SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
gentlemen, it would be wrong of me to comment on others modeling, butb i would like to make a few points on producing the older cars.todays gp cars are computer generated, one being identical to its stablemate, but pre-60,s they where all hand made individually, its stablemate would have mods fitted that the first one did not carry as there was no development programs as we see today, they where modified track side "on the hoof" and between races. anyone who has studied the history of ferrari will know that before the 1960,s his cars could be classed as specials, as every one was different to the next even though they carried the same ident number!! going a little farther back, mercedes ran 4 w 154 cars at donington in 1938, NON of them where the same as any of there other team mates and as for the mk 1 BRM that changed by the hour! so when one produces one of these cars its almost imposible to say that is the definitive car. there are two schools of thought when making a model{of anything} 1, you produce it with every diamention correct, but looking at the full size car and then at a model of it , something odd happens,the perspective changes the model dose not look correct, a case in point is the ford anglia as raced in the 50,s, make a model of this car correct to the drawings and it will look too thin and tall, if you lower the hight and widen the body it "feels" right. this is the thinking of the other school of modeler, to capture the "soul" of the car very fine adjustments are made to the model to get the "feel" of the full sized car.rex hayes, one of the finest car model makers of all time stated he looked at a car, and the three point that stood out to him when he first saw it, he would slightly overstate them. the purists will sayNO, the soul seekers will say YES, believe me to get a model dimensionaly correct and get the "feel" is very, very hard. my method , for what it is worth, is to make the basic shape from a good drawing, then with the help of a vidio of the car playing on slow forward i add the "feel" factor hoping to get something that isabout right , but what i see and what another modeler will see could be at odds witheach other, so please, dont shoot the piano player, he,s doing his best mac p

· mac pinches
2,134 Posts
em i quite right with his points about the fullsize 196 chassis and wheels, i tryed to keep my coments restricted to the bodywork, as i am a model car maker that happen to put electric motors in them, anyone who has seen my chassis will know they are S H one T so i did not comment on, but it dose seem a little strange that time is taken making the master model, pre and production moulds, decals ect, ect then fitting wheels and axles that are open to question, withh closed body cars , one sees only the side walls of the tyre and wheel, but with open wheelers , the tyres and wheels are aprox 25%of the viewed model, affecting the stance and look of the car. a thing that hits me about theses posts, 20 years ago we purchased a car model and ran it, no probs, today they are under close scrutiny as soon as they leave the factory, are we getting picky, are we more descerning, requiring more for our money or more knowledgeable, maybe there is another thread here? mac p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.