SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm pretty new to the forum and to slot cars in general, and I've become so inspired by all of your forum posts. I've been reading with excitement the past few weeks, and I'm looking forward to learning and contributing as time goes by.

For now, I'm hoping to expand our Carrera Grand Victory Lane set (30019) into a modular track in the garage. Before I go about buying the necessary track/accessories, I'd like to confirm my design will work.

I've attached a layout, and here are measurements:
  • Track 1: 21.24m
  • Track 2: 21.93m
Here are some questions I have:
  • Pit Lane: I hope to race 4 or more cars in addition to 1 or 2 ghost cars so I would like an extended pit lane. I'm not exactly sure what's needed for this so I inserted 3 of the pit stop adapter units. Is this what's needed so that more than 1 car can refuel at the same time in the pits? Or is there another solution?
  • Wireless Controllers: I inserted an adapter unit with 4 wireless controllers on the track. Is there a strategy for their placement? Does this adapter unit require a separate power supply?
  • Power Supply: Will I need an additional power supply for this length of track?
  • Alignment: Should I be worried about the track not lining up at the top left just before the XLC? I'm hoping the track will be flexible enough for me to make it line up.
I know marshaling might be a bit difficult in the center section, but my plan is to trim the plywood sheets sides so we can get closer to the track in strategic areas. I've done a rough chalk layout on the garage floor, and I feel pretty good about the access.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and input. Happy 2022!

Scaled reptile Reptile Line Slope Font

·
Registered
122 Posts
There isn’t much flow to the track..and marshalling will be hard..buying specific pieces to make something like this is risky as you won’t be able to determine how drivable the thing might actually be until you try iy out..in the main, it doesnt appeal..but then I like flow…it’s a larger version of a set track without real benefit beyond length. You have an awkward space to fill and have an enjoyable experience..perhaps focus on the perimeter …it will be a hassle to stop all the time and retrieve cars from the centre

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isn’t much flow to the track..and marshalling will be hard..buying specific pieces to make something like this is risky as you won’t be able to determine how drivable the thing might actually be until you try iy out..in the main, it doesnt appeal..but then I like flow…it’s a larger version of a set track without real benefit beyond length. You have an awkward space to fill and have an enjoyable experience..perhaps focus on the perimeter …it will be a hassle to stop all the time and retrieve cars from the centre
Thanks! Maybe I can straighten out the main for a longer straight, but I didn't want to have super long straights on perimeter. I like the idea of small bends, wiggles, but not sure how that will affect race experience.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
I would suggest that you do not start work on anything permanent until you've driven the track, especially under race conditions, as there are always things you'll want to change, even if you like the overall layout.

To address your specific questions:

Pit lane - you only need one Fuel adapter. All cars cross over the sensor which tells the system they are in the fuel lane. Then they stop and do their thing. Cars should always drive as far up as they can to make room for cars coming in behind them. If you really plan to have 6 racers, then making it a little longer can help. Just use some more of the plain single lane straights.

Wireless controllers - depends on what kind? I'm thinking you have one of the older IR based wireless controllers that use a "Mobile" tower as the receiver. Best practice is to place it in the center of the track, in such a ways that all controllers can have line of sight to the tower. Sometimes it's best to have your track table lower than "table" height, if it's not on the floor, because people often lower the controller enough for the table to get in the way. Anything that gets between the controller and the tower will interfere with the control reception. It should be powered by the BB or CU, and not need any additional power source.

Power Supply - You don't need more or "better" power supplies for a large track. What you do need are called "power taps" or "power jumpers" or "boosters" or whatever. Basically, it's wires that connect from the rails next to the power base, to rails elsewhere in the layout. Joins between track pieces diminish power handling capacity, but wires don't, so they basically bring "good" power to places without it. Even if cars still "go" in those places, they might not have much "pep" and could use a little more power. How many should you do? Rule of thumb is to put one before each lane changer and/or every 10 track pieces. There is no such thing as "too many" power taps.

Alignment - That misalignment will not be a problem in real life. The track has enough give that everything else will be able to shift enough to make that match up nicely. Well done on minimizing that gap, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would suggest that you do not start work on anything permanent until you've driven the track, especially under race conditions, as there are always things you'll want to change, even if you like the overall layout.

To address your specific questions:

Pit lane - you only need one Fuel adapter. All cars cross over the sensor which tells the system they are in the fuel lane. Then they stop and do their thing. Cars should always drive as far up as they can to make room for cars coming in behind them. If you really plan to have 6 racers, then making it a little longer can help. Just use some more of the plain single lane straights.

Wireless controllers - depends on what kind? I'm thinking you have one of the older IR based wireless controllers that use a "Mobile" tower as the receiver. Best practice is to place it in the center of the track, in such a ways that all controllers can have line of sight to the tower. Sometimes it's best to have your track table lower than "table" height, if it's not on the floor, because people often lower the controller enough for the table to get in the way. Anything that gets between the controller and the tower will interfere with the control reception. It should be powered by the BB or CU, and not need any additional power source.

Power Supply - You don't need more or "better" power supplies for a large track. What you do need are called "power taps" or "power jumpers" or "boosters" or whatever. Basically, it's wires that connect from the rails next to the power base, to rails elsewhere in the layout. Joins between track pieces diminish power handling capacity, but wires don't, so they basically bring "good" power to places without it. Even if cars still "go" in those places, they might not have much "pep" and could use a little more power. How many should you do? Rule of thumb is to put one before each lane changer and/or every 10 track pieces. There is no such thing as "too many" power taps.

Alignment - That misalignment will not be a problem in real life. The track has enough give that everything else will be able to shift enough to make that match up nicely. Well done on minimizing that gap, though.
Yeah, I was definitely going to race it a bit before affixing the track pieces to the plywood. And thanks so much for your answers, for they're so helpful, especially about the pit lane and power supply.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't be surprised if what you design on a track designer doesn't actually work for real. I put together a Carrera track 3-4 months ago - it drove me mad! It doesn't have as much 'give' in it as Scalextric so getting the ends to meet up and getting good track connections, even with the red connectors, can be a challenge! Am jealous of the amount of space you've got. You'll end up with a great track!

·
David H
4,207 Posts
I too think the track doesn't have much flow. It'll be fiddly, probably unrewarding to drive and you'll almost certainly regret not having a long straight. That said, we're all different with our own likes and dislikes, so what I like, you may not.

I like the idea of small bends, wiggles, but not sure how that will affect race experience.
Negatively, I reckon! :)

However, without altering your original design too much, here's a modification that does at least give you a decent straight on which your cars will be able to stretch their legs. I used on old version of Ultimate Racer to draw it, and using that software, this track joins properly and won't need to be pushed, pulled or stretched to get the ends to meet properly.
Jaw Reptile Organism Scaled reptile Line

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I too think the track doesn't have much flow. It'll be fiddly, probably unrewarding to drive and you'll almost certainly regret not having a long straight. That said, we're all different with our own likes and dislikes, so what I like, you may not.

Negatively, I reckon! :)

However, without altering your original design too much, here's a modification that does at least give you a decent straight on which your cars will be able to stretch their legs. I used on old version of Ultimate Racer to draw it, and using that software, this track joins properly and won't need to be pushed, pulled or stretched to get the ends to meet properly.
View attachment 291337
Funny, I was just looking at that the layout and about to turn that into a long straight when I saw your reply. I think you and others are correct in that I need a long straight for the cars to exercise some speed. I'll work that into my design, and thanks so much for the input.

·
ParrotGod
11,090 Posts
I agree what the other have suggested above: unless you want to build a rally stage, a more flowy layout will help with racing.
Dopamine's is an improvement over yours but i wonder if you have space for a more regular table and work out from there.
You also mentioned modular in your post but I cannot see any modularity in your design.
Maybe you want to expand on that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree what the other have suggested above: unless you want to build a rally stage, a more flowy layout will help with racing.
Dopamine's is an improvement over yours but i wonder if you have space for a more regular table and work out from there.
You also mentioned modular in your post but I cannot see any modularity in your design.
Maybe you want to expand on that?
I'm going to work on a layout with more flow and see what I can some up with. My plan for a modular layout is, once a final design has been tested and approved, I'll affix the track to individual sheets of plywood but in a way where the plywood can be pulled apart with the track still affixed. This will allow me to break down the track and store the plywood (with track affixed) on their sides so they take up less room. I'll try to line up the track on the plywood where section breaks can align with plywood breaks as much as possible, or make custom cuts to the plywood so they align better. I figure I might have to have a few track pieces that are fully removed and then re-attached as "connectors" when the plywood/track is set up each time. I'll use sawhorses to support the plywood for easy break-down/assembly also.

I'm still working on the feasibility of this idea, but some posts I've seen have been encouraging. I'm also exploring using 1" thick foam insulation sheets instead of plywood as the base since they're so much lighter and I could handle them by myself (I think). Running to Lowe's tomorrow to inspect those sheets in person and get a feel for them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
What is your track inventory like? If you had a 6 pack each of R2 and R3 plus a 12 pack of R4 you could do this if you have room? go to post #6 I’d like to think my layout designs are influenced by the fluid ideologies of the experts... I’m not there yet but this one I think is kind of ok.

Looks like this
Product Organism Rectangle Font Line

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What is your track inventory like? If you had a 6 pack each of R2 and R3 plus a 12 pack of R4 you could do this if you have room? go to post #6 I’d like to think my layout designs are influenced by the fluid ideologies of the experts... I’m not there yet but this one I think is kind of ok.

Looks like this
View attachment 291499

That's a nice track, and it incorporates quite a bit of what I'm looking for. My track inventory is some 1-60 curves and some straights at this point. I'm going to look at a few more layouts and see what kind of inventory I'll need to make 2-3 different layouts. I know it won't be cheap, but I like the idea of having enough track on hand to try a few different things. Appreciate the terrific feedback and suggestions! It really motivates me to keep working on it.

·
Greg Gaub
16,847 Posts
To be brutally honest (blame the drink!), when I saw your first layout, I immediately assumed you were a guy who bought a few sets and had piles of R1 turns that you felt you needed to make use of. Now that I know that's not the case, I'm SO glad that you have seen what can be done with sectional track, and are having a re-think.

For the love of slots, do NOT buy that many R1 turns! If you need/want to stick to a budget, then I would suggest you draw your planned table in your designer, then plop down the parts you DO have, THEN plop down a pack of turns OTHER than R1 turns, such as R2/3/4. I believe packs are sold in 180 degree turns, except for R4? Don't quote me on that. But then, with the variety of pieces you have on the screen, start planning things out. Use wide radius pieces at the beginning of turns, and tighten up as needed. Have at least one straight prior to any lane changer or lap sensor/counter track (preferably have those at the ends of straights, not near the beginning or in the center). Post your creations and ask for feedback. Take advantage of our experience so that you can cut to the chase and have a layout (or three) that are already likely to be great to race on (not just make the car go on, but RACE on).

Or don't. Some people enjoy learning all these things on their own. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha, ha! Definitely look forward to the feedback so I'll be sure to post my other layouts after I get 2-3 that I think are fitting the bill. And yes, I'll be sure to incorporate a variety of turns. I should mention that I came across this Suzuka layout which had inspired me to use so many bends in my initial design. What are thoughts on the Suzuka layout? Is it too busy and not good for racing?

Vertebrate Reptile Mammal Scaled reptile Organism

·
Registered
583 Posts
one thing that nobody has mentioned yet , and that is when you decide to FIX down the track to your base board modular pieces ,make sure the fixing method you use ALLOWS for expansion and contraction ,cos carrera track EXPANDS a lot with heat .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts