SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about getting 5 cars off of Ebay without mags and I would want to run them on my Scaley Classic track.

Would they be hard to handle on my tracks and would they have a lot of wheelspin? Check out the 2 tracks I have on the Slot Car 2WD/4WD topic in the Cars section.

Many thanks to anyone who reads or replies to this message.

G

·
Hello Mr Max.

They should have no problem on Scalextric Classic track as it seems to have more grip than the newer "Sport" track that has been released.

Baz

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I couldn't agree more that the non magnet cars will run better on Classic than Sport.

Scalextric Classic has taken a few criticisms of late, just to remind myself of all the fuss, I recently built a temporary circuit cobbled together with my old Scalextric track to see if it really is as bad as some people have mentioned, I certainly don't recall it was when I used to have a Classic setup many years ago.

I ended up building a temporary track with a long straight, the warping was not a problem, just scrap the mangled sections (take care when future packing the track to prevent any further warping) The power was okay with an original seventies block, okay I was on my own & with one car it was ace!

I initially restricted my driving to racing cars that were of the time when Scalextric Classic track was at its prime, old sixties, seventies cars, all non magnet and they ran great! Traction out of bends with nice controllable slides (slides when you need them) and the cars just screamed down the straight. The throttles are okay hopeless for today's cars, but I still like the original design (a bit small though, pesky kids) although I'm probably the only person who does. However these throttles were dug out of the loft and for controlling older cars they were great, I quietly like to think the older Classic throttle is better than the version supplied with today's sets.

Anyway, back on track, to be completely thorough in my research, I then moved on to later cars such as Ninco etc. ah, immediately problems such as guides (which are too deep for the slot so they clicked on the struts at the bottom of the rail) rear there ugly head. However the biggest headache is the throttles again, unless you restrict yourself to non magnet cars with smaller motors, fine... just forget Carrera, heavy magnet Fly cars as they just either sit there smoking the controller or rocket off like an on-off switch with no in between. The magnets with the raised rails wreaks havoc,talk about über downforce.

Right I better quit with my reminiscing and answer the question, the cars will run fine on Classic and IMHO better than on Sport. The trouble is with Sport the surface for the majority of non magnet cars is just too slippery, if the surface was more abrasive say, a similar(ish) surface to a blackboard paint texture? (only example I can think of), then it would be bloody amazing, again loads of people will disagree.

I hope you know what I am getting at, Sport for the cars it is designed to run is very good, just not so for older cars/non magnet without preparation (weight, silicone tyres). The Sport kerbing doesn't help with its lip... hint: old kerbs are better.

So Classic for your non magnet cars they will be fine!

Jamie

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
I run all types of cars on my classic track. Non-magnet cars are my preference.

Let's not forget that the classic track was designed in the 60's and at the time no cars had magnetraction.

M

·
Registered
38 Posts
Non-mag cars work very well on Scalex Sports, Classic and SCX track provided you occassionally clean the tyres Use your favourite tyre cleaning process (tape, WD40 etc) and you may be surprised how much grip that clean standard tyres have.

Lastly, you will need borders or at least guard rails to catch the car in the outer lane from falling off.

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
hmm..... hadn't thought about that (no Sport club tracks in Italy) : then what about SSD for non-mag cars ??

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Can I please add the caveat that your Classic track should be as flat as you can possibly get it? Having been convinced (possibly) that running without magnets is the 'proper' way to go slot racing, and that my cars would be much less likely to damaged as the cornering speeds are significantly lower, I then proceeded to have the biggest and most damaging crashes I have ever had when cars took off on the straight. Some cars are more susceptible than others - Proslot Toyotas seem to have a death wish, as do Fly sidewinders and the Fly Racing Porsches, Lolas and Saleens. Getting really good grip only made the problem worse, of course, as my lovingly-built bolides would take the opportunity to lighten the front end under acceleration even more, and thereafter dash to an urgent appointment with the barrier, then wall. Having said all that, non-mag rally cars are great fun, Ninco cars seem all to work well (maybe the sprung guide helps?) and you can of course run huge numbers of laps without the motors getting too hot. High-downforce prototypes wagging their tails in a happy fashion is a bit weird, of course, so I just pretend I'm racing in the wet. On slicks.

Mooster

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Mooster abandoning magnets?

In the words of Roy Orbison,

Mercy!

Man, they'll be using helicopters to catch space rockets next!

[Edited to remove laughable spelling of your man Roy's surname.]

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Wankel,

you'll get that irony back in spades, when you're caught buying your first digital set !!

Beppe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi,

Classic Tracks rocks, especially with the Metro 6R4's!.....you can stick your modern stuff where the sun dont shine Mr!.

Seriously, There is enough market for all sets, from Classic to Digital. Depends on your level and era of interest. Classic is grippy but Sport is flatter!.

Go non mag 6R4!!

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
Beppe
on my sport track I run the vast majority of cars w/o magnets and they run quite happily - not as much grip as ninco but it does not matter as everyone is running on the same surface. If you add SSD cross-over tracks in to existing non Sport tracks then you will have to alter your driving style for those particular corners - but that can just add to the fun.

Matt

·
Ric Woods
817 Posts
Yep, who'd have thought it, Wankel? I popped along to the Eastcote club for a look, and the next thing I know is I'm racing wobbly cars the whole time! Can't resist giving the pole-shifting mag cars a quick blast from time to time though...it's the smell of melting motor that gets me every time.

Mooster

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello Chaps

I´m glad, not to say pleased that i am not the only one that prefer the old classic track rather then the new one. The main reason for me is that the classic track provides better grip and tracktion. And as you all know...power is nothing without controll.
. And I need all the grip i can get
There are offcours downsides to this classic system aswell. They are hard to obtain. And they are a bit more tricky to assemble. And last but not least...the rails are a bit higher up from the track surfice than on the sport system, and that makes all the cars with mags to stick to the track a little bit to nice. At least for my liking. Anyway i have managed to get my hands on 50 new scalextric classic pieces, both standard straights and standard curves. And i also got my hands on a Goodwood chikane...boxed and brand new. I will use that in my pit lane setup, and it will be great....
i hope.

regards

Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts