Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I can only agree wholeheartedy!
That elegant review may well have convinced me to take the lock off my piggy bank - and I had been SO good for the last few months!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great review, looks like a great car; what with that and the scaly classics, its making a nice RTR line-up...

But i'm not into cars of that era, no no no, honest...

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (astro)But i'm not into cars of that era, no no no, honest...
I thought that I wasn't either until I raced the Scalextric Classics in Switzerland. Casual racing with Scott and Mr Material was quite fun. It would be good to see some clubs adopt this type of car as a series-race.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Its been said before but it's worth repeating - cars of this era had much more visual character than today's look-alikes, which are only distinguishable by their sponsor colour schemes. It wouldn't matter what colour these characters were painted, they remain recognizable. I really do like that.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That`s what I like too. They seem to have more character and individuality. To me wings and things are for aircraft, I don`t like the sponsors ads etc. I really hope Doug was correct when stating there could be more of this vintage on the way, let`s hope.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
don't know whether computerised aerodynamics or computerised market research is more to blame, but modern street and racing cars are often very anonymous. However - I think the era of intersting car design lasted well into the late seventies, maybe even the mid eighties; and having said that, I believe car aesthetics is begining to return

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I might be showing signs of newbie naivey here, but if there are enough fans of rtr, scratch and pre add oldies who want to get together why don't we? These cars are hardly the kind of thing for rough and tumble club racing every week, but if there are enough people who enjoy them and want to give them an outing...??

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
What a wonderful review and great photographs.

I'm so pleased you threw away the magnet, these cars don't need them, (does any car?), and your obvious enjoyment at driving this car was there for everyone to share.

Thank you so much.

Regards

Alan

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
should be enough of these cars around to have a sundays racing somewhere, it may even spur me into building a few, to run that is, any idea,s folks? mac p ps the lancia ferrari d50a shuld be up and running soon that should get me off of my rear mac p

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Well then, let's see what we can come up with. My suggestion is a one-off event in 2006 that everyone can look forward to.

As a completely random suggestion I'd simply break classes down to the age of the car designs, ban all magnets and leave the competition element in the background...

Pre-war sports cars (bring out your Scaley Bentleys)
Pre-war GP cars (MacPinches and so on)
Sports cars 1950-1960 (my, there's quite a choice these days if you've got £100 to burn)
GP cars 1950-1960 (Scaley, Cartrix, MacPinches... you name it!)
GT/Sports cars 1961-1970
Scalextric Vanwalls/Maseratis (easy enough starter class)
Scalextric GT40s (ditto above)
SlotForum Proxy F1 class

Of course if it goes down well enough then maybe there'll be more of them, but rather than get into whats, ifs and maybes I'll ask around a bit first and see if we can't do something interesting first off. More to follow.

Hopefully much more!!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Excellent stuff there my friend!

A couple of tips for the touch up points you made..

Darken down wheels with too much chrome by washing in dark indian ink. Don't over use and let the ink settle into the crevices.
For the exhaust simply dry brush ( a technic where you brush almost all the paint from a brush head then gently run it along the raised edges of a detail or in front of an exhaust outlet etc)

I also gave in and ordered one on the strength of that review. I have both Scaley old timers and my interest in these mythical beasts increases weekly.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Just to clarify a point that was raised with me by a couple of members: The shops linked to from the Buy it now button all sell the car. If it's not in stock it can be ordered. They are still available.

The French shop: Univers-Scalex.com does sell to people from other European countries. Send them an email if you have a query or don't understand their shopping cart system - they do speak English.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Also Stirling Moss version due out next.

Here's mine with dulled down wheels (Tamiya flat aluminium) and heat stained exhaust (clear orange and blue). I have one great side on shot of the car in a book and to be fair it shows no heat staining on the exhaust, but hey, if nothing else it will aid differentiating mine from others at the track.

Still got to work on 'Fangio' as he's not looking himself. Might try to get a spare Hornby Maserati driver since that does look like him.

·
Registered
571 Posts
What a great review! How many of us has it convinced to part with our hard earned cash?

Before I read and saw that review I had been mildly interested in this and the Scalextric cars but had decided my wallet couldn't stretch to yet another era of cars. On the strength of that review I changed my mind and I ordered one straight away!

What a great sales pitch for Cartrix! (Plus Scalextric as I'll need some competitors!)

JS

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Scott (or anyone else who has the appropriate resources!) -

any chance of some pics with the scalextric classics side by side with the merc? And for the benefit of some-one who doesn't know history that far back - did they race together ever? (the 1:1s, not your slot cars!)

cheers

Dave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts