SlotForum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 13 Oct 2004, 13:19)... did they race together ever?<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Mercedes raced from 1954 to 1955.

In 1955 a Mercedes Benz 300SLR flew into the crowd at LeMans, killing 87 people. Mercedes Benz withdrew from motorsport due to this until 1974.

The Maserati was produced in 1952 and raced for two seasons before the rules were changed for the 1954 season. The Vanwall raced in 1957.

Basically these cars came from the same period, but didn't race together as the rules governing configuration were advancing all the time.

(edit: The Vanwall was not raced in 1961)

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
QUOTE The Maserati was produced in 1952 and raced for two seasons before the rules were changed for the 1954 season. The Vanwall raced in 1961

Sorry Nuro, Fangio won his 5th and last world championship in the 250F in '57, the same year that Moss was racing the Vanwall. I believe that Scaley have modelled these cars on one specific race but can't remember which at the moment.By '61 just about all GP cars were mid engined.

John

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
QUOTE (vfr750 @ 13 Oct 2004, 13:46)Sorry Nuro, Fangio won his 5th and last world championship in the 250F in '57, the same year that Moss was racing the Vanwall. I believe that Scaley have modelled these cars on one specific race but can't remember which at the moment.By '61 just about all GP cars were mid engined.

John
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right John, it was 1957. I was looking at the wrong car on one of the retailers sites.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My personal opinion is that the Maser and the Mercedes raced against each other 1954-55.

The Maser and the Vanwall raced against each other in 1957. The Mercedes and the Vanwall never competed.

The Scalextric models are I think taken from the 1957 German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring. (Which Fangio won in possibly his best ever race!)

Might be wrong and I expect 1000 people to tell me so!

JS

·
mac pinches
2,154 Posts
a meeting for these early birds would be a nice event, but to throw it open to so many classes would be far to large a meeting, remember each car to run on each lane, most entrants would have more than 1 car plus proxy stuff, you would be running for days, may i suggest GP cars up to 1939, and Gp cars post war to 1960, with strict scale rules for cars and tyres,{IMHO there is nothing so silly than seeing a 1934 alfa romeo with 1/2 inch dia wheels in slick form 1 inch across.} the rest of the car is open, it would be a nice sunday event, if it was found to be popular then it could be expanded to a larger event with other classes, more a gathering of gentlemen than a holigans bash!!! i have enough trouble fending off these under 50,s as it is! mac p

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Great looking little car. My Mum would like one of these as she used to watch Fangio in his days of greatness in British and Italian races.

I only hope that Cartrix knock the over-fancy metal presentation box on the head, reduce the limited number restrictions and give us future stylish cars like this one at affordable prices. The lines and detail of this car look miles better than the recent Scalex classic F1 releases.

Excellent review, by the way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just wondering, I looked in the review section, and didn't see a review of the scaley vintage f1.

The cartrix review hinted at reviewing them eventually and comparing lap times.

I have the Vanwall and Mauser and run them on carrera track, they slide all over the place. The Vanwall rolls, slightly slower than the Mauser, which will deslot easily enough itself, at least it doesn't turtle.

The Cartrix arrived today, I hope to test it tonight.

Before I start tweeking these things, I would like other folks input.

I don't want to completly rebuild them, mind you. Just make them a little more well matched and easier / more enjoyable to drive. A little lead, voltage adjustment, readily available tire and magnet swaps. Not a lot of motor swapping, soldering and dremmeling.

I really want to enjoy these cars, and future releases from both manufacturers.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have just received the Cartrix Maserati (Preview model - not yet on sale). It is very similar to the Mercedes, but mine is slightly faster.

I'll be showing it in Wolverhampton at the Early Bird GP race this Sunday.

I still don' have a set of the Scalextric Classics so I still can't compare them. Have to remedy that soon

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK, recieved and tested the cartrix.

a. The pickup was a standard fold, not the "scx" fold as pictured in the article.
b. The car would not run, the motor couldn't turn the gears, something was bound up. Took it apart, somehow got it to turn, lubed and put back together.
c. the two screws were so over torqued, I was afraid I would strip them getting them loose.
d. All unacceptable for a $65 RTR slot car, and would really frustrate a newbie.

After quick fix, the car took off. Adjustable voltage high amp PS, PM controllers, Carrera track. Just a few laps, but way faster than the Scaley offerings. I believe the gears will work in. A joy to drive, RTR, what I hoped the scaley issue would be. I'll buy more, scaley can keep those slippery devils, no mater how good they look. The cartrix will easily out run the scaley.

Not debating the mag/non mag issue and the possibilities of adding weight, removing/replacing magnets and tires, but RTR, cars need to be enjoyable to drive OTB, not a handfull like the scaley, especially when sold as toys, and a project for the experienced adult racer/hobbiest. (and not DOA, OTB, like the cartrix).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts