no lapcounting available, the track will be without digital.

· Registered
52 Posts
Hallo.

I´m planning a electronic circuit for computer lapcounting with Carrera ProX.

This circuit will be compatible with most lapcounting software! And with RaceControl-Hardware (other timing-hardware could connect with little changes).

To create a signal for the cars when they cross the starting line is not the problem.

But I´m thinking about the fuel-option:
With the Carrera pitlane its possible to fuel one car, because it´s only one pitlane.
When one car is fueling, no other car can pass the car in front.

And when you have a nice pitlane building....where will the fuel-point be placed?
In front of each box? This is practible in the circuit (it will be dearer) but makes this complexity sense?

The basic circuit will be lapcounting with two lanes and one point to fuel!
But it will be a technical problem to expand this 2lane circuit to 4lane lapcounting or more fuel-points!

What is your opinion? What´s the best reason?

And one question:
When the Carrera pitlane is available, is it possible to mount the Carrera lapcounter in the speedlane parallel to the pitlane. The question is: when you fuel, will be this lap in the pit count?
Or must the lapcounter placed in front or behind the pitlane?

Tschau, Roland.

PS: The circuit will only work with Carrera Pro-X. Not with Scalextric or SCX! And it needs time!
When it´s work - a circuit board will be available!

· Registered
523 Posts
Roalnd,
This all sounds good. I would like the option to extend the lapcounting to 2, 3, or 4 lanes. Perhaps the abilty to count a lap if a car also goes through a parallel pitstop. I think 3 lanes in a practical maximum and can be accomplished with offset construction and using the outside lane as a border or pitlane.

Each software will handle pitstops and fuelling differntly and this is unlikely to be integrated with car control from black box. Perhaps you should provide an entry an exist sensor to pitlane.

· Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (darainbow @ 26 Oct 2004, 16:15)QUOTE (astro @ 26 Oct 2004, 22:13)there is a chance that they chose a 4 switch dip-switch because you can only get them in 4 and 8 switch configurations (or at least those are the most common and probably cheapest versions)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But if the part you are using has 16 selections, why not make use of them?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Normally you would expect 4 binary bits to provide for a selection of 16 options. But if you look closely at the "programming" of the dip switch settings it appears that the 3rd switch from the left is dedicated to enable/disable the ghost car (pace car) function.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.