Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just wanted to thank Allan (aka Swissracer) for holding his name contest with regard to his Swiss Slot venture.

As the benefactor of the contest and having just received the reward last night I thought I'd post a pic and a quick comment or two about the car.

I must preface my comments with the fact that I don't own any Cartrix slots. My collection may be at 100 cars but this marque has eluded me.

All I can say is WOW, thanks Allan for opening my eyes to this quiet Spanish make.

The body on this car is a very nice model. It captures the essence of a 1:1 BMW Z3 quite well. It appears small but the protoype is very small and I think we're all getting stretched up in size from 1:32 in our minds eye by other makes (VMG!).

The red finish is nice and the grill looks good. Nit pickers might suggest the front end is a tad high off the track and the interior dials are stickers not paint, but these are minor finishing details and don't bother me.

Afterall this is a slot car so how does it RUN!

This is where the WOW comes into full force.

(I am non mag, Ninco and my track is still under construction I have the layout up for final bridge and slope testing before I mount the track to the boards and I have 2 of the 4 lanes working...)

The mechanicals in this car are very nice and relatively precise. Getting at the magnet to remove it is a two step process (off with the body and unscrew the motor mount inside). Once back together the car goes to the track.

This is a front motored car with the long centre drive shaft like the Fly front mounts. The tires are soft rubber and slightly grooved.

On the instalation lap, there are no problems. Smooth gears, no pick up issuses. Quiet and resposnive, its truly ready to run and run it did!

The tires softness and composition are very well suited to Ninco track wihout magnet providing excellent mechanical grip and a good feel for the limit.

I have a 16' straight that runs from one right turn hairpin to another. Its hard acceleration followed by hard braking and then up the backside with two S type complexes one slight and quick the other big and medium.

The Bimmer rockets down the straight with minimum wheel spin on exit. And slows nicely and consistently for the end hairpin. It handles the 2 S complexes easily and confidently.

It is one very nimble and quick slot car. I can't wait to finish my construction, get the timing equipment up and see what kind of damage this car can do to the top of the GT tables.

Cartrix SHAMES Fly in terms of how a front engine slot car can run right out of the box!

My only beef is that the driver's head looks off. Could be an anlge or size thing or a helmet mold, but given everything else, this too can be forgiven.

I am going to do up this car in a special Swiss race livery and replace the head with an extra Fly Classic head I have from a Porsche 908... I'm thinking of adding a roll bar and rear wing...

You can check out their site at: Cartrix Webpage

I can't wait for their Accura NSX in race livery!! if they can get the tampo thing down, then this brand might just emerge from the shadows and take its place toward the front of the grid!

Thanks again Allan!!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Ken
Congratulations on winning the prize with a well thought name for Swissy's swishy new slot pad!
Also, thank you for taking the time to give us all a review of the car - it sounds like you got a good un!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Just a quick seconding of the praise for the Z3...

Can't stand the real hairdressers car(*) but I thought the 'Raid' car with the hardtop looked too cute to resist. Put it on the club track (Ninco) after the evenings racing and spent many laps running against a tweaked Scaley GT-40 (two bar mags). Found that without doing the slightest thing to the Z3 not only could I outbrake him but I could leave him for dead through the twisty bits as well. Outstripped on the long straight thing where the Beemer tops out early though.

Was concerned at first about what felt like a very tight gear mesh 'out the box' but no worries at all when running.

Conversely I was talking to someone at the Oaklands club last week who said he had given up attempts to get it set up correctly for his wood track! Horses for courses no doubt.

Will be keeping my eyes open for future Cartrix stuff...

Coop

(*) he says hypocritically, owning an MR-2 and having owned 2 TR7s and a Ford Puma

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I am glad you like it!
They are definately one of the under rated makes - check out the 'gemballa' special Porsche Boxter if you can find one..

Better tyres and uprated motor.
In the Enzo test I did with Thomas ahile back the Z3 and the Boxter came in the top 4 and before Listers, Astons and Callaways.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hi Swiss,

"They are definately one of the under rated makes - check out the 'gemballa' special Porsche Boxter if you can find one.."

you mean that car where the windscreen rollbar breaks quite easily?

·
Registered
773 Posts
@ Biberle - I've had the first Z3 and Boxter from Cartrix since they have been available - raced them a lot - and have NO breaks up to today!
Secret is - don't race them faster as they are capable to do

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hallo Thomas,

Swiss visited me in Würzburg beginning of this year. He didn't know too much about Cartrix this time, so I let him drive my gemballa. He got so enthusiastic about this great little car, that he crashed it down from a bridge and smashed the frame of the windscreen.

war also quasi ein kleiner Insider...

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
That's the one Biberle

I still swear it was a dodgy joint on the bridge though..

Yeah yeah! it was a dodgy joint (three of them) that got me off on the bridge at Igualada too!

It has NOTHING to do with my vertigo guv'

1 - 8 of 8 Posts