SlotForum banner

Carrera track input

9K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  PatB 
#1 ·
First off, I'm pretty new to the forum and to slot cars in general, and I've become so inspired by all of your forum posts. I've been reading with excitement the past few weeks, and I'm looking forward to learning and contributing as time goes by.

For now, I'm hoping to expand our Carrera Grand Victory Lane set (30019) into a modular track in the garage. Before I go about buying the necessary track/accessories, I'd like to confirm my design will work.

I've attached a layout, and here are measurements:
  • Track 1: 21.24m
  • Track 2: 21.93m
Here are some questions I have:
  • Pit Lane: I hope to race 4 or more cars in addition to 1 or 2 ghost cars so I would like an extended pit lane. I'm not exactly sure what's needed for this so I inserted 3 of the pit stop adapter units. Is this what's needed so that more than 1 car can refuel at the same time in the pits? Or is there another solution?
  • Wireless Controllers: I inserted an adapter unit with 4 wireless controllers on the track. Is there a strategy for their placement? Does this adapter unit require a separate power supply?
  • Power Supply: Will I need an additional power supply for this length of track?
  • Alignment: Should I be worried about the track not lining up at the top left just before the XLC? I'm hoping the track will be flexible enough for me to make it line up.
I know marshaling might be a bit difficult in the center section, but my plan is to trim the plywood sheets sides so we can get closer to the track in strategic areas. I've done a rough chalk layout on the garage floor, and I feel pretty good about the access.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and input. Happy 2022!

Scaled reptile Reptile Line Slope Font

See less See more
#37 ·
Small suggestion... If you wanted to slowly increase your variety of curve radius investment over time, I'd start with (x4) R2 (or just get a 6 pack) and change the first turn after the CU, to look like this. Once you get some experience with the layout as it is, you will find that it will flow a bit better by this modest alteration...

Font Line Rectangle Screenshot Scaled reptile

#38 ·
Great thread here, this new guy is learning a lot. I do have one question, though, what are you guys using for track design software? Is it available on the internet, and is it free? If anyone has a link to some decent, free design software I would very much appreciate that.

#40 ·
I, too, like the elastic idea. Mind you, given that Carrera track is, I think, polystyrene (haven't checked the markings, but it looks, feels and responds to poly cement like polystyrene), you may find that you don't get much relative movement anyway, as your boards will expand and contract at roughly the same rate as your track.

That's in contrast to wooden boards, which don't move much due to temperature changes, but creep all over the place due to humidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.