SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is OK to post in news!
No vested interest but just thought I would let people know Carrera sets at well known catalogue retailer Argos in UK are on offer at half price now. £29.99 for figure of 8 circuit with Bentley and Audi. Not a bad deal. I expect to see some on ebay I guess next week!

CB

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
oooo thats worth it just 4 the cars! I guess the bently has the old chassis - how much difference is there with the new chassis?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks for the info. It does sound like Ebay fodder if nothing else.

Argos supply the Xmas market and it is very clear how the Argos customer has reacted to this item in the catalogue. I suspect other stockists who took the gamble on a good "Carrera deal" are also going to be left with stock on their hands. How is "UK Jonny" going to react on Xmas day when he takes the wrap off the box and discovers it is not a "Scalextric"?

Remember that recently this same Argos had the confidence in Scalextric to use their product in a major TV advertising campaign.

And then as it is a figure of 8 layout it will be imperative to use the Carrera track clips which for the typical UK carpet racer and temporary circuits is not ideal. And then there are those "barriers" which have been described by others as "scrap".

For the dad of "UK Jonny" on Xmas day it could well become a knightmare. I know how some of you feel here about Carrera track but lets get real. For somebody who has the space and the room for a permanent layout fine. But for those in the UK with limited space (most of us?) and a temporary home for our track the benefits of Carrera track do not outweigh the disadvantages.

The sooner Carrera realise this and introduce a Scalextric track convertor, decent barriers, and track that does not require track clips the better. Do not be too proud Carrera to realise that this is was you need to do and sharpish! The fact is they won't do it.

Cheers
Moped

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
QUOTE How is "UK Jonny" going to react on Xmas day when he takes the wrap off the box and discovers it is not a "Scalextric"?

Good God. For once I agree with him. Kids may well be cheesed at finding this unknown under their tree this Xmas - to the great unwashed Carrera is an unknown, it's just us sad acts that know all the names.

Still, as an intro to Carrera track £30 is nothing. I know I'm tempted because sooo much is said about it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The original post was generously proferred to direct readers to a remarkable bargain, not to prompt another Carrera character assassination by the usual suspect.

It IS a remarkable bargain.
Nevertheless, I can agree with SOME of Moped's post above. Sadly, as usual, it oozes so much blatant bias and blindness that it negates any possible merit that it might contain.

Certainly, Carrera track needs more space for a given layout than the equivalent by other makers. Now let's provide some desperately needed balance. It IS only a small figure 8 and it is a reasonable assumption that the buyer CAN read the space requirement on the box AND calculate whether he has room for it. This applies to ANY manufacturers' sets, so why on earth presume and insinuate that it would be any different only in the particular case of Carrera? It doesn't make any sense - except as a clear slur against Carrera and Carrera purchasers.

Certainly it is helpful if the Carrera clips are used to hold it together more firmly, but it isn't actually "imperative to use the Carrera track clips ". It is simply better. Certainly the track clips are difficult to apply but if they ARE used on this small figure 8, then the whole circuit can be conveniently picked up IN ONE PIECE and stacked neatly against a wall when necessary. It can be re-laid in seconds, with just as little difficulty. I have one and can confidently state this is a fact. *

If Carrera were as awful as Moped persistently paints it, the company would no longer be in business. I would suggest that Carrera is already doing rather well and is still constantly improving. It certainly does NOT deserve his constant public carping and I wish it would stop.

* One final technicality
QUOTE The sooner Carrera realise this and introduce a Scalextric track convertor, decent barriers, and track that does not require track clips the better. Do not be too proud Carrera to realise that this is was you need to do and sharpish! The fact is they won't do it.
The fact is that a FACT isn't actually a fact until it has provably happened or exists. So it is the height of absolute nonsense to describe something that has NOT happened as a FACT. Even more ludicrous when the writer brashly asserts that it never will be!

I was hoping we had seen an end to this kind of immaturity that does nothing but provoke juvenile arguments. It is completely out of place on a great site that is renowned for its cool common sense approach to our hobby.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have to say, for 30 notes, you'd make the money back selling the track peices on ebay. I'm seriously tempted, For the reasons people have already given. I like my sport Track, and not really thinking about changing, But I'll give anything a go. and for the cost of a sport scaley car I get the whole system for perusal. Not to mention the fact that carrera digital is going to be track-compatible.

what are carrera controllers like?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will be getting one if still available even if only for the track. I am sure they are the cars with old type chassis, but will get rid of them easy enough.
By the way Moped has a Carrera set and did not want to part with it when I offered to buy it from him

Gjb52

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Remember last year when a Carrera figure of 8 circuit was tested by a motor magazine. It got 1 star out of 5 because the track kept coming apart. In a typical Xmas household clips will be essential. You only have to give the track a slight nudge and it starts to come apart and I suspect it will be a greater requirement to clip the track with a bridge. That is my experiance anyway.

Anything that cannot take a bashing and be knocked about on Xmas day is a looser!

However, at £30 this set is something of a bargain and I will be going to Argos later before you lot rush down there to clear the sets out. I will let you know if it is the old style or new style cars. I could do with a bridge to permit even lanes without the use of crossovers and extend the track that GBJ52 kindly offered to buy but which I retained.

Moped

G

·
I had my wife buy mine and they only had this one set left.

Carrera produce a very good product. I wrote a mag article on their history for their 40th anniversary.

If anyone is interested I will post some of It?

RR

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thank you Cambridge Blue
What a bargain.
Just went to my local Argos and got the last one.
And I think the cars do have the new chassis but I cannot find the previous article that explained the differences. The cars are fitted with 2 magnets, 1 fixed at the rear and a sliding one in the middle.
Whatever, this is a real bargain as the whole set with 2 cars and 15ft track and power etc at £29.99 is not much more than 1 car on its own.
Thanks again C. Blue.

Gjb52

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your good wishes. Glad I could help a few. Know when I asked that there were not many sets left in the stores in my area so I would get in quick if you want one. Ring and reserve I would if you can. Cat no. 371/9123 It is unlikely I was told they would be getting many if any more in once they are gone.

CB

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Cambridge Blue
Thanks a lot for the posting and even more for saving me from having to look up the Ref. No. - lazy old bugger that I am! A quick phone call to my local Argos in 5 minutes time. You don't have that number too?

I DO remember QUOTE last year when a Carrera figure of 8 circuit was tested by a motor magazine.
I also remember that it was a Moped that posted it and that both the magazine reviewers and the Moped received similarly strong disapproving responses to these for displaying non-objectivity, imbalance and 'generally 'bashing' the brand.

All the more contrary, not to say perverse, that after assaulting Carrera, you agreed to sell your track, then backed out and are now rushing off to buy even more of it. It does little to promote a consistent image.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The sets are also on their website where you can reserve a set by using the "click and collect" option where they are reserved until the end of the next working day.
Happy hunting!

CB

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have just purchased the last set in stock at my local Argos and to confirm they do have this years new chassis on both the Bentley and the Audi. An absolute bargain for the enthusiast.

Reserve one on the Argos site quick and pop over to your local stockist to pick the set up.

Photographs later!

Moped

1 - 20 of 120 Posts