SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Was doing a little surfing this morning and came across Cartrix. Their wheels and tires look pretty nice, and they seem to have a nice selection of motors too. I hadn't heard of them before today (sorry, I live a sheltered life). So I searched for some reviews on Cartrix and found one in SlotCarGarage, and a couple of others, one written by a fellow in Australia. The reviews that I read gave the Cartrix cars and their running gear excellent ratings.

So what I was wondering; would any of you purchase Cartrix components to build your own slot cars (or parts to upgrade your current stable)? If if you would, which of their parts do you prefer?

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi Tim

Here is another little bunch of Cartrix Reviews
The Hyundai Maxi Tuning Accent gets a glowing write up!

There are an awful lot of Cartrix motor variations on the market and at least one Spanish site has hinted that Cartrix is coming to a point where they either will or would need to rationalise them because it's so confusing! I have almost no direct experience of Cartrix - only enough to assess their BMW as a rather noisy and over magged brute, but time and TLC could cure that perhaps!

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Hi Tim

Hope you are well.

The Cartrix stuff is very good, I really like their motors and their wheel/tyre combinations are first class. I just wish they would make some of the car types I like!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Fella's!

I'm doing alright... could be better, but alright.

Hey Alan, how are the chassis coming along? Hope they're running okay.

So...from what you guys are saying, Cartrix wheels and tires are first rate? Great! Nice I happened upon something good this time... my luck hasn't been the best these last couple of months.

They offer a couple of choices on compound tires... Do you find that one compound is better over the other? Or do you find the choice depends on what type of track you're racing on?

I like that they offer a number of different style rims. Something I can't quite figure out though... what size axle do they accept? Can't seem to find the data on that.

Thanks!

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

P.S. Just did a little more searching and found the axle dimensions... 2.4mm, which equates to 3/32 inches! Very cool!

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Tim,

Just browsing through SlotForum and noticed this thread, I am the one who wrote the Cartrix article that you were refering to earlier.

The quality of Cartrix parts is quite good. I've done a little ''product tesing'' over the last few months (nothing major, just messing around), all the parts I've used are very well made. Please note, they aren't ''perfect'', you still find the odd brass axle bushing that has too much slop, the occassional wheel that is out of round, but on the whole quality is on par with say, Ninco.

Tyres are very good quality. My favourite are the special racing slicks (Ref 1123/1124), I have a Scalextric Sport layout and these tyres suit it to a Tee.

Cartrix motors are also very good, nothing outrageous, offering more than enough power (and torque) to suit nearly anyones personal taste.

Motors I've used are the FX Sport (Ref1161) [email protected], as found in the standard spec BMW Z3 and Porsche Boxster.

The TZ Race (Ref 1162) 26,[email protected], this motor is fitted to a number of BMW Z3 and Porsche Boxster RTR cars. I've used this motor in a BMW Z3, very smooth power, good top end.

TX-2.3 (REF 1164) [email protected] 310g/cm torque, this is the motor fitted to the Cartrix Hyundai Accent Maxi-Tuning (featured in one of the articles I have written for HRW). It is an absolute pearler of a motor, offering very progressive, manageable torque with decent top end performance. It is ideally suited to our 17.5M AVE length layout, offering strong acceleration out of the technical parts of the circuit. Yes, 21500RPM isn't anything to write home about, but the torque of this motor makes it ideal for nearly all club/Home Racing applications.

TX-4 (REF 1175, although this is for the 4WD version) 20,[email protected] 330g/cm torque. This is the motor that is featured in the Hyundai Accent WRC (review at HRW). A more torquey motor than the TX-2.3, it is ideally suited to the 4WD layout of the Accent WRC. Again appearances (in specifications) can be deceptive, the Hyundai WRC/TX-4 combination holds the lap record for our layout.

The other model that I've used that features the TX-4 is the new Cartrix NSX. I received a ''pre-production'' version for a look at a little while ago.

I felt that this was a bit of overkill for the NSX, I would have much rather seen the less (slightly) torque/higher RPM combination of the TX-2.3 included in the package. With the TX-4, I found it hard to set up in regards grip out of corners. I feel that the lower torque rating of the TX-2.3 would make for a much smoother performing car (for ''magnet'' racing).

It is my understanding that CARTRIX is looking into the possiblity of including the TX-2.3 at a later date, it will be interesting to see if this eventuates. Mind you, if your club rules allow different types of tyres (i.e. Silicone's), the TX-4 equipped Cartrix NSX will be one heck of a ride on a technical layout!!!

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

MILLENNIUM RACEWAY Slot Racing at Darling Downs, Q.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I have used Cartix tyres in my race cars for some years and their performance has been excellent. I have done some serious testing with other tyres too, but Cartrix 1123/1124 has allways been the fastest on scalextric classic/sport track.

They also fit perfectly to Slot-It wheels

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow,
Thanks Rob. That's a lot of great information! And Nascarman, thanks for your comments too. I greatly appreciate the responses this thread is receiving. It's giving me a lot of "food for thought".

Best Regards,

Tim Johnson
Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

·
Registered
94 Posts
G'day Tim,

No problems at all. It's good to see fellow enthusiasts thinking ''outside the box'' and seeking something other than ''three meat and veg'' sometimes. There are some excellent products kicking about our hobby, it doesn't always have to be a ''name'' brand to be any good (as you'd already know!).

Best Wishes,

Rob Wessling.

MILLENNIUM RACEWAY Slot Racing at Darling Downs, Q.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE It is my understanding that CARTRIX is looking into the possiblity of including the TX-2.3 at a later date, it will be interesting to see

In a near future Cartrix will realese a new motor: TX-2.4 rating 24000rpm to and, if my memory do not fool me, with the same torque ot TX-2.3. Can be used in Hiundai and the Honda. In the Honda is need a special pinion from Cartrix. Nevertheless with this special pinion the TX-2.3 can be fitted in the NSX chassis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts