SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a new thread for Carrera track ideas. I did start one or two threads in the past but a couple of the designs could have been better and with some experience I thought I would start a new thread. (I have heaps of designs that I will choose from to expand this later)

If you have an idea, feel free to add it.

Today I was inspired by a layout on social media from the group "FSR" (First State Racing) in the US. My version is a little different, (theirs used some R4 pieces which may not be as readily available in some markets) but this track looked great for a narrow space, good for digital racing and the adaptation below actually doesn't need a whole lot of extra pieces to expand from a basic set. Just a six pack of R2 and a couple of R3 or alternatively, (x8) R2's and a pair of 1/3 straights and a few other pieces depending on what you have/can get. It is a bit short at around 9m (27 feet) but still looks fun to drive (the video I saw also looked great for driving)

Might not be big enough for everyone's taste but looks good for a narrow space.

Font Urban design Asphalt Diagram Animation

Font Engineering Illustration Animation Electric blue

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Thought I'd start a new thread for Carrera track ideas. I did start one or two threads in the past but a couple of the designs could have been better and with some experience I thought I would start a new thread. (I have heaps of designs that I will choose from to expand this later)

If you have an idea, feel free to add it.

Today I was inspired by a layout on social media from the group "FSR" (First State Racing) in the US. My version is a little different, (theirs used some R4 pieces which may not be as readily available in some markets) but this track looked great for a narrow space, good for digital racing and the adaptation below actually doesn't need a whole lot of extra pieces to expand from a basic set. Just a six pack of R2 and a couple of R3 or alternatively, (x8) R2's and a pair of 1/3 straights and a few other pieces depending on what you have/can get. It is a bit short at around 9m (27 feet) but still looks fun to drive (the video I saw also looked great for driving)

Might not be big enough for everyone's taste but looks good for a narrow space.

attachicon.gif
Modified 8.png

attachicon.gif
Modified 8a.png
Hasn't anyone ever told you size is not important?
biggrin.png
Seriously, it looks good to me!
thumbsup.gif

·
Greg Gaub
14,963 Posts
What I know as the Bertrand-8, as he was the first to share a layout with the long straight (as underpass) and that specific combination of turns connecting the ends up. It IS a great layout, and it's the one I modeled my D132 layout after. Your minimalist adaptation is very well done. I look forward to seeing your other designs, and I think it's great that you're making a thread for Carrera 124/132 track layouts. :)
thumbsup.gif

·
ParrotGod
8,210 Posts
Nice thread Slotspeed. One of part of the hobby that I like is about designing and sharing layouts and ideas.

I like Bartrand-8 and I have built one in the past based on scalex sport track.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hasn't anyone ever told you size is not important?
biggrin.png
Seriously, it looks good to me!
thumbsup.gif
Hahaha I walked right into that one lol.

MrF and Grunz, very interesting points about the Bertrand 8. I hadn't heard that name but had seen similar layouts previously, a bit of a search and I found an old thread that you started, with a very small example for a small space. The interesting thing I found (echoing points raised in that thread) is that its really easily scalable into different spaces and regardless of track system. Got me thinking I could try this down one side of our garage. Could put some shelving underneath for storage space. This is using bits that I already have...

Line Urban design Asphalt Font Screenshot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
This one here needs a warning... Only advisable/suitable if you have access to every side or you will have trouble reaching the centre for maintenance or re slotting cars. Not ideal for shorter people either unless you have a gripper stick.

Thought I would have a go at a circuit made from some common base set items (R1/60's and straights) plus a six pack of R2, R3 and R4 (12 pack) and a pitlane. Trying also to maximise straight length for a 16' space, though perhaps it would have been better to further smooth the entry onto the straight.

One day when I get time I will re-draw a narrower width version. This style of layout is not new, just my interpretation of an existing idea I have seen in a few places online.

Organism Font Line Urban design Rectangle

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,210 Posts
WOW! This is a really good one. In such a limited space you have included a nice variety of directions and corners, it has lots of space for borders and pitlane (I think it can be doubled).

I am definitely putting this in my "track ideas" folder.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the positive comment, there is actually heaps of space to work with, I'm used to working in a smaller space so had to deliberately stretch it out to use all the real estate! Hadn't thought of doubling up the pitlane, I deliberately left space there to add scenery or buildings, but there is definately space to spare.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been working towards building this layout. The one thing I wanted over everything else was a long straight! I am still undecided if I will go 3 tier or just two. I wanted a hill to climb up but I think space limitations are going to prohibit that. As much as I like 1:32 it is a major space hog.

Rectangle Font Line Art Material property

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
3 Ball Charlie, I like your temp track, that is really cool. I would probably go to R2 for the exit transition of the tight elevated bend, some of my cars don't like that particular transition (I don't have the required tuning skills!)

Here is one for a tight footprint, approx 4.5' x 9'. Would suit a table contoured to follow the curve of the R2 loop. I have not tested this one. Some visibility compromises but careful attention to the placement of elevations would open up some decent driver's sight lines.

Edit: Currently unable to attach image to post, seems to be an intermittent forum issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello ,

Finally , after all my items arrived ,this is the final layout I build : Rectangle Font Art Pattern Design .
It takes 3.45 x 1.35 meters space. Equal length of lanes 12.88 m. Average lap time 6.5 - 7 seconds. Best lap time so far 5.7 sec.
I run 1:32 cars without magnets as this is more fun and and make driving far more interesting with lof of drifting , braking and speeding!

Attachments

·
ParrotGod
8,210 Posts
WOW, another nice track in a very compact space. I might take inspiration to make it a bit longer to suit my space.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is another idea that might be suitable for digital racing in a reasonably compact footprint. It breaks a bit of a rule in that it has many parallel straights, so some may consider it boring. But it might have a purpose for those more interested in racing with several cars as there is quite a bit of track in a smallish space and probably enough lane changers? Was inspired by a wood track that I saw.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My current layout looks a lot like this, but not as many R3 as shown in this version (as I don't have many R3 track pieces but do have a lot of R2) The middle section can be straightened out to add another lane changer if desired.

I am considering rebuilding however for one of the Bertrand 8 designs mentioned earlier in this thread... Easier reach and longer straight, due to a different footprint.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts