SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have our favorite cars. The ones we reach for before all the others.

Then there are the ordinary cars. The ones that don't stand out with all sorts of crazy badges, stripes, and hood scoops. Grocery getters so to speak.

Not all Cuda's had a hemi engine. Some came with a 225-cubic inch slant-6. Plain, ordinary cars. I bought this none-hemi Barracuda many years ago from a hobby shop in Florida long before I had a track. They were almost giving them away at $10.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

The original chassis did not run very well. A dash chassis was a simple solution. It also solved the issue of replacing the original Tuff-Ones wheels and tires.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

No badges or hood scoops looks nice and clean. Thank you very kindly for looking at my 225, slant-6 Barracuda!

Now it's your turn. Please show us the back of your slot car parking lot?

Cheers,
Ken

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rich,

Thank you again for posting that article. I also appreciate the updates within it too. It helped me get started down this road in proper fashion. I have almost every tool you've recommended in the article.

Just for the record. I'm not throwing any of the Johnny Lightning or Auto World chassis away. I hope to fix every one... one of these days. This thread was more of a "show us what you got" sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cj,

Thank you very kindly.

Ouch. That's what slot car shows and flea markets are for. Hunting is a lot of fun. You'll never meet more 50+ year old children than at a slot car show. Count me as one of them.

It's never too late for a second, third, or fourth childhood. It's never too late to be late!

Ken

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another car without markings. Lacking RT stripes. No six-pack or hemi badges. Just a hood scoop. Not quite the "Vanishing Point" movie car, but close.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Please excuse the larger drag-race tires on the rear. Dash wheels easily accept standard AFX size tires. ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found another car that looks like most of the 1970, 454-Chevelles. But no stripes, and a nice humble "350" badge on the nose of the fender. It's just a Malibu!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Wheel

At first I looked at the badge on the trunk and thought "It's just a blob of paint". Super macro shows that it might actually say "Chevrolet Malibu". Crazy tampos are so small.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Automotive design

Thanks for looking at my ordinary 350-V8 small-block Malibu!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I found another car that looks like most of the 1970, 454-Chevelles. But no stripes, and a nice humble "350" badge on the nose of the fender. It's just a Malibu!

View attachment 293141
View attachment 293142

At first I looked at the badge on the trunk and thought "It's just a blob of paint". Super macro shows that it might actually say "Chevrolet Malibu". Crazy tampos are so small.

View attachment 293143

Thanks for looking at my ordinary 350-V8 small-block Malibu!
I bought this Johnny Lightning Chevelle* as well as an orange Charger back in 2000, during my 2nd excursion into slot cars. With my third HO renaissance recently (nominally due to my 5 year old son), we discovered the 2 Johnny Lightning cars in storage. Curiously, I noticed they look like brand new. I ran them down the track and I could see why. The tires are like eggs and the rear axle has no suspension. I know many moan about the loose Auto World rear axles but from what I can see so far, they act as having some suspension. Anyhow, new tires and wedging/taping shoes do help a lot with JL chassis. But alas, after a crash, one has stopped working entirely. I wonder if a wire broke? My point of this: JL chassis are near turds. The AW with magnet removed are much better. I too plan to buy some Dash motor chassis to replace the JL chassis. 😁

P.S.*I had a full size Chevelle Malibu in the exact same color. :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rich's article on blueprinting a chassis is great info.

If you own an American Motors AMX. The slightly longer AW chassis lines up with the wheelbase better than Aurora/Dash/Wizzard. Some AW chassis need to remain under their cars. Blueprinting really helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That Maliboo is sweet. Yeah, I was racing a lot of RC and space was at a premium and we had some friends with younger kids and away all my old slot car stuff went. Least it was out to good use. When the world was a little more normal Kim and I did our fair share of estate sales. Don't think I've ever seen slots at one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Ken, many of my cars come off the back lot. The rest come from the wooded area behind the back lot.

Care to tell us how you nailed the accent/trim work on that Riv?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bill. The cars in your wooded area put my best cars to shame.

I can't take any credit for anything about the car. It was purchased that way. I was lucky to have found it. Auto World can sure do a nice job on body details and tampo printing on some of these cars.

Cheers,
Ken

1 - 20 of 32 Posts